Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2015, 08:09 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Rollei RPX 25

I made a post on APUG about this film, my apologies if you've already read it. Just shot my first roll in 35mm, I really like this film! Develops great in Rodinal, super tight grain. I shot these with a Pentax Spotmatic F. Really does justice to the old tech.

11-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The rendering reminds of older, vintage photos but with modern clarity and "tightness". Nice!
11-14-2015, 11:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice looking film; I thick the bottom one has been scanned in back to front judging from the text
11-15-2015, 07:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
Nice looking film; I thick the bottom one has been scanned in back to front judging from the text
Ha, I do that all the time.

11-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice shots, nice rendition. If I may ask, where did you find the film? Somewhere here in Canada?
11-19-2015, 09:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hsteeves Quote
nice shots, nice rendition. If I may ask, where did you find the film? Somewhere here in Canada?
Thanks hsteeves! I believe I ordered it from the most excellent Argentix.Ca, they're a little Canadian independent film distributor.
11-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love the look of slow fine-grain films. Early on I often used Panatomic-X.
Given enough light and use of a camera support they're an excellent choice.

Chris

11-22-2015, 12:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I developed my first RPX 25 in 120 the other day. I haven't digitized it yet, but it's stunning film. I love the look and quality of Rollei films.
11-22-2015, 06:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
I developed my first RPX 25 in 120 the other day. I haven't digitized it yet, but it's stunning film. I love the look and quality of Rollei films.
I can only imagine it would be really amazing in 120, I'd love to try it some day!
11-22-2015, 07:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Since Rollei the legendary camera mfg went bankrupt, I'm wondering who is marketing film under the trademark, and what (f any) relationship it has to the previous owners (doesn't really matter, just curious, my first 'serious' camera was an SL35)

Rolleiflex Factory to be Liquidated at Auction: Here's a Look Inside
11-22-2015, 01:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Since Rollei the legendary camera mfg went bankrupt, I'm wondering who is marketing film under the trademark, and what (f any) relationship it has to the previous owners
Good question and I have the answer. Rollei films are made by Maco in Germany. So when Rollei announced their bankruptcy I contacted both Maco and Freestyle Photo to see what would become of the Rollei films. At the time, both said they would continue to be manufactured. I've seen no drop in Rollei availability, except for CR200 (but that's due to the difficulty in obtaining and maintaining emulsion quality and the cost in producing the film, as I understand it.)
11-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Good question and I have the answer. Rollei films are made by Maco in Germany. So when Rollei announced their bankruptcy I contacted both Maco and Freestyle Photo to see what would become of the Rollei films. At the time, both said they would continue to be manufactured. I've seen no drop in Rollei availability, except for CR200 (but that's due to the difficulty in obtaining and maintaining emulsion quality and the cost in producing the film, as I understand it.)
Thanks, that's a good lead, though it's still unclear who actually makes the film. On its web site, Maco bills itself as a "trading company", but does it own/manage consumer film-producing factories, or design/spec the films? Interestingly, the Agfa-branded consumer films which it also distributes are apparently mfg by Fuji.
11-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

On its web site, Maco bills itself as a "trading company", but does it own/manage consumer film-producing factories, or design/spec the films?
Maco direct is, as I understand it, the sales branch of Maco, which owns, operates, and uses the film production machines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maco_(film_company)

Maco makes some other brands of film, too, such as Adox and, I think, Bluefire.

I have heard that Agfa is being made by Fuji now, but I haven't been able to confirm it.
11-23-2015, 11:44 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Maco direct is, as I understand it, the sales branch of Maco, which owns, operates, and uses the film production machines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maco_(film_company)

Maco makes some other brands of film, too, such as Adox and, I think, Bluefire.

I have heard that Agfa is being made by Fuji now, but I haven't been able to confirm it.
I understand the distinction of "Maco direct", however this is the link I'm going by: HANS O. MAHN & CO. KG

Also: "The company behind Rollei as a film brand is Maco. They do not make their own film, they get the film from other companies, which changed over the years and included Efke and Forte in the past. Most of their film now is made by Gevaert in Belgium." (this dated 2011)
11-23-2015, 12:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

They do not make their own film, they get the film from other companies
That's curious and is exactly the opposite of what an acquaintance at a film reseller indicated.