Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2015, 08:05 AM   #16
Veteran Member

k1000 kept 4 in the trunk of my car. 1 loaded with kodachrome 64 - 1 with Ektar 125 - 1 with kodak Gold 400- 1 with kodak B & W. Made some $$$$ shooting commercially so I could buy more stuff. You could bang nails with them! Just like the K3. As a matter of fact I think I built a cottage with a couple of them!

12-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Hm... if there is a K-2 slr... the pentax FF can't really be upgraded from the K-1 to the K-2, can it... They've really pickled themselves with the name.
This is about the K2, not the K-2. Small difference, but a difference nonetheless.

But yeah, Pentax camera naming sucks.
12-19-2015, 10:19 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Like reading about your 'journey' to find some slr that gives you the Spotmatic F experience, would like to read more stories like that from other die-hard analog enthousiasts.

With every 'new' model I get and try, the journey seems to go on however. Decided not to get rid of the slr's that I like best, and the K2 is one of them. The size is just right, it feels very solid, looks very 'clean' and that shutter sounds really good. I first thought it had the same body as the KM and KX, but it is completely different.

I like that without batteries you can use B, 1/125s and 1/1000s, which gives just a bit more flexibility in case batteries would fail. The awkward ISO dial is not a big negative to me, but what I don't like is that it is VERY hard to see if the exposure correction is activated or not. On the bayonet, there is the smallest possible dot as an indicator, and it is not possible to see it in the shade. Can live with it but that should have been designed better.

My K2 is in great condition but few months ago suddenly the meter only works as long as the shutter release button is pressed, while it is supposed to stay on when the wind lever is 'opened'. Not a big deal, it meters fine and shutter reacts fine too.
It could be something to check, maybe someone had the same issue and could tell why this occured?
12-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barabas Quote
but what I don't like is that it is VERY hard to see if the exposure correction is activated or not
The K2DMD fixed that issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by Barabas Quote
My K2 is in great condition but few months ago suddenly the meter only works as long as the shutter release button is pressed, while it is supposed to stay on when the wind lever is 'opened'. Not a big deal, it meters fine and shutter reacts fine too.
It could be something to check, maybe someone had the same issue and could tell why this occured?
I had that happen to me with one of my K2DMDs, Sent it to Eric and all is good!

Phil.

---------- Post added 12-19-15 at 09:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Yup, unfortunately I don't use very much the K2 but the DMD is one of my best cameras, in terms of feel it's a tank like a Canon F-1, of course ideally it should have a 50mm f1.2 with original hood:
That combo is about as good as it gets!

Beautiful set!

Phil.

---------- Post added 12-19-15 at 09:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think the KX is the perfect Pentax film camera.
Yep still my personal favorite of all, along with the K55/1.8 attached!

Phil.

12-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K2 was/is my favorite of all the manual focus K mount cameras that I've used. I never really got along with the K1000 and KX. I like the MX, but it always felt too small.
I paid $25 for my (slightly beat up) black K2, and I got a lot of use out it. This thread reminds me that I need to send it to Eric.
12-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #21
Veteran Member

My K2 and KX live together in the same bag. I don't think I could take one without the other.

In a slightly smaller (and lighter) bag is my ME and MX, also a perfect pair.
12-20-2015, 12:34 PM   #22
Pentaxian

The K series are just the right size for m hands, which is the main reason I like them. The Minolta SRT series are very similar (and also very nice indeed).

12-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The K series are just the right size for m hands, which is the main reason I like them. The Minolta SRT series are very similar (and also very nice indeed).
Yes classics other than the Pentax mentioned in earlier posts include the Minolta SRT series and for more automation the X700. Nikon FM2, FM2n, FM3a, or my favorite, the F3HP. I own a Nikon N2000 which has survived years of insults because it wasn't a pro model, but works great. The Nikon FM10 (or it's twin the Vivitar V3800n) are the more plastic and modern versions of the K1000 as is the ProMaster 2500PK that accepts K mount lenses. The Canon AE-1 became the defacto camera in the late 70's after the K1000, but the only MF Canon I would consider is the A1.

Autofocus has come a long way and if you're used to AF with a DSLR, you'll find AF with most FSLR painfully slow and inaccurate, and manually focusing those lenses and with those camera finders, less than ideal. But if you wanted to go AF with a non-Pentax, I'd suggest either the Nikon F100 or if you wanted weather-sealing, go to the bank and finance a Nikon F6.

Value-wise? Stay with Pentax! Although new lenses aren't backward compatible with manual exposure only film cameras, at least anything you get for the K1000 will work on a new Pentax DSLR.
12-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #24

I think it's the first time I see someone using the word flimsy to describe the FM2n. An amazing SLR but I prefer the titanium Contax S2.
As for the ultimate tank, my only choice would be the Nikon F2AS.

I've gone full circle and returned to the Pentax SV, in my opinion the perfect Pentax SLR.
12-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
They've done it before. There was a KX film camera (Pentax KX - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications) that was out from 1975-77, then there's the KX digital camera that came out n 2009 (http://bit.ly/1Yr6Iue)
The film camera from the seventies was the KX. The dslr of a few years ago was the K-x. Subtle, but distinct difference. I remember, when the K-x was current, users posted questions and asked about their KX camera. They didn't understand the answers they got, based on the KX film camera.
12-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PedroT Quote
I think it's the first time I see someone using the word flimsy to describe the FM2n. An amazing SLR but I prefer the titanium Contax S2.
Believe me, I was surprised. The general opinion of the FM2n is so high out on the internet, I expected it to be SOLID. That it seems flimsy compared to a Spotmatic speaks well of the Spotmatic. In addition, I found the FM2n film wind to feel weak, like it might break if abused. Sort of like the Yashica Mat vs. the Rolleiflex. I did find an FM2n with stripped film wind and that confirmed my impression. The F2 and F3 seem indestructible, and the F3 had the smoothest 35mm wind that I've ever felt.

I very much wanted to try a Contax S2 but it seemed pricy for an experiment. There are three 35mm SLRs that I would love to sample, but are too rich for my blood:

- Contax S2
- Leica R9
- Rollei 3003
12-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just got sniped on a black F2 / DP-1 and three lenses. I want another bulletproof film camera. OTOH I don't need to start LBA with a new mount, so maybe I should be thankful for the sniping.
12-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Believe me, I was surprised. The general opinion of the FM2n is so high out on the internet, I expected it to be SOLID. That it seems flimsy compared to a Spotmatic speaks well of the Spotmatic. In addition, I found the FM2n film wind to feel weak, like it might break if abused. Sort of like the Yashica Mat vs. the Rolleiflex. I did find an FM2n with stripped film wind and that confirmed my impression. The F2 and F3 seem indestructible, and the F3 had the smoothest 35mm wind that I've ever felt.

I very much wanted to try a Contax S2 but it seemed pricy for an experiment. There are three 35mm SLRs that I would love to sample, but are too rich for my blood:

- Contax S2
- Leica R9
- Rollei 3003
On paper, the Rollei 3003 looks incredible, and I bought one new back when they were available new. Nothing worked! After two days of utter frustration, the camera store admitted it was defective and offered me a replacement. I was so disappointed in the fact that such a brand new camera had so many issues that I lost faith and got a full refund. If that didn't happen, I would have never discovered the Pentax 645
12-21-2015, 03:36 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Though it was one of the loudest SLRs I ever owned my Nikon FM2n never struck me as flimsy.
That said IMO there was a perceptible decline in quality "feel" between the FM/FE and FM2/FE2.

Chris
12-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I just got sniped on a black F2 / DP-1 and three lenses. I want another bulletproof film camera. OTOH I don't need to start LBA with a new mount, so maybe I should be thankful for the sniping.
Yes you should be thankful . . .

Also first I have heard that the KX is plasticky. It's most likely you are grossly mistaken . . .

Last edited by LesDMess; 12-21-2015 at 08:25 PM.