Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2015, 11:21 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the little bit I know about Canons:

The "Flex R 2000", marketed '60 - '62 was the last SLR to have a T speed.

The "7s" and the "7sZ", manufactured until the mid '70s, marketed '65 - '80, was the last Canon RF. It had a T speed. One of my Canon "7s" cameras has a date code of '72, if memory serves me.

12-16-2015, 11:40 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The Nikon F3 needs the T mode because among all settings available on it's shutter speed dial, the ONLY mechanical setting is 'T' (Time exposure). It doesn't draw battery power from the camera and thus it is a perfect setting for extended time exposure photography.
True....unless you use the mechanical shutter release on the front of the camera to trigger a 1/90" sans battery. My Pentax 645 can also be triggered without a battery and can advance the film manually with the same make-shift trigger. It has saved me on more than one occasion when I had power issues. On the 645, however, you can't use it manually (no power) with bulb. And with my Nikon F3, you still need power to trigger T, but as stated previously, it doesn't draw power to keep the shutter curtain open. Changing the shutter speed dial off of T closes the second or rear shutter curtain.

---------- Post added 12-16-15 at 11:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Here is the little bit I know about Canons:

The "Flex R 2000", marketed '60 - '62 was the last SLR to have a T speed.

The "7s" and the "7sZ", manufactured until the mid '70s, marketed '65 - '80, was the last Canon RF. It had a T speed. One of my Canon "7s" cameras has a date code of '72, if memory serves me.
You mean the last Canon SLR to have the T mode? My Nikon F3HP from 1986 has a T mode. And I believe there were a few Pentax models long after '62 that also had the T mode.
12-17-2015, 09:53 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by malinku Quote
The only film cameras I Know for sure that have it are my old exaktas.
The mostly electronic Nikon F3 required T mode for extended exposures requiring no battery power but I wonder why did the Exaktas when it had bulb mode? Was it awkward to operate like the F3?
12-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Note: The Nikon F3 does have a B mode, and thus it wasn't 'required' to use T for extended exposures. T just saved you on batteries and reduced the risk of the shutter closing because the battery didn't supply enough voltage. And IMO the F3's T mode was not awkward to operate. You wouldn't use it for a shorter extended exposure like 1 minute....that's why they have the B mode. You would use it for very long extended exposures. Yes, turning the shutter speed dial does cause movement, but it's like shooting with a pinhole camera; how much of a blurred exposure are you going to get after a 10-60 minute exposure that is may have an incidental camera movement in the last 1/4 second? And as you had suggested in #6, if that was an issue, you'd just put your hand or the lens cap to block light before closing the shutter. You probably know all this, but I'm just defensive about the F3HP as it was the pinnacle of MF 35mm FSLRs and was the first camera that I bought that I really couldn't afford, but never regretted it as it essentially appreciated in value.

Sorry, I can't explain about the Exaktas.

12-17-2015, 10:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax MX had the equivalent of "T" for very long exposures as explained on page 12 of the manual.
- In B mode, hold the button down and move the lock lever to Lock position.
12-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
The Pentax MX had the equivalent of "T" for very long exposures as explained on page 12 of the manual.
- In B mode, hold the button down and move the lock lever to Lock position.
Doesn't that add camera shake to the exposure?

---------- Post added 12-17-15 at 02:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
You mean the last Canon SLR to have the T mode? My Nikon F3HP from 1986 has a T mode. And I believe there were a few Pentax models long after '62 that also had the T mode.
The last Canon SLR was '62. The last RF was still available as late as '80.
12-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use the "B" setting and a locking cable release.

Chris

12-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
And IMO the F3's T mode was not awkward to operate. . .
Awkward is not appropriate as it is a matter of opinion. Someone like yourself who got used to it would obviously think otherwise.
01-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #24
Forum Member

My 2005 Nikon SP re-issue has T as does my Contax IIa. My Leica IIIf has a T setting on the slow speed dial. So do lots of my view camera lenses. The Nikon F and F2 also have T settings on the shutter dial. I can not remember ever using T in the last 40 years. I just use a locking cable release and the B setting.