Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2015, 08:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax camera with "T" shutter speed?

I was wondering if any of the Pentax K-mount film camera's (or any other various K-mount camera) has the "T" (Time) shutter speed/exposure mode on it?
Pretty much the "Click once, it's open, click again, the shutter closes" shutter speed/exposure mode.

12-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, DSLRS have that in bulb mode, i'm fairly certain (97.3%) some film cameras will have that as well. Good luck!
12-16-2015, 08:44 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
I was wondering if any of the Pentax K-mount film camera's (or any other various K-mount camera) has the "T" (Time) shutter speed/exposure mode on it?
Pretty much the "Click once, it's open, click again, the shutter closes" shutter speed/exposure mode.
It's generally labeled as "B", but most film SLRs do have it (even the K1000!).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Well, DSLRS have that in bulb mode, i'm fairly certain (97.3%) some film cameras will have that as well. Good luck!
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's generally referred to and labeled as "B", but most film SLRs do have it (even the K1000!).
Bulb mode is different than T mode. Bulb mode requires the shutter button be held down for the duration of the exposure.
I don't think any Pentax SLRs have a true T mode, but I believe that any cameras that have a mechanical shutter lock may be used in bulb mode with the shutter button locked down.
The Pentax 67 has a T mode.

12-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #5
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Bulb mode is different than T mode. Bulb mode requires the shutter button be held down for the duration of the exposure. I don't think any Pentax SLRs have a true T mode, but I believe that any cameras that have a mechanical shutter lock may be used in bulb mode with the shutter button locked down. The Pentax 67 has a T mode.
You can customize bulb mode on dslrs to be start when you press, stop when you press. Check your manual.
12-16-2015, 08:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The only camera I have with the "T" mode on the shutter dial is the Nikon F3. In this setting, you fire the shutter and it will stay open until you move the shutter dial off that position. Of course you have to cover the lens first before you move the dial off the position so that the movement will not cause any issues.

Unlike the T mode I described above, the typical bulb setting requires constant pressure on the shutter trigger to keep the shutter open. Usually a remote cable with the locking capability can be used to keep pressure on the shutter button to keep the shutter open for as long as you want. However, on Pentax film cameras with bulb setting and the shutter button lock - such as on the the MX, LX, KX, Spotmatic F and others, you can use this shutter lock to hold the shutter open for as long as you want after firing the shutter.

---------- Post added 12-17-15 at 12:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
You can customize bulb mode on dslrs to be start when you press, stop when you press. Check your manual.
Of course this requires battery power . . .
12-16-2015, 09:12 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Bulb mode is different than T mode. Bulb mode requires the shutter button be held down for the duration of the exposure.
I don't think any Pentax SLRs have a true T mode, but I believe that any cameras that have a mechanical shutter lock may be used in bulb mode with the shutter button locked down.
Ah right, though you could of course use a mechanical cable release to lock it down.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-16-2015, 09:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I know that some Medium Format film camera's have it, and the only 35mm film camera I know has it is Nikon's F3, but didn't know if Pentax has it (or if anyone else has it).
12-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

All time lapse photos greater than 30 sec with most dslr's use bulb electronicaly (eg. interval shooting etc.) or even mechanically with cable or wireless shutter releases to time the exposure.
Film era time lapse photo greater than 1 sec k1000 ME super used bulb phisically holding it for the required time or mechanical shutter releases with lock & releases for the required exposure time.
12-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The only film cameras I Know for sure that have it are my old exaktas. My Minolta XK might have it but I'm not sure.
none of the Pentax cameras I owned have had T.
12-16-2015, 10:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by malinku Quote
The only film cameras I Know for sure that have it are my old exaktas. My Minolta XK might have it but I'm not sure.
none of the Pentax cameras I owned have had T.
I have the XK and it doesn't have the T mode.
12-16-2015, 10:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My Pentax SVs and H2s have "T" shutter speeds.
Glenn
12-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I have the XK and it doesn't have the T mode.
your right I just checked mine.
12-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
My Pentax SVs and H2s have "T" shutter speeds.
Glenn
I had a nagging suspicion that was the case (my S3 and SV are long gone, though) but a quick look here reveals that at least the S2 had a T mode.

Edit: the link shows the Super S2, but the photo for the S2/H2 is similar, as is that for the SV. However, from what I could see, to answer the OP's question, none of the Pentax K-mount film SLRs had a T setting.

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 12-16-2015 at 10:54 PM.
12-16-2015, 10:40 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
I know that some Medium Format film camera's have it, and the only 35mm film camera I know has it is Nikon's F3, but didn't know if Pentax has it (or if anyone else has it).
The Nikon F3 needs the T mode because among all settings available on it's shutter speed dial, the ONLY mechanical setting is 'T' (Time exposure). It doesn't draw battery power from the camera and thus it is a perfect setting for extended time exposure photography.