Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2015, 04:47 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Hope you decided to wait for the changing bag.
Few rooms are as dark as one might think.

Lomography notwithstanding light leaks should be avoided...

Chris

01-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Good luck! The 1.4 might be closer than you think to the f/2, since the yellowing does cause some loss of light transmission. On the bright side, you won't need to pack a yellow filter, though!
I went back and tested this out, somewhat unscientifically. I got a fluoro desk lamp, pointed it downwards, parked a pencil on white paper underneath it to give me a consistent aiming spot, and metered with the 55/2.0 SMC Tak. This got me f/2.8 at 1/1000 with the needle as close to centred as I could get it (it almost never seems to be perfectly there; as long as it's close and a shade on the high side, I'm happy). Preserving the same settings and fitting the 50mm "nuclear" Takumar, the needle rests, relatively speaking, just perceptibly towards the minus compared with its conventional 55mm relative (I accept that the slightly differing fields of view and inexact lens-to-target distances may be influencing the amount of light that's coming in). Jiggling the aperture half-stops each way suggests I am currently losing less than a half stop of light with the nuclear Takumar - certainly a half stop selected on the aperture ring seems to make significantly more difference in terms of meter response than any drop in transmissivity through the lens.

Unfortunately, playing around with macro this morning in an attempt to get my single-in shot, I fitted this lens for various reasons and noticed what appears to be a relative drop in contrast compared to the decidedly un-yellowed 35/3.5 (both Super-Taks, so almost certainly the same coating formula). I shall have to experiment further in this regard. For now, my 50mm nuclear Tak takes pride of place on my office windowsill whenever there is bright sunlight.