Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
That's curious and is exactly the opposite of what an acquaintance at a film reseller indicated.
But wait, there's more!

"The Rollei RPX line is developed and made by Harman Technologies / IlfordPhoto for Maco / Rollei-Film. That is official.
So most probably the RPX 25 is also a Harman design.

We will have confirmation if we look at the box: If "Made in EU" is printed on it, it is from Harman.
If "Made in Germany" is on it (like on the Rollei Ortho 25, which is indeed an emulsion made by FilmoTec), it is from FilmoTec.

The film is definitely not from Agfa in Mortsel: Agfa cannot make such niche films, such small volume productions.
But Harman Technologies / Ilford is able to do such tiny production runs."

(interesting points made/raised in both threads I linked to)

11-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I developed my first RPX 25 in 120 the other day. I haven't digitized it yet, but it's stunning film. I love the look and quality of Rollei films.
K David, if any work out well from the roll, it would be great if you could post a few here. I'm interested to see other people's work with it.
11-23-2015, 05:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
K David, if any work out well from the roll, it would be great if you could post a few here. I'm interested to see other people's work with it.
Some of them turned out very well. I have to hit the darkroom to make proof sheets tomorrow but hope to have time to digitize soon.
11-26-2015, 06:33 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
"The Rollei RPX line is developed and made by Harman Technologies / IlfordPhoto for Maco / Rollei-Film.

If so I'd like to see a comparison of this film and Ilford Pan F Plus, including full sensitometric analysis.

Chris

11-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

So I did some darkroom prints on my 120 RPX 25 this week. It's not the hardest film I've ever tried to focus with a grain finder (that's Kodak 2383, which is a zero-findable-grain ISO 1.6 film), but RPX 25 is the second-hardest I've ever tried to focus. The grain s incredibly tiny and fine, but once I found it I noticed that it has a nice structure. I found that it prints with mixed results. I printed one image that was a bit dense due to over-developing. I also printed one that was about as spot-on as a negative can be. The over-developed negative, even with a 3.5 filter, looked flat. The other one, however, was stunning and required neither filtration nor dodging and burning. The detail, also, is incredible. I'll be digitizing all the negatives in December and will have more to report then about how the digital conversions behave.
11-28-2015, 03:04 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like a good candidate as well for processing as a reversal film:

dr5 CHROME - Black and White slide / B&W transparency process + THE ONLY RELIABLE SCALA PROCESSING WORLDWIDE - RPX-25

Have to try it when DR5 Chrome processing is back after their move.

Phil.
11-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always use an enlarging grain focusing aid. Using one with films like this is always a real PITA.

I miss my old Panatomic X so a few years ago in another fit of nostalgia I shot a few rolls of Pan F+.
I was disappointed with the results. Negatives were flat and a bit muddy, so I never pursued it.

Chris

11-28-2015, 05:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I miss my old Panatomic X so a few years ago in another fit of nostalgia I shot a few rolls of Pan F+.
I was disappointed with the results. Negatives were flat and a bit muddy, so I never pursued it.
PanF+ is really hard. Unlike HP5+ (as an example), PanF+ only has one emulsion layer (as I understand it.) I've had good results with PanF+ but I pull it to 25 ISO and then add contrast (either in Photoshop or in the darkroom with filters.) Pulling it reigns in the highlight detail loss while also preserving a lot of shadow detail. But it's not a film that lends itself to filterless printing.
11-29-2015, 08:28 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I always use an enlarging grain focusing aid. Using one with films like this is always a real PITA.

Chris
True, I tried this Rollei 25 films a few years back and was able to enlarge up to 40x60 inches
What I found in the old Tech Pan and Efke25 is that I needed to develop in Rodinal 1+100 or 1+200
11-30-2015, 04:39 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm wondering who is marketing film under the trademark
Maco/Mahn in Germany

though it's still unclear who actually makes the film
Maco does not make film, though they do have facilities to "confection" film sheet stock to their branding that they acquire from established manufacturers. A good example would be Rollei Retro 80s which is made from Agfa Aviphoto Pan 80 stock.

Steve
11-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That's curious and is exactly the opposite of what an acquaintance at a film reseller indicated.
Not surprising. There is a lot of misinformation in regards to the Rollei-branded film products* and also in regards to films currently sold with Agfa Photo branding (example current product APX 100).

Steve

* The Rollei brand is incredibly "diluted" and has been for many years. In my storage closet is a very nice 6x7 enlarger bearing the traditional Rollei logo. It was made in Japan by LPL. The enlarger's importer also had rights to the Rollei name in the U.S. and opted to brand the enlarger as such.

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-30-2015 at 05:02 PM.
11-30-2015, 08:14 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not surprising. There is a lot of misinformation in regards to the Rollei-branded film products* and also in regards to films currently sold with Agfa Photo branding (example current product APX 100).
Well, that settles it. I had decided not to buy any more film until my stockpile of spooled film and 100-foot segments is gone, but I'm picking up some Rollei tonight to see where it's being made.
12-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I think MACO took over the old Gevaert factory in Belgium
12-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Received my RPX this weekend. I picked up 400 and 100 in both 35mm and 120 and 25 in 35mm, 120, and 4x5. All say made in the EU and list Maco's name next to the manufacturing location.
12-07-2015, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'd love if we could get some more RPX 25 shots posted here!