Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Not sure exactly, but I read several accounts that the Pakon software didn't run at all or run properly.
I'm glad it works for you, but I don't want to pay to upgrade my OS then find it doesn't work for me.
I've also read there's a workaround to install VM and XP mode without upgrading. I may try that first.

Chris
Hmmm... well, "didn't run at all or run properly" is a pretty common bump along the Pakon road. It often takes some fiddling. But in terms of the WinXP environment, it really depends what your native OS is. XP Mode is available for free as an MS VPC for Windows 7. Under 8/8.1 or 10 other 3rd party VM solutions are the only option as they've (Microsoft) disabled XP mode as a VPC in those. Figures.

12-06-2015, 02:35 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by j0n4hpk Quote
Thanks for cnet link, Suleeto. I have used a Visioneer scanner in the past and scanned slides and negatives one-by-one as TIFF files. The problem with it was that it had no driver for Windows Vista (yes, I guess what you're going to say, but blame it on the new economy). If anyone is buying the new scanners, recheck if they are compatible with their Windows version (including Windows 10).
QuoteOriginally posted by j0n4hpk Quote
Visioneer scanner
Did you have a look at Hamrick's Software VueScan. It supports a lot of scanners, also Visioneer models: Visioneer Drivers | VueScan.

Scan quality is pretty good in my opinion and the Pro Edition license offers unlimited free upgrades. At the moment you get a discount of 10,- $. I use it for years now with my Epson Perfection 1650 Photo and Reflecta ProScan 7200 (in the us PrimeFilm 7250u). I'm very happy with it.
12-06-2015, 04:25 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Did you have a look at Hamrick's Software VueScan. It supports a lot of scanners, also Visioneer models: Visioneer Drivers | VueScan.

Scan quality is pretty good in my opinion and the Pro Edition license offers unlimited free upgrades. At the moment you get a discount of 10,- $. I use it for years now with my Epson Perfection 1650 Photo and Reflecta ProScan 7200 (in the us PrimeFilm 7250u). I'm very happy with it.
I second that. VueScan is great.
12-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I second that. VueScan is great.
I really liked it the several times I've tried it out but never purchased - the batch scanning is just too fiddly and too much work for my taste if I'm trying to scan any kind of volume, e.g. a bunch of 35mm slide film. For MF work it wouldn't bother me as much, but I've just stuck with Silverfast for the most part with my Epson (as aggravating as it can be the results are great).

12-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I bought an older used PC, a little Shuttle XPC cube.
It will sit nicely out of the way on the floor beneath my desk.
I always wanted to play with one of these anyway...

Chris