Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2015, 04:27 AM   #1
Forum Member
vrolok's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Caesaraugusta
Posts: 89
Beattie Intenscreen and AF for (P)Z-1(p)

I wonder whether I can improve the viewfinder experience in my Pentax (P)Z-1p by installing an "Intenscreen" focussing screen w/ split-image focus aid. I have found an unsold Intenscreen in a shop nearby, and actual price is very, very tempting (just a tad fraction of what it used to be). I have no experience with these products, so I'd appreciate your help.

The screen I look I for is one w/ split image, see:
Pentax 35mm Beattie Intenscreens
Designed for Z-1.

I assume that the screens in Z-1 and Z-1p are interchangeable, same size. Perhaps, a tad brighter in the Z-1p for what I read. I guess then that the one from Beattie will be ok in my Z-1p though it will yield a wee less gain of brightness.

How about the split-image? Will it interfere with the autofocus?

Cheers

11-28-2015, 04:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near Vienna, Austria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 759
QuoteOriginally posted by vrolok Quote
How about the split-image? Will it interfere with the autofocus?
No. The autofocus is totally independent of the finder image. However, it will probably interfere with spot metering.
11-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Slovenia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,180
QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
No. The autofocus is totally independent of the finder image. However, it will probably interfere with spot metering.
Fixed
11-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #4
Forum Member
vrolok's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Caesaraugusta
Posts: 89
Original Poster
Ok thanks. Will give it a try and report back...

11-28-2015, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member
manntax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,972
QuoteOriginally posted by vrolok Quote
Ok thanks. Will give it a try and report back...
I wouldn't do it if I were you - You can buy a MZ-M for just few dollars and the screen from there will be a perfect fit for your Z1p. I know because I am using one. Shimming was not even required .

AF is matching the MF perfectly since then and I know that from extensive testing. If exposure differs I am yet to notice than in real life photos.

I hope I was quick enough to save you this high $$ spent on just a focusing screen
11-29-2015, 08:11 AM   #6
Forum Member
vrolok's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Caesaraugusta
Posts: 89
Original Poster
Thank you manntax! Havent bought it yet. However, I am not sure that getting a MZ-M will be any cheaper. I can buy the Intenscreen for ca. 30 $, comes with tweezers too (dont have them). On the other hand, cant find a (cheaper) MZ-M in ebay, here in Europe, right now. Anyhow, will see.

Yesterday I shot a roll with my Z1p, using mainly the K50mm F1.2, most shots a 1.2 ! Developed and digitalized the roll today and, yeah, I better do something with the screen...

Cheers
11-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member
manntax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,972
QuoteOriginally posted by vrolok Quote
Thank you manntax! Havent bought it yet. However, I am not sure that getting a MZ-M will be any cheaper. I can buy the Intenscreen for ca. 30 $, comes with tweezers too (dont have them). On the other hand, cant find a (cheaper) MZ-M in ebay, here in Europe, right now. Anyhow, will see.
Hmm strange for me the prices on link provided are just outrageous in range of hundreds ! Anyway Either case for $30 you wont find MZM cheaper I guess so go for it and report back how these screens are


QuoteOriginally posted by vrolok Quote
Yesterday I shot a roll with my Z1p, using mainly the K50mm F1.2, most shots a 1.2 ! Developed and digitalized the roll today
samples..samples please !! this just cries for samples ;P

let's see Z1p in action
11-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #8
Forum Member
vrolok's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Caesaraugusta
Posts: 89
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Hmm strange for me the prices on link provided are just outrageous in range of hundreds ! Anyway Either case for $30 you wont find MZM cheaper I guess so go for it and report back how these screens are

samples..samples please !! this just cries for samples ;P

let's see Z1p in action
Yeah, that prices are twice as much as the cost of a used Z-1p !!!
I have two Z-1p cameras. I will experiment with one and will get the Intenscreen.

Yesterday night, rock concert in quite a dark environment. Was using Ilford PAN400 pushed at 1600. Not that many keepers but here's one I just posted in my flickr:



Cheers

---------- Post added 11-29-15 at 05:07 PM ----------

Another one:



Cheers

11-29-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
A Proud PENTAXER !!!
fwcetus's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New England
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,212
QuoteOriginally posted by vrolok Quote
Yesterday night, rock concert in quite a dark environment. Was using Ilford PAN400 pushed at 1600. Not that many keepers but here's one I just posted in my flickr: [...] Another one:
Two really nice pix -- and I am "re-reminded" once again that you don't have to gets lotsa keepers to make a shooting effort entirely worthwhile.
11-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member
manntax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,972
Amazing shots, especially like the first one- so well executed !! Please let us know how is that new screen - really curious if the difference is worth the price..
11-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #11
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,450
QuoteOriginally posted by vrolok Quote
The screen I look I for is one w/ split image, see:
Pentax 35mm Beattie Intenscreens
Designed for Z-1.
I was a bit disturbed to find the link above is now 404 and that the Beattie home page has a message that they are no longer in business.

RIP, Beattie ???


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-30-2015 at 05:25 PM.
11-30-2015, 09:55 PM   #12
A Proud PENTAXER !!!
fwcetus's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New England
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,212
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was a bit disturbed to find the link above is now 404 and that the Beattie home page has a message that they are no longer in business.
RIP, Beattie ???
Steve
So it seems -- I recently (maybe just 4 or 5 days ago) posted a working URL to a Beattie Intenscreen page ( Beattie Intenscreen Information ) in another thread, and today the page redirects to an error page ( Camerascreens Page Not Found ) with the message, "Sorry that Page no Longer Exists - Unfortunately, we have to report that the manufacturers of the Intenscreen have decided to discontinue manufacturing this product. - We would like to thank all of the customers that supported Camerascreens over the years.".

Hmmm... First Katzeye and now Intenscreen...
12-01-2015, 01:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member
manntax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,972
wouldn't be worried too much... the economy and markets doesn't like vacuum - one man's misfortune is another man's opportunity ( not that I like these realities, but here we are)
12-01-2015, 05:50 AM   #14
A Proud PENTAXER !!!
fwcetus's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New England
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,212
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
wouldn't be worried too much... the economy and markets doesn't like vacuum - one man's misfortune is another man's opportunity
True, but Katzeye must've been around for a decade or so, and Intenscreen for a couple of decades or more, and currently the vacuum will likely be filled with more "eBay specials" (which likely helped close down the name brands in the first place)...
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
(not that I like these realities, but here we are)
Indeed.
12-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #15
Forum Member
vrolok's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Caesaraugusta
Posts: 89
Original Poster
I will get tomorrow my Intenscreen. Looking forward to play with it.

---------- Post added 12-01-15 at 08:13 PM ----------

So looks like the one I get is one of the very last ones!
Cheers
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
beattie, cheers, ev, experience, flickr, marco, pentax, prices, screen, split-image, tad, tests, z-1, z-1p
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: REDUCED - 1/3-price Beattie Intenscreen with DIAGONAL Split Image for the LX fwcetus Sold Items 2 12-03-2015 05:40 PM
For Sale - Sold: Ricoh XR-P with Release Grip and Rikenon P 50 f/1.7 Lens Fat Albert Sold Items 15 09-18-2015 10:31 AM
Wireless synchronizing Metz 58AF-1 and P AF-540 fgz Bulldogface Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 39 12-18-2014 03:39 PM
For Sale - Sold: Tamron Adaptall: Adapters P/KA and P/KM, 1.4x TC 140F and 80-210mm 103A lens emilf Sold Items 14 07-07-2009 09:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:38 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top