Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2015, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here goes nothing...

So God help me, because I'm going to need it, I have just loaded my first black and white film in twenty years. To make things even more demanding of God's help, I have chosen my Honeywell Spotmatic with the 50/1.4 Super Takumar and Tmax 100. The lens is a bit on the yellow side (thoriated element IIRC), but this is the slowest film I've ever put in an SLR and I wanted the extra stop over my 55/2.0 SMC Tak.

I have fitted a UV filter. I do not have red, yellow or blue colour filters.

Is there anything else I should be aware of, or just go out there and see what happens? I will probably send this one off for the professionals to develop, but if I'm enthused enough by the result, the next one gets done by me.

I'm not sure I could get any more old-school without taking out the batteries and going full Sunny Sixteen, but just right now I think I'll keep them in and use the meter as a crutch from time to time...

12-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Haha. I've asked for a roll if film fir Xmas so will be in a similar boat to you. I'll have to use handheld meter as no meter on my finder. And will just go out and hope for the best. Should bring back memories of old and hopefully will get back into film mode again without too much trouble. Hopefully you will do the same. Good luck.
12-09-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Have fun, and share your results here
12-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You go! I'm with you, use the meter being out of practice and don't want to waste too much of that precious film

I have 2 rolls of ilford b & w film that have been shot and some new chemicals waiting to find time to develop them. I am trying to teach my daughter some old school photography.

12-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Red and yellow filters for me are essential when it comes to B&W film if you are doing landscapes with skies. Also, don't forget your tripod :P
Be careful with the negatives,they scratch/crack real easily. Also, don't be surprised if the negatives look great, but what you see on the computer screen isn't. Scanning is a whole other world and art.
12-09-2015, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
So God help me, because I'm going to need it, I have just loaded my first black and white film in twenty years. To make things even more demanding of God's help, I have chosen my Honeywell Spotmatic with the 50/1.4 Super Takumar and Tmax 100. The lens is a bit on the yellow side (thoriated element IIRC), but this is the slowest film I've ever put in an SLR and I wanted the extra stop over my 55/2.0 SMC Tak.

Is there anything else I should be aware of, or just go out there and see what happens? I will probably send this one off for the professionals to develop, but if I'm enthused enough by the result, the next one gets done by me.

I'm not sure I could get any more old-school without taking out the batteries and going full Sunny Sixteen, but just right now I think I'll keep them in and use the meter as a crutch from time to time...
Polarizing filters work the same on b&w as colour film, so if you have one you can test it out to darken the sky.

Have fun and post you shots.

Phil.
12-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I for one do not miss film BUT! I applaud your bravery. I remember using Kodachrome 64 and 25 I got some great shots. But I am so spoiled now.
12-09-2015, 03:22 PM   #8
Marketplace Reseller

Good luck! The 1.4 might be closer than you think to the f/2, since the yellowing does cause some loss of light transmission. On the bright side, you won't need to pack a yellow filter, though!

12-09-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Welcome back, Doc.
12-09-2015, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

The yellowing of the 1.4 will be nice with B&W as it acts like a mild yellow filter. It is easy to clear the lens if you have a cheap black light fluorescent lamp. I cleared both of mine with a few hours exposure to the UV light.
12-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Good luck! The 1.4 might be closer than you think to the f/2, since the yellowing does cause some loss of light transmission. On the bright side, you won't need to pack a yellow filter, though!
That was actually what I was sort of wondering. We shall see what happens. I also have a hotshoe adapter for it now, so I can brighten things up with a touch of flash if I need to take indoor shots.

BTW can someone tell me what the PC in PC Sync cable stands for? I know what it doesn't stand for, because it was invented in the days when PC was someone in a uniform who kept the peace on the London streets, as opposed to the thing which sits on your desk and lets you communicate with other lens/camera/gear addicts.
12-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter

BTW can someone tell me what the PC in PC Sync cable stands for? I know what it doesn't stand for, because it was invented in the days when PC was someone in a uniform who kept the peace on the London streets, as opposed to the thing which sits on your desk and lets you communicate with other lens/camera/gear addicts.
Thanks for asking - I never thought of that and looked it up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prontor-Compur
12-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #13
Lens Buying Addict

Should be fun Doc. I have a small filter wallet with Y2, O2, YG and CP filters for B&W film.
12-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I would ditch the UV, Find a red filter, or an orange at the least. You may also want to extend your search to a CPL( or a linear polariser, whatever floats your boat) which have a profound effect even when used for B&W photography.

but this is the slowest film I've ever put in an SLR
T-MAX 100 is fast compared to some of the films I work with, try Tech-Pan 25 rated at ISO 12.
12-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Digitalis - I have a CPL but it's 52mm threaded. That being said, a 49-52mm step up ring is en route. I've got a handful of orange-ish filters; I think they're daylight filters for tungsten film, though, so I don't know if that's any good. In the meantime, I'll have a look through my (inherited) Cokin filter set again and see what I have there. Thanks for the hints!

Chickentender and everyone else - thanks!