Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have too many cameras

All but two now are film... It's out of control. Is there a support group that promotes recovery? (as opposed this group which merely aids the addiction process...)

Last edited by Eyewanders; 12-05-2015 at 12:21 PM.
12-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

How many is too many? I have managed to end up with two Spotmatics (a Honeywell and an Asahi), a P3, a P30T, an ME and an MX, and a Ricoh XR1 in addition to my K5. All since May this year (except for the digital) and all have had at least one roll of film through them.
12-05-2015, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

So. It just means that you need more lenses to regain balance.
12-05-2015, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Is there such a thing as "too many cameras"? How much is "too many"? I may be in trouble here. lol

12-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm feeling that as well, though to many my affliction is minor. Three SLRs (ME special-ed and two Ricohs) and an old Kodak folding camera make up my lowly film collection. Add to that two Qs, a K-50 and (incoming!) Lumix G7, plus a camcorder and a few cellphones that really don't count. And let's not start on bags, especially since I inherited my dad's (along with maybe six other digital cams & a few camcorders). I need more shutter fingers, or remotes!
12-05-2015, 01:18 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do you know how many cameras you have?

If yes, then you don't have too many.
12-05-2015, 01:38 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You have too many cameras if:
a) You have at least one that is never used but is in perfect working condition.
b) You can't name them all off the top of your head.
c) You can't afford the batteries or the cost of electricity to recharge them all.
d) There is no place to put them and they're on your bed now.
e) You are not a collector.

You don't have too many cameras if:
a) You are a collector.
b) They all are used at least once a year.
c) Each camera has a distinct quality that enables you to get a certain kind of image.
d) You have at least one friend or associate that has more cameras than you.
e) You are a hoarder.
f) You fix and repair cameras for which parts are no longer available.
g) You have a multiple personality-identity disorder and you have one camera for each of your identities.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of conditions. Feel free to add.

12-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Do double or triple copies count as "too many" ...?!

If so, then I have a problem with the following Pentax SRL's : LX, MX, ME-F, ME-Super, KX, KM, Spot F and Spot 500 ... don't ask about the "singles".
12-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

1c) This doesn't help the person whose cameras are all from the pre-Spotmatic era (no batteries!).
1e/2a/2e) There is a fine (and subjective) line between collector and hoarder, and another between hoarder and unwell. By the time you get to 2g, you are definitely in need of help!

1a, 1b and 1d are close to being universal truths. 2b is close to being a defence; 2d reminds me of the old saying that an alcoholic is someone who drinks more than their doctor does.

2c is an interesting place to start a debate; I always thought it was the lens which was mostly responsible for that. I will say that with the exception of the dual spotmatics, all my other film cameras have differences in their control systems (some subtle, some significant) and ergonomics that make me prefer one or another on a different day. You could argue about differences in metering affecting the result, but for the film cameras, the recording medium is out of the equation because it isn't an integral part of the camera. I agree that sensor differences certainly would affect rendititon, which is why you won't find me criticising people who own both a CCD and a CMOS-sensor DSLR. (And then, argue the purists, you need a CMOS camera with and without an AA filter, plus a full-frame when it eventually launches, and then there are those who want IR-enabled bodies etc. etc. etc. Oh my.)
12-05-2015, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, you do not have too many cameras. You might have too many lenses, but you can never have too many cameras.

Of the things I have regretted selling, all but one is a camera.

Nope, I'm pretty sure you don't have too many cameras.

EDIT: I have 23 working.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-05-2015 at 04:30 PM.
12-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Do double or triple copies count as "too many" ...?!

If so, then I have a problem with the following Pentax SRL's : LX, MX, ME-F, ME-Super, KX, KM, Spot F and Spot 500 ... don't ask about the "singles".
I have double copies because I needed redundancy when I was shooting as a pro. With film, it was just faster to switch between 2-3 cameras when you want to use a different prime or different films. With digital, it's just easier in terms of familiarity. If shooting an event or a wedding, with the same digital sensor and processor, it's easier in PP for consistency. For video, I'd say it's almost a must when trying to cut from one to the other, unless it's radically different like a GoPro drone shot or underwater.
12-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Your second list needs to have "Because you are a pro and need an indentical or near-identical backup body" right at the top. That's very definitely a fair call. All I can say is that if I ever set out to shoot a wedding with film bodies, I have my primary and backup Spotmatics ready to go (and two flashes, oh dear, GBA).
12-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I have double copies because I needed redundancy when I was shooting as a pro. With film, it was just faster to switch between 2-3 cameras when you want to use a different prime or different films. With digital, it's just easier in terms of familiarity. If shooting an event or a wedding, with the same digital sensor and processor, it's easier in PP for consistency. For video, I'd say it's almost a must when trying to cut from one to the other, unless it's radically different like a GoPro drone shot or underwater.
Pay no attention to me ... I'm just a hoarder, collector, hoarder, collector, crazy ...
12-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
1c) This doesn't help the person whose cameras are all from the pre-Spotmatic era (no batteries!).
1e/2a/2e) There is a fine (and subjective) line between collector and hoarder, and another between hoarder and unwell. By the time you get to 2g, you are definitely in need of help!

1a, 1b and 1d are close to being universal truths. 2b is close to being a defence; 2d reminds me of the old saying that an alcoholic is someone who drinks more than their doctor does.

2c is an interesting place to start a debate; I always thought it was the lens which was mostly responsible for that. I will say that with the exception of the dual spotmatics, all my other film cameras have differences in their control systems (some subtle, some significant) and ergonomics that make me prefer one or another on a different day. You could argue about differences in metering affecting the result, but for the film cameras, the recording medium is out of the equation because it isn't an integral part of the camera. I agree that sensor differences certainly would affect rendititon, which is why you won't find me criticising people who own both a CCD and a CMOS-sensor DSLR. (And then, argue the purists, you need a CMOS camera with and without an AA filter, plus a full-frame when it eventually launches, and then there are those who want IR-enabled bodies etc. etc. etc. Oh my.)
2c: Here are some examples, even with FSLR cameras. I have a waste level finder on my Nikon F3HP. I have a motor drive on that camera that gives me nearly double the FPS of the autowinder on my N2000....not to even mention manual advance cameras. Weather sealing has often been the difference in shooting in wet caves where there is a sudden dramatic change in humidity that shuts down non-WR cameras.

Early AF on film cameras was horrible and slow. If you needed to MF, a standard MF focusing screen is much easier to use than focus assist confirmation. And in the interest of brevity, metadata. I wish I could justify owning a Nikon F6 or Pentax 645NII, just for the ability to have metadata.

I'm going to really rough it on a road trip through the desert in Mexico. I don't want to worry about my camera, batteries, theft, etc. I only take one camera; my K1000 and a 35mm or 50mm prime.

And then if you interpret too many cameras with you while shooting, then for film, you may want one with B&W, one with E6, and another with C41. Or various ISOs.

Last edited by Alex645; 12-05-2015 at 02:45 PM.
12-05-2015, 03:00 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

We're here to help. Oh, wait, there is an awesome deal on a working rangefinder on e-bay right now! Only 5 minutes remaining....