Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd love to see the proverbial "brick" wall built of Argus C3 cameras...

Chris

12-07-2015, 11:46 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Send me $50 USD and a full list of your cameras and lenses for our registry and I will send you a certificate.

Steve
1) do you know how many cameras one can get for $50?!
2) Full list? I can't even find them all. I have a suspicion there are some I have totally forgotten. I'm way past the point where I can use each once a year.
12-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nesster Quote
full list? I can't even find them all.
lmao
12-07-2015, 11:55 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
He's north of 300, some of which have produced 40" enlargements hanging in another room.
To be fair, he's using at least some of them. That's a mitigating factor. There was a news article a little while ago about a gun collector who died with a whole range of military collectors' pieces he'd bought still packed in grease, never taken out or used. Perhaps he died in the immediate aftermath of their purchase, in which case I can't criticise him, but otherwise... I think they were all destroyed, as there was nobody in his family who wanted them or could use them. What a waste.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
And she's getting craftier now because a new part of her argument for this work is that I will have more space to store my camera gear.
And there is all the justification for unbridled LBA/CBA that you need. Put that to her and see how she responds.

QuoteQuote:
I'm way past the point where I can use each once a year.
And that is when you know you have too many. At that point, it's time to build on an extra room and open it up as a museum.

12-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #50
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
To be fair, he's using at least some of them. That's a mitigating factor. There was a news article a little while ago about a gun collector who died with a whole range of military collectors' pieces he'd bought still packed in grease, never taken out or used. Perhaps he died in the immediate aftermath of their purchase, in which case I can't criticise him, but otherwise... I think they were all destroyed, as there was nobody in his family who wanted them or could use them. What a waste.
If they knew how much money was in those old milsurps they wouldn't have destroyed any of them. The ones in cosmo could have been worth more than any he cleaned up and shot.
12-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
1) do you know how many cameras one can get for $50?!
2) Full list? I can't even find them all. I have a suspicion there are some I have totally forgotten. I'm way past the point where I can use each once a year.
$50 will go a long way at my thrift store, especially if you are buying 2€ or 3€ film compacts ...

Here's one reason I have some many ... picked up all this for 10€ at my thrift store ... everything is in excellent shape and works. The lenses are 50/1.8 and 80-200/4 FD's. What's worse is that I will take these to a swap and get more/better (Pentax stuff) for my 10€ investment. It's an upside-down pyramid scheme ...

12-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Oh my God, I want your thrift store in my town. My wife probably doesn't. Not sure I really need another camera system in the house, but the brown leather case is just gorgeous.

---------- Post added 07-12-15 at 16:46 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Niner Alpha Quote
If they knew how much money was in those old milsurps they wouldn't have destroyed any of them.
I'm not sure they did. I pray they did, but I'm not sure.

12-07-2015, 01:37 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Anyone have a BookOff in your town or city? The bigger franchises have more than books, CDs, and DVDs. Recently I've been seeing lots of FSLR cameras and lenses in excellent condition for under $40.
12-07-2015, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I really need another camera system in the house, but the brown leather case is just gorgeous

I have several of those, they were designed in japan in the 1960s for photojournalists, an era long gone. My grandmother would travel to Japan and nearly always bring a new one every year, a home for yet another camera system. The original manufacturer has been lost to time, but these cases still remain, it is hard to find one that has been visibly abused as they are very well made with quality materials and they were built to last. They were strong cases too, you could literally stand on them.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-07-2015 at 06:08 PM.
12-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Here's one reason I have some many ... picked up all this for 10€ at my thrift store ...
You know, I've never been able to get what Canon's FD lens design philosophy in the X-2X0mm zoom range was supposed to be. I'd have understood having two available -- a cheaper and a more expensive version -- but by my count they had four, all largely covering the same basic focal range and available at the same time as others. [70-210/4, 80-200/4, 75-200/4.5, 100-200/5.6.]

(Plus an L-series 80-200/4. Though that made more sense to offer in addition to the rest, being an L-series.)

Last edited by g026r; 12-08-2015 at 09:01 AM.
12-08-2015, 05:24 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nd she's getting craftier now because a new part of her argument for this work is that I will have more space to store my camera gear. Evil. Just plain evil.
At least she is willing to offer you space for your gear
12-08-2015, 07:39 AM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Full list? I can't even find them all.
You have that problem too, eh?

Steve

(...I know...sick, sick, sick...)
12-08-2015, 10:58 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And she's getting craftier now because a new part of her argument for this work is that I will have more space to store my camera gear.

Evil. Just plain evil.
Sounds very suspicious!

Phil.
12-09-2015, 09:39 PM   #59

I have too many cameras

I don't know how many cameras I have. I'm pretty sure where they all are. My camera buying is in hiatus. Mainly because there are boxes I haven't even opened yet, and I am now afraid I might re-buy the same thing. It's okay to have boxes you haven't opened, but when you forget what is in them, it is time to slow my roll.

12-10-2015, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ambaker Quote
I don't know how many cameras I have. I'm pretty sure where they all are. My camera buying is in hiatus. Mainly because there are boxes I haven't even opened yet, and I am now afraid I might re-buy the same thing. It's okay to have boxes you haven't opened, but when you forget what is in them, it is time to slow my roll.
Now that, is a little over the top...