Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #61
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Aw, man! Reading this thread is making me nostalgic for my film days! I own a silver K2, K2DMD, and black MX, all purchased new. The K2DMD was my daily shooter. I got around the small size of the MX by attaching the motor drive. I would sometimes remove the batteries and just use it for the improved grip. My cameras look nothing (condition-wise) like the K2 [B]Barabas[B] has. That one looks untouched! The only thing missing is the little plastic double dust cap for the flash sync sockets! I suppose I should get mine out and see how they are doing...

01-09-2016, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #62

I got my K2 back from Eric last week, and I'm enjoying a sort of second honeymoon. I'm thinking it may live a long happy life, full of Tri-X.

As usual, after being Eric-ed, it looks and functions just like it should.
01-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lenscap Quote
I got my K2 back from Eric last week, and I'm enjoying a sort of second honeymoon. I'm thinking it may live a long happy life, full of Tri-X.

Good news and enjoy!

Phil.
01-10-2016, 11:29 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by commongrounder Quote
Aw, man! Reading this thread is making me nostalgic for my film days! I own a silver K2, K2DMD, and black MX, all purchased new. The K2DMD was my daily shooter. I got around the small size of the MX by attaching the motor drive.
Post a pic of them or it didn't happen!

01-10-2016, 12:24 PM   #65
Forum Member

[/url]
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Post a pic of them or it didn't happen!
Ha! They happened, all right! I have thousands of Kodachrome and Ektachrome slides to prove it!

Here they are in all their brassy, dusty glory:

[url="https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=294363"]

They all work well, but need the usual new foam gaskets and bumpers. I managed to keep the little double flash sync cover on the MX, since it was protected from snagging, I guess.
02-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I still have my K2 DMD, I bought it when I develop film for Color Craft in the mid ''70s.remember how expensive it was, everyone thought I was crazy.
I love that camera, such a solid build and great feel with large hands. I remember buying film by the case and keeping it in the freezer.

Good times, had that camera with me all the time!
03-19-2021, 09:41 PM   #67

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, friends: next time I attend a used camera fair, I'll checkout the K2DMD. Based on most of your feedback, it's worth trying it at least.

03-20-2021, 03:33 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lenscap Quote

I gambled on a "spares or repair" K2DMD and Eric bought it back to life and it has worked flawlessly ever since. He did say there was something wrong with either the motordrive connections or the databack connections (I don't remember now) but as I have neither that has never been an issue.

Enjoy.
03-20-2021, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #69
Veteran Member

There are lots of ways I prefer my K2 to my LX, the main one being the needle exposure readout in the VF. With the LX, the leds get very hard to see in bright daylight which is a serious design flaw.
The LX does not have AE lock, so pretty much in day to day shooting i.e not using a tripod for super long exposures, it is the same as the K2. A basic aperture priority camera with manual override.
03-20-2021, 08:05 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm seriously considering purchasing a K2 DMD. I do have a nice chrome K2 and a slightly less nice Black K2. I'd probably sell the black K2 once I got the DMD. My interest isn't the motor capability. I'm more interested in having the aperture window like my KX.

So I'm seeing most DMDs are $300 and up in nice shape. The other option is find a clean looking parts camera for $100 and hope I can get to fixed and cla for $200 more. Either way I'm spending $300... I do think this camera will only continue to increase in price. I'm also considering a Nikon F3 which I can get for less than $300.

03-20-2021, 03:05 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After using and a Pentax KX for years I was unimpressed by the "meh" plain old Pentax K2. But I like the K2DMD much more.
FWIW I sold my Pentax LX but still own and use a K2DMD. My current one needed a shutter unit, replaced by Eric Hendrickson.

I bought one K2DMD set complete with non-working motor drive. Eric didn't have the parts required to repair it, but no great shakes;
the K2DMD "motor drive" has a rate of only about 2 fps, the same as most power winders of the era - but requiring more hardware.

Only when I require fast motorized film advance I use my Pentax MX with Winder MX.
I wouldn't mind owning a working Motor Drive MX set, but I've never seen a working one...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-20-2021 at 03:18 PM.
03-21-2021, 05:07 PM - 2 Likes   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
After using and a Pentax KX for years I was unimpressed by the "meh" plain old Pentax K2. But I like the K2DMD much more.
FWIW I sold my Pentax LX but still own and use a K2DMD. My current one needed a shutter unit, replaced by Eric Hendrickson.

I bought one K2DMD set complete with non-working motor drive. Eric didn't have the parts required to repair it, but no great shakes;
the K2DMD "motor drive" has a rate of only about 2 fps, the same as most power winders of the era - but requiring more hardware.

Only when I require fast motorized film advance I use my Pentax MX with Winder MX.
I wouldn't mind owning a working Motor Drive MX set, but I've never seen a working one...

Chris
A couple of years ago I sold my MX motor. I had the AA grip and an LX NiCd that I rebuilt, plus the charger. What a dummy, I should have kept it. I had the 250exp back for the MX too...sold that. I used it one time...at NHRA drag races...I've got a spool of 33' I shot that day in my freezer... Who can develope 33' of C41 these days?

Tonight I did by the K2 DMD with MD motor...no battery though...$300. My stimulus check...that and a Bronica EC with 3 lenses.

03-30-2021, 06:13 AM - 2 Likes   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I pulled the trigger on a K2 DMD. I paid $300 for one which included the Motor MD (without a battery). I'm ok with what I got, but the description was lacking and no picture of the back was provided...so I didn't see the scrape/ding on the winder side top back edge. While everything works well, the mirror box foam needs replacement and the prism/focusing screen has internal dust that's annoying, so I think a CLA is in its future.

03-30-2021, 08:16 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by commongrounder Quote
Aw, man! Reading this thread is making me nostalgic for my film days! I own a silver K2, K2DMD, and black MX, all purchased new. The K2DMD was my daily shooter. I got around the small size of the MX by attaching the motor drive. I would sometimes remove the batteries and just use it for the improved grip. My cameras look nothing (condition-wise) like the K2 [B]Barabas[B] has. That one looks untouched! The only thing missing is the little plastic double dust cap for the flash sync sockets! I suppose I should get mine out and see how they are doing...
Like you reading this has inspired me. My K2 has the dreaded film speed jam. Luckily it is stuck on ASA200 which suits me fine as I will now load it up with XP2 Plus. If everything else goes well, off to the camera doctor it will go.
The K2 is a beautiful machine. Sure the ASA dial is poorly executed and the exposure comp is a waste of time, but just switch it to manual if you need to adjust exposure as the match needle system is the best for this. The size and heft of the camera are just perfect, all the other controls are excellent and run well and the viewfinder is among the best. To say nothing of the classic styling.
03-30-2021, 09:40 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
So I pulled the trigger on a K2 DMD. I paid $300 for one which included the Motor MD (without a battery). I'm ok with what I got, but the description was lacking and no picture of the back was provided...so I didn't see the scrape/ding on the winder side top back edge. While everything works well, the mirror box foam needs replacement and the prism/focusing screen has internal dust that's annoying, so I think a CLA is in its future.
The seller knew what he was doing when he didn't post pics of the back.