Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2015, 01:49 AM   #1

for the people that shoot film...

... do you ever get annoyed not being able to see how the shot looked before developing? As someone who hasn't used a film camera in twenty years I would think it would drive me nuts.

11-22-2015, 02:04 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
No...would've used a digital camera if I want a shooting trip to be viewed as I go. When I shoot film I would've already accepted the fact that I would not be able to view it until post dev.
11-22-2015, 02:08 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baldrob Quote
... do you ever get annoyed not being able to see how the shot looked before developing? As someone who hasn't used a film camera in twenty years I would think it would drive me nuts.

nop, that is precisely one of the advantages - this so called 'delayed gratification' offers just that - the pleasure coming from seeing the end result after some time. Besides not having to see a shot just after it was taken frees the mind and allows one to focus on the process of taking photographs rather than studying the shot how it came. It also teaches you to be much more disciplined , have the ability to promote certain qualities in ones personality. Not to mention the fact that while you reviewing your shot on your digital camera, you ARE missing on some opportunities or rare moments that would result in another, perhaps unique shot.

These are just few factors worth consideration but there is much more to it and film for sure will continue to live on supported by many people who see the advantages of this analogue medium. Finally the fact of not having this 100% certainty that shot came out well forces you to perfect your skill and to know your gear and all techniques needed. if you watch some interviews with famous film photographers you will see that many emphasize this ability to be sure that shot was good. They often just say 'I am sure I got that shot' - when they are being asked why or how they could possible know for sure - the answer is usually the same : "I just know I got that shot"

so try to learn some of these principles and appreciate the skill that goes into being sure that shot is there without actually looking at it. It pays off and helps even with digital Just makes you overall a better and more confident photographer.

Last edited by manntax; 11-22-2015 at 10:20 AM.
11-22-2015, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by baldrob Quote
No, when I went back to film I quickly learned to let it go. Sometimes I take a photo on film and think that it has the potential to be really nice, then I get the great feeling of looking forward to getting the film finished, developed and scanned. It's sort-of like the anticipation you get as a kid when christmas is coming up, and I enjoy it.

11-22-2015, 03:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My signature says it all...

Chris
11-22-2015, 04:40 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Agreed-not a problem. But then I shoot digital as if it was film, and ignore the LCD anyway.
11-22-2015, 04:45 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I have been shooting film (mostly medium format) alongside Pentax DSLRs for about four years now. The first year of my film shooting I did not even have a scanner, so I only had my films developed without really being able to study the results. I was in the dark, so to speak, about my film shooting. I eventually purchased an Epson V750 for medium format and a Minolta 35mm scanner, and thus was able to scan, print or study the film scans on my monitor. My film shooting has developed to a level where I in many cases know when I have been able to capture a good image. So it does not matter that I have to wait for the film to be developed, because I know that some of the film shots will be okay.

When I shoot with my Pentax K-5 I use the lcd to check the histogram, which is convenient. I never study the image as such on the camera lcd.

11-22-2015, 05:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Agreed-not a problem. But then I shoot digital as if it was film, and ignore the LCD anyway.

Same here, I rarely check my images until I get home
11-22-2015, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

When shooting film, the feeling of being a fantastic photographer lasts the days/weeks/months until I get the prints from the developer. With digital, that feeling is over in an instant.

So, no, I don't miss the opportunity to review my photos when shooting film.
11-22-2015, 06:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If you've not shot film before, the first few rolls can be hit or miss, but it soon improves once you get used to how the lens/camera combo works. Getting the film scans back from the developer is half the fun (and developing your own even more so)
11-22-2015, 06:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Nope, but I started out as a potter.
11-22-2015, 07:22 AM   #12

When I get my film and scans from the lab, it's almost like being a kid at Christmas. When I look at the LCD immediately after a shot, I don't get that.

Slightly OT, but there's also the tactile satisfaction: loading and winding the film, using those wonderfully-crafted old cameras, etc.
11-22-2015, 07:26 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I know I only have one chance to get it right and failure is unacceptable (e.g. work, visiting people I know I may never see again), I use digital and review the shot in case it failed and I have to retake. When it isn't critical, I use film.
11-22-2015, 07:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm embarrassed to say I had a Pentax ESII shooting some stuff a fortnight ago and, after reminding myself to wind on, the first thing I did after taking a shot was check the (non existent) LCD back panel.
11-22-2015, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will very occasionally do that on the first shot if I've been using my K-5 a lot in between (particularly at work; I need to check all the shots as I take them because I don't get another crack at it). My kids, on the other hand, are constantly running over to see the shot I just took, particularly when it's of them. Yesterday, Miss Four wanted me to take a picture of her "with a real camera" for this very reason!