Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2016, 07:04 PM - 2 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

good idea. at least one of those old blokes is likely incontinent by now...

...and my money is on the guy on the right.

04-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote

I miss hair gel!

Phil.
04-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote

Pwahahahhahah. He seems to have been a bit too relaxed right up until the moment of the photo.
04-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Nice. Diatribe is not a word I ive heard in a long time. Insert obi-wan knobi voice.

04-13-2016, 09:56 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I use my LTM FA43mm f/1.9 Special on my Leica cameras, and the issue with some lens hoods on RF cameras is that they can block the viewfinder, and in some cases the RF patch itself can be obscured by the lens hood*.
1. There's a Leica-mount FA lens?

2. Blocking the VF is why Fuji used square lens hoods for the lenses that were launched with the X-Pro1. They're excellent hoods, and I hope more manufacturers get onto the square hood train. Very effective, very practical, and much cooler looking (FWIW and IMO) than the dorky petal hoods.
04-13-2016, 11:16 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
There's a Leica-mount FA lens
Leica thread mount version of the FA43mm f/1.9.

Blocking the VF is why Fuji used square lens hoods for the lenses that were launched with the X-Pro1
A lot of Leica lens hoods are square, but that is part of the problem. Voigtlander also make petal hoods for some of their lenses, hardly dorky.
04-14-2016, 01:54 AM   #52
Veteran Member

A lot of Leica lens hoods are square, but that is part of the problem. Voigtlander also make petal hoods for some of their lenses, hardly dorky.
A lot of Leica hoods are rectangular.
Petals are functional...
Hoods are functional though most DSLR owners seem to think that fash is to leave them inverted on the zoom...

---------- Post added 04-14-16 at 10:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Lots actually, but I don't spend much time pointing my lens straight up at a flock of them
Their PGMs have a wide effective range for coating damage on normal UV filters not tried an unfiltered lens yet.
Hoping some one else chips in with experience...

04-14-2016, 03:23 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Another consideration for the OP: pancake lenses like the 43mm, have very little recession with the front element unlike something like the Pentax SMC FA 50mm f/1.7 or most macro primes. This contributes to more flare and stray light reducing contrast when a hood is not used relative to longer lens designs with recessed front elements.

Maybe the trick in finding a compromise to making your 43mm more compact with a hood is finding a collapsible rubber hood.

General Brand 49mm Collapsible Rubber Lens Hood NP11049 B&H
04-14-2016, 06:54 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Of course using the hood is "best practise." But on a trip to NYC, I wanted to keep my MZ-S / FA 43mm combo as "pocketable" as possible. I used a pinch-on 43mm cap, with no hood. The SMC coatings are really good -- I trusted them and was not disappointed.

Here is an album of those shots, almost entirely made with that combo, no hood used. In only one example, shooting directly into the sun at Times Square, is there flare. But the angle of the sun probably would have yielded flare with the hood too.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/davidwscott/351hY0

By the way, the panorama shots were also made with the FA 43, stitching multiple frames of film together.

In other testing, I found even very expensive UV filters were robbing me of contrast and detail. As soon as I saw the proof, I quit using them.
04-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Maybe the trick in finding a compromise to making your 43mm more compact with a hood is finding a collapsible rubber hood.

General Brand 49mm Collapsible Rubber Lens Hood NP11049 B&H
Yes, that's what was covered previously. Many options available on a 49mm thread.

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Here is an album of those shots, almost entirely made with that combo, no hood used. In only one example, shooting directly into the sun at Times Square, is there flare. But the angle of the sun probably would have yielded flare with the hood too.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/davidwscott/351hY0
Thanks for the examples. I'd very much recommend the cheap DA-style hood. Adds very little bulk but provides protection and more coverage than it looks to, keeping it "more pocketable" which was precisely my intent here. The knock-off versions can be found for $10 USD or less.

---------- Post added 04-14-16 at 09:51 AM ----------

As mentioned a couple months ago, the seller I bought from (for a grand total of $9 shipped) is named "arphotovideo". This is the direct link to the current auction:
Replacement Lens Hood LH RC49 for for Pentax Da 40mm F 2 8 Black MH RC 49mm New | eBay

It took some time to arrive to me - I'm assuming he has a small inventory and a Chinese source which someone could likely track down if they were inclined to - I wasn't at only $9.

---------- Post added 04-14-16 at 09:57 AM ----------

I've been tempted by that beautiful thing a number of times... no thanks to you for renewing that temptation.

---------- Post added 04-14-16 at 10:06 AM ----------

1. There's a Leica-mount FA lens?
They aren't available often, and they're more expensive.... But.... they're a 43ltd on LTM.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/l-special/pool/