Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2015, 03:22 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
This is one of the few sources of info on Ricoh cameras.

The Unofficial Guide to Ricoh SLR Cameras and Rikenon Lenses

The P function was introduced with the XR-P in 1984. The cameras listed with Pentax K/R mount support P.

Camera-wiki.org has some info too.

Ricoh - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia
tyvm

11-26-2015, 06:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Ricoh XRX (M) is probably the best they made, not only was it well made it had a stack of features , many of which were only available on top end cameras

Program, aperture-priority, shutter-bias, and full metered manual exposure.
Three programs: normal, action, and depth.
Three metering modes: average, spot, and auto-backlight compensation.
Full metal body inside, surrounded by plastic on the surface.
Full information display in the viewfinder, backlit in low light.
Customizable 'reset' button: you tell the camera what to reset to.
AE lock, depth of field preview, double exposure.
Shutter speed range from 1/2000 sec to 30 sec, with some trickery up to one hour(!).
Self-timer delay settable from zero to one hour in increasing increments.
Intervalometer.
Exposure compensation up to +/- 4 stops in 0.3 stop intervals.
Special exposure modes for taking pictures of TV and CRT screens.
2.5 fps built-in motor drive.
Accepts standard Pentax K mount lenses.
Uses standard AA size batteries.

My copy rarely gets used these days but for anybody who wants to do film without going back to non automation it's ideal
11-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #18
Site Supporter

I was tempted to post a pic of the back of my K-3, with the prominent "RICOH" below the LCD screen (and I think it's interesting that the K-3 II does not show that), as my "RICOH K-mount", but (quite surprisingly) my (usually minimal) good taste got the better of me...

However, to try to contribute something more useful to this thread, I'll point out that there is a nice looking Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus on sale on eB right now. While it is listed as a "Pentax PK fit, Vivitar 28mm f/2 Close-Focus Fast Lens" (and it ~is~ a PK fit, if not a PKa fit), it's actually a nice looking specimen of the K-mount Ricoh Program version of a very good (and uncommon) wide-angle lens design, so someone with a Ricoh Program body might be interested in it. [I have no connection to the seller.] The URL = Pentax PK Fit Vivitar 28mm F 2 Close Focus Fast Lens Caps RARE 'Mint' Cond | eBay

Last edited by fwcetus; 11-26-2015 at 08:26 AM.
11-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I have an XR-1, which I have briefly reviewed in the non-Pentax cameras subforum. It was part of a mixed bag of lenses, filters, etc. that I bought a short while back. It came with Rikenon XR 28/2.8 and 50/1.7 lenses plus a couple of third-party M42s. The focus on the 50/1.7 feels somewhat loose but the 28 is so silky-smooth it isn't funny. I've only had one roll of film through it so far, and most of that I was stupid enough to take under fluoro light with daylight film and no filter (realised my mistake as soon as I looked at the prints), but the ones that were shot in daylight are pretty good. Metering looks "on" (match needle with a prominent "what you have selected" bar that's easy to tell from the "what you should select" one) and I'm pretty sure it would work under Sunny 16 with no batteries, but I haven't tried that yet. It's got a diagonal split prism viewfinder, depth of field preview, ISO from 12 to 3200 (with the selector marked in both ASA and DIN), and even a multi-exposure button which I might try one day. And a leather strap to boot. If you don't mind something that's Spotmatic sized as opposed to MX-sized, it's the perfect manual film camera.

11-26-2015, 08:33 PM   #20

I have a KR-5 Super II, a XR-10, a Sears KS Auto, a KR-10M, and just recently found a XR-P. The 50mm f2 Rikenon lens I have is fantastically sharp.
11-30-2015, 06:04 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ricoh camera models. which series is equivalent to Pentax 'A' cameras?
Ricoh XR-P is the model you want to get.

Steve
11-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ricoh XR-P is the model you want to get.

Steve
Thanks Steve! Top of the list for after XMAS (now on self-gift hiatus).

12-24-2015, 07:19 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Just noticed there is no third party Pentax body review section like there is for lenses. I think there should be one especially for the Ricohs.
12-25-2015, 03:28 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Just noticed there is no third party Pentax body review section like there is for lenses. I think there should be one especially for the Ricohs.
And for the Chinons.
01-27-2016, 09:27 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Ricoh KR-10 Super, but it is branded as a Sears KSX Super. My first K-mount body was a Sears KS1000; I still have it but the meter has gone out on it. The Super came with the 50mm, f/1.7 lens. My first screwmount body was a Ricoh TLS Singlex, not Sears branded, but likely sold there!
01-28-2016, 06:38 PM   #26
Forum Member

I have 8 Ricoh bodies: XR-P with winder and grip, KR-30 with power grip, XR-10, KR-5 Super and A-100 for the Sears clones I have a KSX (same as A-100/KR-10) KS Super (XR-6) and KS-2 (XR-7).

My very first SLR was a KS Super purchased at Sears on clearance down the road from Michigan State my freshman year, It was like $65.00 in 1985. The KR-30SP was my Graduation present to myself three years latter. The XR-P was my dream camera, that I couldn't quite afford on a collage student budget. Well 25 years latter I finally got it on Ebay at Christmas time. I just got the KS-2 in the mail yesterday from Shopgoodwill.com and its in almost perfect condition for less than $20 with shipping. I would say its the feature equivalent of my ME Super. The XR-P is the contemporary of the Super Program, the KR30 the Program Plus.

I would say that the Pentaxs are more refined while the Ricohs seem more rugged. Right now I am rotating the XR-P and the Super Program as my main color Film bodies.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by kneemeister; 01-28-2016 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Added comment
01-28-2016, 09:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice collection, Knee.
Is the Ricoh KR-5 Super2 the latest, lightest, smallest, and best fully manual K-mount slr?
I think so.

I am heading out to Australia and Taiwan for 3 weeks .
Last 3 trips I was lucky to be able to carry on a medium format camera and check the clothes etc as baggage.
This trip I have tight connections in Narita and Hong Kong, so it will be carry on only with clothes for 4 days, summer in Australia and winter in Taipei.

So,
Ricoh KR-5 Super2
SMC Pentax -M 1:2.8 40 mm
Vivitar 28mm 1:2.0 MC Close Focus Wide Angle
Pentax AF160 Flash
Kodak C41 iso 400 24 exp-loose
Fuji C41 iso 200 24 exp- loaded.

Camera batteries and flash batteries are all tested and 1,6 V +
The vintage AF160 flash tests in A mode 4 metre with excellent histogram on the Pentax K-01

It all fits in the small "Pentax" soft holster (with the lenses capped).
Less than 1.2 kg total.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
01-29-2016, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

This is my Ricoh XR-1s, which I bought in 1979 shortly after I started my first full time photographic job with a small newspaper publisher. The company's gear was junk. I had ambitions, so I decided to use my own gear. (I went on to work elsewhere for many years as a salaried pro using Nikon gear, staying with K-mount for my personal work.) I chose the Ricoh because it had a relatively fast power winder, its Copal Square shutter was good in cold weather, and it was affordable. Used it quite heavily for about 15 years. Between extreme cold and plastic-eating insect repellents a few plastic bits fell off, including the self timer lever. I think the rewind knob is from an ME. The lens came with an MX I bought a few years later.

The camera has never needed repairs, other than one DIY cleaning of meter switch contacts and light seal replacement. It still works fine. I use it once in a while.

Last edited by John Poirier; 02-09-2016 at 05:23 AM.
01-29-2016, 05:50 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Is the Ricoh KR-5 Super2 the latest, lightest, smallest, and best fully manual K-mount slr?
By "fully manual" do you merely mean "full manual control only of shutter and aperture", or do you also mean "and will still fire at all speeds if the batteries and/or metering go to hell"?

How does it compare in size and weight to an MX?

Please don't think I'm trying to get into a p***ing contest here; if it compares well, I might consider one as a possible alternative/backup. One thing's for sure, though - any K-mount camera that small needs the 40mm M Pancake.

I'm also travelling soon, and considering taking my MX and the 40 plus a very light 28mm Vivitar I have (not the one you've got), but I found myself wondering if there's enough "gap" between them - the alternative to the 28 is the substantially larger and heavier 17mm/f3.5 RMC Tokina or an even larger (but somewhat lighter than the RMC) Vivitar 19-35mm zoom.
01-29-2016, 06:27 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
By "fully manual" do you merely mean "full manual control only of shutter and aperture", or do you also mean "and will still fire at all speeds if the batteries and/or metering go to hell"?

How does it compare in size and weight to an MX?
According to the manuals:
KR-5 Super II 133mm x 85mm x 50mm, 410 grams, VF magnification 0.86X
Pentax MX 135.5mm x 82.5mm x 49.5mm, 495 grams, VF magnification 0.97X

Physical sizes and weight seem insignificant but viewfinder magnification difference is huge.