Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #31
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Also first I have heard that the KX is plasticky. It's most likely you are grossly mistaken . . .
Whoa! I never said that. P30, yeah maybe - but a KX? I have six now (silver and black split-image and matte, plus two beaters).

It wasn't me.

12-21-2015, 08:54 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Whoa! I never said that. P30, yeah maybe - but a KX? I have six now (silver and black split-image and matte, plus two beaters).

It wasn't me.
No it wasn't you. It was from the OP's original post as follows . . .
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Pentax KX -- getting closer. Right size, right feel, but a little bit plasticky with the trim and judas window. Good viewfinder display. Silver though... and not in great shape. Gone.

I am sure it is meant to apply to the OP only . . .
12-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #33
KDD
Veteran Member

How old is K2??

---------- Post added 12-21-15 at 09:12 PM ----------

Pentax K2 - Camerapedia - Wikia
12-22-2015, 01:58 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
How old is K2??

---------- Post added 12-21-15 at 09:12 PM ----------

Pentax K2 - Camerapedia - Wikia
And Pentax forums: Pentax K2 - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

12-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #35

Interesting journey! I picked up a K2 earlier this year but not actually used it yet - it came with a 50mm f1.2 lens which I eventually paid to have fixed, and I am just about to put a film in it and give it a go. I think the shutter is a bit sticky but probably worth just trying it out - who needs 1/1000! Um... I may eat those words. Re. ISO ring, mine works but you could always use the over/under ring instead.
12-23-2015, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I just got sniped on a black F2 / DP-1 and three lenses. I want another bulletproof film camera. OTOH I don't need to start LBA with a new mount, so maybe I should be thankful for the sniping.
I have a pristine F2 and this model deserves the recognition it has. However, assuming you want another Nikon, I cannot recommend the Nikkormat FT2 highly enough. It was the companion to the F2, but without all the system features. It is beautifully made, and I can't understand why they fetch so little on the market. The FT2 uses a 1.5 volt 76 button cell for the meter.
12-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mmm...K2 vs F2, here there are two shots of these cameras taken with my LX and M85mm:

12-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I have a KX, a K2DMD and many other Pentax SLRs. My go-to pair remains the LX and the MX. I have small hands and they suit me just fine. Still, I enjoy taking the others out whenever I can... That's the great thing...

12-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I have a KX, a K2DMD and many other Pentax SLRs. My go-to pair remains the LX and the MX. I have small hands and they suit me just fine. Still, I enjoy taking the others out whenever I can... That's the great thing...
If you have small hands then the Nikon F2 is the camera for you!
12-31-2015, 09:36 AM   #40
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
No it wasn't you. It was from the OP's original post as follows . . .

I am sure it is meant to apply to the OP only . . .
Yes, just me

I realize I am splitting hairs ... and I've already insulted the venerable Nikon FM2n! But I am in search of Camera Perfection here... this isn't some run-of-the-mill case of GAS!

The two bits that seem plasticky (compared to the Spotmatic F and the K2) are the Judas window (which is surprisingly clear for what looks like a dimestore blob of optical plastic in a cheap plastic trim) and the ASA ring around the rewind knob. The F has a simple metal reminder ring for film type; the K2 has an un-adorned rewind knob. Tiny difference, but there it is.

Just to keep the abuse going, I will say that I love the LX but HATE the plastic shutter speed knob! Spoils the nice metallic feel.

I have a quick update on my particular K2. The replacement leathers from Camera Leather have arrived! I'm looking forward to doing the full clean up and installing them. I'll take some before and after pictures...
12-31-2015, 10:49 AM   #41
Lens Buying Addict

Do you recall the word 'plastics' from the cocktail party in The Graduate? Plastic was actually cool in the 70's and 80's (and revolutionary in the 60's). I once bought a used handmade custom 1965 cane fly fishing rod. The aluminum protective rod tube had a screw in plastic cap which I dismissed as a replacement. Turns out the maker's serial number records stated the plastic cap was an upcharge option to replace the customary brass end cap.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-31-2015 at 11:41 AM.
12-31-2015, 11:03 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
I realize I am splitting hairs ... and I've already insulted the venerable Nikon FM2n! But I am in search of Camera Perfection here... this isn't some run-of-the-mill case of GAS!
I am not one to judge and won't stand in the way of someone in a quest for the holy grail . . .

12-31-2015, 07:00 PM   #43

Kx k2 mx me

I saw this thread and thought it would chime in as I own the following Pentax film SLR: KX K2 MX ME

ME Super: This is the camera I started out on all those years ago. I love the ergonomics of this camera; everything is in the right place and just feels great in my hands. The 1/2000th exposure speed and quiet shutter makes this camera very usable. When coupled with my plastic Rikenon P 50/2 it has to be one of the lightest, most compact 35mm SLR systems out there. This is the camera I would take if I'm travelling or on holidays and just want a reliable point-and-shoot that gets the job done.

MX: About a year ago I was looking for a fully manual SLR which I could utilize all my K mount lenses on. I did a bit of research and the MX made sense to me. As others have pointed out, it is extremely small (and I have big hands), the LEDs in the viewfinder are hard to see in direct sunlight and the exposure dial is rather stiff, but do these shortcomings stop me from enjoying the camera? Not at all. If you ask me, I think it's the best looking film SLR Pentax ever made. Very handsome and cute at the same time (if that's even possible). Did I mention the light meter is extremely accurate? Couple that with interchangeable backs and screens and we have a winner ladies and gentlemen.

KX: Now, on paper the KX and MX look quite similar, but in practice they are completely different beasts. The needle match system, cumbersome size, and less accurate light meter just stopped me from falling in love with it. Then there's the awkward switching of the meter where you must cock the film lever to turn it on. The MX is much more intuitive in that way; you just depress the shutter button slightly and it turns on. Let go - it turns off. I just find when I'm walking around with the KX it feels like "Hey everybody I'm wearing a camera!", whereas with the MX it's a much more discreet affair. For me, that's important as I primarily do street photography. I don't want to be hulking around this big piece of machinery while I'm trying to stealthily capture great human moments.

K2: Hmm. This is just a weird one. The K2 kinda feels like it doesn't know what it wants to be. Is it manual? is it automatic? Because it feels like a manual camera in the weight and ergonomics department, yet it doesn't have a judas window which I feel is an important feature for a manual camera to have. But then it's coupled with an automatic exposure system. If I want an AE camera I would grab the ME any day over the K2. It's more ergonomically sound and isn't trying to be something it's not. It knows what it is and does it well. Then again, if you're looking for the ultimate manual and automatic exposure Pentax camera, why not just save up and buy an LX?

To summarize:
Best manual street SLR? Pentax MX
Best manual studio SLR? Pentax KX.
Best automatic exposure SLR? Pentax ME / LX
01-01-2016, 12:40 AM   #44

I should also mention that, while I am aware of the K2 DMD's addition of a judas window, I can not forgive the unusual placement of the ASA and exposure compensation dials. They are a real deal breaker for me. Not only are they awkwardly placed, but they get stiff over time and require lubing. The K2 simply does not strike me as a refined camera.
01-01-2016, 05:25 PM   #45
Veteran Member

If the ASA ring is lubricated there is no problem and it's also handy.

Of course the K2 is a "different" camera, but this doesn't mean that it's inferior and the ASA ring/underovexposure system was meant to be operated by the right hand while you don't move the eye from the viewfinder...I've never seen anybody complaining about the shutter speed of the Nikkormat, for instance, that is quite similar.