Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2015, 12:01 AM   #16
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Speaking from previous experiences with testing lenses on this camera, I found that even when the viewfinder showed no vignetting, it could appear quite prominently in the negatives. That's why I tried the zoom, because I wanted to see how far beyond 43mm you had to go to see the in the viewfinder, and the answer was not much.

But having said that, I've just realised I'm talking about a different hood, the MH-RC49, which costs a small fortune to buy seperately. The replacement hood referred to above might be worth a try.

11-29-2015, 12:19 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I just put FA43 + LN-RC49 on my ZX-5 again (which is almost at the end of the roll I've been shooting since I got this hood earlier this year and have some actual shots with this combo on the roll...) and put it up to a white monitor screen and see no vignetting through the viewfinder... I haven't seen it in the past either the couple times I've had it on the ZX-5 outdoors in daylight... But I am not disputing what JPT is saying that there may be some on the film.sensor..
Could just be at larger apertures... Curious to find out.
11-29-2015, 12:25 AM   #18
Pentaxian

FWIW, a viewfinder won't really show vignetting.
Years ago I tried using my M100/2.8 hood on my M28/2.8. It works perfectly on APSC digital, so I figured why not try on 135 format film. When that hood was on the 28/2.8 and mounted to my Pentax (huge and bright VF), I couldn't see any vignetting whatsoever, but my images ended up like this,

11-29-2015, 07:27 AM   #19
Forum Member

Why don't you get a DA 40 Limited. It is said to cover the FF. The MZ-3 can drive it. And it may fit your pocket.

11-29-2015, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The FA 43mm is quick to flare and stray light can easily rob images of contrast. I always find the OEM hood to be rather small and lacking. A deeper hood would work better but doesn't look as slick. Then again, who cares what the hood looks like if you are more interested in what the final image looks like? You can use surprisingly deep hoods on APS due to the crop factor. Be sure to verify there is no vignetting by looking at the Live View screen or a sample image.

If you don't want to use a deeper, larger hood then consider using empty filter rings to simply push the current hood out just a little bit more. UV filters can be had for cheap and you can simply knock the glass out if that doesn't bother you.
11-29-2015, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter

This may do the trick, it's the screw-in rubber 49mm OEM hood for the M40/2.8. It collapses to about 10mm and will not cause vignetting on the FA43 shooting film.

Phil.
Attached Images

11-29-2015, 01:19 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UlrichSchiegg Quote
Why don't you get a DA 40 Limited. It is said to cover the FF. The MZ-3 can drive it. And it may fit your pocket.
Well, because I have the 43 and adore it. But more to the point - the DA 40 does not have aperture ring, so it's out.

---------- Post added 11-29-15 at 12:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
This may do the trick, it's the screw-in rubber 49mm OEM hood for the M40/2.8. It collapses to about 10mm and will not cause vignetting on the FA43 shooting film.

Phil.
Very cool. I think that could be the ticket. Thanks Phil (The trick here would be finding one that doesn't include an M40/2.8 haha)

---------- Post added 11-29-15 at 01:03 PM ----------

There seems to be a plethora of rather cheap 49mm wide-standard collapsible hoods available on the Bay. Think I'll give one a try.

---------- Post added 11-29-15 at 01:12 PM ----------

Hmmmm.... actually I found an $8 knock-off DA40 style hood and went with that. I'll throw a roll through and report back in a couple weeks or so.

Last edited by chickentender; 11-29-2015 at 01:25 PM.
11-29-2015, 03:25 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Hmmmm.... actually I found an $8 knock-off DA40 style hood and went with that. I'll throw a roll through and report back in a couple weeks or so.
Do tell...where? I'd love to get one!

11-29-2015, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Could just be at larger apertures... Curious to find out.
Yes.. Incentive to spend the final shots on the roll with this combo wide open...

Oh now I read this.. We'll see who wins the race.
11-29-2015, 04:02 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Do tell...where? I'd love to get one!
Seller's name on the bay is arphotovideo

---------- Post added 11-29-15 at 03:02 PM ----------

Yes.. Incentive to spend the final shots on the roll with this combo wide open...
Oh now I read this.. We'll see who wins the race.
Heheheh - thanks man. You've got a significant headstart with both the hood and roll loaded.
12-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My DA40-style hood arrived. Fits great. Roll loaded in the MX - I've got a few cameras loaded at the moment so will likely take a bit but we'll see. (Now, if only I'd remembered the 30mm pinch cap) :-/
04-12-2016, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My DA40-style hood arrived. Fits great. Roll loaded in the MX - I've got a few cameras loaded at the moment so will likely take a bit but we'll see. (Now, if only I'd remembered the 30mm pinch cap) :-/
I forgot to update my findings here, namely whether the DA40 style hood had any adverse effects used the FA43 on 35mm film.
Nope. None whatsoever (at none that I've noticed as of yet - 2 rolls in) ... So that in fact I completely forgot to update this thread.
At any rate, for any interested, that style hood certainly takes away a bit of bulk from OEM hood on the lovely compact 43mm.

This was shot with with the FA43 and MZ-S on SvemaColor125....

On the MZ-3 it is a very diminutive and lovely combo. Show with MX and A50/1.4 for scale.

Last edited by chickentender; 04-12-2016 at 11:46 AM.
04-12-2016, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

I forgot to update my findings here
Nice work detective! I on the other hand should be terminated... Well at least finished the roll but didn't get it developed yet... My only detective work now will be figuring out which shots were taken with FA43 when I finally do get it developed..
04-12-2016, 02:07 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice work detective! I on the other hand should be terminated... Well at least finished the roll but didn't get it developed yet... My only detective work now will be figuring out which shots were taken with FA43 when I finally do get it developed..
It's true, you've had *ample* time and a headstart to boot! You're fired!
Nah, dev that stuff and get'm up.
04-13-2016, 01:56 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Lots of my frames are shot with single coated lenses (some with cleaning marks,) single coated filters, and lens hoods.

Cause flare into shadows and highlight artifice gives my mono prints a period look, and can preflash the AgX crystals.

It will/would also pastel shadows and mid tones in colour.

Filters and hoods protect during drop tests and sea gull PGM.

PGM - precision guided munition

Last edited by Xmas; 04-13-2016 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Obdurate iPhone