Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2015, 05:37 AM   #1

Spotmatic motor drive battery pistol grip

Hello,

I am not a Pentax user, as you can tell from my "signature", but I need a little Pentax help.

Recently, I bought a mint condition Spotmatic motor drive battery pistol grip at a thrift store. I know it is a Pentax item because it is stamped "ASAHI OPT. CO." on the bottom. They had no idea what it was, of course. It does not include the motor drive. It is just the grip. I don't need it but I saved it from the trash bin. But I have a few questions.

First, what model is it? Does it have a designation? There is no serial number on it.

Second, I know that Pentax made several early motor drives -- which I know nothing about. So I need to know what motor drives this battery pistol grip will work with. It has a PC connection on it so I assume it will work with the Spotmatic F, but I have no idea about other Pentax cameras and motor drives. It has a "single/continuous" switch on the other side.

Third, it has an odd cover on the top -- that has two metal bars. It can be attached or removed. When removed the electrical contacts to the motor drive would be made, but when it is attached they are not connected. But it obviously is designed to attached to something. What would that be?

Fourth, What type of battery does it use? It does not use AA or D. The chamber is slightly wider than a D battery and about 3.5" long. I am not familiar with a battery this size. Does it take one or two batteries? Are these still available?

Any information will be appreciated. I just want to get this into the hands of someone who can use it, but I need to tell them what they are getting. I have attached four photos to help out.

Thanks,

Joe

Attached Images

12-12-2015, 07:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by xkaes Quote
Hello,

I am not a Pentax user, as you can tell from my "signature", but I need a little Pentax help.

Recently, I bought a mint condition Spotmatic motor drive battery pistol grip at a thrift store. I know it is a Pentax item because it is stamped "ASAHI OPT. CO." on the bottom. They had no idea what it was, of course. It does not include the motor drive. It is just the grip. I don't need it but I saved it from the trash bin. But I have a few questions.

First, what model is it? Does it have a designation? There is no serial number on it.

Second, I know that Pentax made several early motor drives -- which I know nothing about. So I need to know what motor drives this battery pistol grip will work with. It has a PC connection on it so I assume it will work with the Spotmatic F, but I have no idea about other Pentax cameras and motor drives. It has a "single/continuous" switch on the other side.

Third, it has an odd cover on the top -- that has two metal bars. It can be attached or removed. When removed the electrical contacts to the motor drive would be made, but when it is attached they are not connected. But it obviously is designed to attached to something. What would that be?

Fourth, What type of battery does it use? It does not use AA or D. The chamber is slightly wider than a D battery and about 3.5" long. I am not familiar with a battery this size. Does it take one or two batteries? Are these still available?
These links may help you:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/114859-penta...tor-drive.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/114884-penta...tor-drive.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/114975-penta...tor-drive.html
12-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks

That helps -- a little -- but I am still confused. While one pictured showed the battery -- which appears to be a proprietary, rechargeable model -- it did not mention any details. Plus it is probably no longer available. There might be alternative power sources, but I don't have a clue about them.

Honeywell/Pentax/Asahi made different Spotmatic models and different motor drives. I need to know what motor drive(s) my battery holder/pistol grip will work with, what model cameras that/those motor drive(s) will attach to and what the cap on the top of the grip with the two metal bars is for.

Any help is appreciated.
12-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That helps -- a little -- but I am still confused. While one pictured showed the battery -- which appears to be a proprietary, rechargeable model -- it did not mention any details. Plus it is probably no longer available. There might be alternative power sources, but I don't have a clue about them.

Honeywell/Pentax/Asahi made different Spotmatic models and different motor drives. I need to know what motor drive(s) my battery holder/pistol grip will work with, what model cameras that/those motor drive(s) will attach to and what the cap on the top of the grip with the two metal bars is for.

Any help is appreciated.
This model of battery pack will work with all Asahi Pentax Spotmatic motor drive cameras (including the ES and ESII motor drives). It will also work with the Pentax KX and KM motor drives.

It is not compatible however with the slightly more modern motor drives Motor Drive MD for the Pentax K2 DMD, Motor Drive MX for the Pentax MX and Motor Drive LX for the Pentax LX camera.

When new these battery grips used a single battery which was rechargeable with a dedicated charger. Original batteries are likely to be dead or in a poor condition now. Replacement batteries are offered for sale on the Internet. You can also get adapters for AA cells and other rechargeable battery types. I got mine from user kuotesting on eBay. You should be able to find more information on these by using Google. Also search eBay.

Regards

Chris

12-12-2015, 04:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

It appears you have already done some research on the item you own. From your photos, it appears that you only have half of the unit (the power section) and are missing the part that actually attaches to the camera.

Here is a link to a comprehensive article on the handle-type drives for Spotmatic and K-series bodies:

AOHC: Some notes on Spotmatic, ESII, KX and KM Motor Drive cameras

BTW...when/if you intend to sell this item, the marketplace on this site is a good option and the only place permissible to promote a sale under forum rules.

QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
This model of battery pack will work with all Asahi Pentax Spotmatic motor drive cameras (including the ES and ESII motor drives). It will also work with the Pentax KX and KM motor drives.
Thanks for your first person account. I posted from a stale version of the page and did not know that you had already provided a great answer.

Steve
12-13-2015, 08:17 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote

It is not compatible however with the slightly more modern motor drives Motor Drive MD for the Pentax K2 DMD, Motor Drive MX for the Pentax MX and Motor Drive LX for the Pentax LX camera.

When new these battery grips used a single battery which was rechargeable with a dedicated charger. Original batteries are likely to be dead or in a poor condition now. Replacement batteries are offered for sale on the Internet. You can also get adapters for AA cells and other rechargeable battery types. I got mine from user kuotesting on eBay. You should be able to find more information on these by using Google. Also search eBay.

Regards

Chris
Thank you very much. This was very helpful. All I need to know now is what the cap on the top with the two metal bars is for. See photos. My guess is that it designed to attach to a flash, but that is just a guess. Anyone know?
12-14-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter

All I need to know now is what the cap on the top with the two metal bars is fo
Looks like it's just a cover for the motor drive, so the winder connections do not get damaged while not in use. It won't be for anything related to a flash.

Phil.
01-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #8

It's a protective cover that you can put a strap on to carry a spare fully charged power grip. Way back in the 90's I had two Spotmatic Motor Drive kits with the 250exp backs. I never ran out of power even with the 250 Exp back so I'm not sure if a strap was really ever needed.

01-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aoresteen Quote
It's a protective cover that you can put a strap on to carry a spare fully charged power grip. Way back in the 90's I had two Spotmatic Motor Drive kits with the 250exp backs. I never ran out of power even with the 250 Exp back so I'm not sure if a strap was really ever needed.
Thanks! Never knew what it was for. Did the kit include a strap?
01-05-2016, 03:20 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Thanks! Never knew what it was for. Did the kit include a strap?
I do not know. Mine did not have a strap - I asked the same question when I sent one of my Spotmatic MD motors & grip to Pentax for service and that's what they told me.