Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2016, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I've never seen anybody complaining about the shutter speed of the Nikkormat, for instance, that is quite similar.

I sold my Nikkormat FT3 because I can't stand the shutter speed dial around the lens mount.
That's also one of the reasons I'd never own an Olympus OM-series camera.

Chris

01-01-2016, 06:19 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now you've seen it

I'm on my third attempt to like a K2. I recently ran across a perfect silver version and was given a nice black one attached to a lens I bought on eBay. Everything on both of them works as designed but our weather has been so bad (major flooding in St. Louis you might have seen on television is just 15 minutes from my house) that I haven't gotten out.

Tomorrow I plan to get out and see what I can see from the bluffs and take some photos. I think I'll take a K2 and a 35 just for the exercise.
01-01-2016, 11:31 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm on my third attempt to like a K2.
It's not a good sign if you're on your 3rd attempt to like anything for that matter.For me, it's got to be love at first shoot. And with the MX and SP, it was.
01-01-2016, 11:42 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RR84 Quote
It's not a good sign if you're on your 3rd attempt to like anything for that matter.For me, it's got to be love at first shoot. And with the MX and SP, it was.
There is this thing called "acquired taste". I used to "hate" primes and normal focal lengths...so boring. But over the years, I have gone 180 and prefer primes and normal lenses now. I used to love aperture extremes, but now I'll take f/8 all day long.

01-02-2016, 12:24 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
There is this thing called "acquired taste". I used to "hate" primes and normal focal lengths...so boring. But over the years, I have gone 180 and prefer primes and normal lenses now. I used to love aperture extremes, but now I'll take f/8 all day long.
That's a good point. Our tastes do change over time so it can be worthwhile revisiting old gear or trying something new.
01-02-2016, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RR84 Quote
It's a pathological love/hate relationship.
01-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #52

Photos: Gallery
Got 2 extra K2 bodies this week by coincidence more or less. One had a stiff ISO ring so I decided to repair it myself. Very simple indeed with the help of just a srewdriver.
Also got some original advertisements of it, it seems that even the focus screen had SMC coating!

For me it is not the holy grail (LX) but I do like the simple, clean layout of controls and the body looks and feels very sturdy.
Unlike the body of the MX which is just too small, light and vulnerable to dents.

Some more K2 pictures wouldn't harm;

01-02-2016, 09:09 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barabas Quote
Some more K2 pictures wouldn't harm;
Very nice and looks good with the K50/1.4!

Phil.

---------- Post added 01-02-16 at 08:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm on my third attempt to like a K2.
I see your point, I never liked the K2 as much as the K2DMD or KX. Though I have had better luck usage wise with my K2s than my K2DMDs, which seem more prone to problems.

Hope the rain/flooding stops and you get out shooting today!

Phil.
01-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are some SOOC K-01 snapshots of one of my K2's. This is my current user K2. Everything works (sometimes the battery check lamp takes a nap) including the ASA ring but the battery cover is not original (no 'shoulders' to hold the two batteries) and there are some spots in the mirror. All-in, it's in remarkably good shape for forty years old.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
01-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Got 2 extra K2 bodies this week by coincidence more or less. One had a stiff ISO ring so I decided to repair it myself. Very simple indeed with the help of just a srewdriver.

Oooh, that silver body is in lovely condition.

Any hints on how to do the repair? Where do I stick that screwdriver?
01-04-2016, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Partial restoration

As I said, my "new" K2 had an unpleasant odour, so I undertook a thorough cleaning.
  • Cleaned the body and removed the original leathers
  • Replaced the foam seals and mirror bumper
  • Installed replacement leathers (VH Black from CameraLeather)

I thought of repainting it, but the brassing adds so much character to these cameras.

Photos of the original condition and the results below.

The ISO ring is stiff. If anyone has suggestions for servicing this myself, I'd be happy to hear...
Attached Images

01-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
The ISO ring is stiff. If anyone has suggestions for servicing this myself, I'd be happy to hear...
There is always a danger with oil near a camera, but this is what I did; sprayed a super light non oily (LPS1) into a film canister. (you can use WD40 otherwise as a second choice). Have only about 1/16 inch in canister, and dip the end of a toothpick into it. So little will show on the toothpick, you won't see it. Touch the toothpick to the gap between the ISO ring and compensation ring. Repeat as required.
01-05-2016, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #58

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Oooh, that silver body is in lovely condition.

Any hints on how to do the repair? Where do I stick that screwdriver?
That body has probably not been used at all

With the screwdriver I removed the bayonet (5 screws). Here are some hints;

-Behind the bayonet (and the black plastic ring), you'll see two flat springs. One on the top, for the exposure correction clicks. And one bottom right, for locking the film speed.
Take a good look at how the springs are positioned (or make a photograph), then it will be easy to put them back in the end. They are not small so no worry that you might lose them.

-in my case, the metal behind the spring on the top was a bit corroded/ dirty, so I cleaned it with a bit of alcohol. If it is not clean, obviously the correction ring will not turn smooth. I think it is ok to lubricate this part with a tiny drop too, but I didn't do that.

-I also removed the asa dial to see which part on the camera is actually moved when it is turned; it is a lever that is located on the right outer side of the
lens opening. This lever is what links the asa dial to the light meter. If you push that lever up and down, on the inside of the lens opening you can see that the lever moves
yet another ring. I thought this ring had a bit too much friction when moved, so I put a tiny bit of WD40 (with cotton stick) onto that ring -where it touches the non moving surrounding- to reduce the friction
and put everything back together.

When putting things back together;

-on the inside of the asa dial there is a empty space that holds the lever; make sure the lever is indeed fitted in when placing back the dial. If it is not in, the ring won't move at all but gets stuck.

-Take care the flat springs don't get trapped in between the black ring and asa dial, but stay on their place. If a spring partly gets in between no harm will be done but the bayonet simply won't fit tight. When placing back the black plastic ring; on the backside of it there is a little empty space to contain/ hold the 'film speed' spring in place. Again, if the position of the ring is not right it all simply doesn't fit well.

-There is actually a third really big circular spring (brass coloured) that attaches to the back of the bayonet, to 'hold' the lens. Its position is very obvious so I didn't give it attention, but when attaching the bayonet make sure it is positioned ok.

So except for the screwdriver you need some common sense, a little patience, alcohol, a cottonstick and perhaps a drop of wd40 or other lubricant. After assembling I moved the iso dial up and down a few times (8-6400 asa) and everything is working smooth again.

Last edited by Barabas; 01-05-2016 at 05:26 AM.
01-05-2016, 07:39 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks folks! I pulled the lens mount off, cleaned out a little dust/crud and sparingly applied a tiny bit of sewing machine oil. The whole thing runs smooth and free now. Very pleased.
01-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That body has probably not been used at all

With the screwdriver I removed the bayonet (5 screws). Here are some hints;

. . . . .

So except for the screwdriver you need some common sense, a little patience, alcohol, a cottonstick and perhaps a drop of wd40 or other lubricant. After assembling I moved the iso dial up and down a few times (8-6400 asa) and everything is working smooth again.
Thanks for sharing!