Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2015, 09:37 AM   #46
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,739
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Confirmed even 250ISO may not be enough with Microphen
ID-11/D-76 is a better developer for fine grain structure and image tonality. Microphen is better for pushing, but if you aren't doing that then there is little reason to use it. For ISO 400 B&W pan films XTOL is a popular choice for the speed, minimal grain and tonality it offers, and it is less likely to blow out the highlights than microphen*. though it is said that XTOL suffers from sudden, unexplained exhaustion without apparent cause - personally I have never had this happen to me.

* Microphen is too active. For IR work, if you nail the exposure you are going to have a lot of the tonality on the right of the midtone, so the ability to preserve highlights is crucial. Fortunately the film highlight shoulder is far more forgiving than linear digital in this regard.


Last edited by Digitalis; 12-28-2015 at 10:32 AM.
12-28-2015, 07:05 AM   #47
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 482
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
ID-11/D-76 is a better developer for fine grain structure and image tonality. Microphen is better for pushing, but if you aren't doing that then there is little reason to use it. For ISO 400 B&W pan films X-TOL is a popular choice for the speed, minimal grain and tonality it offers, and it is less likely to blow out the highlights than microphen*. though it is said to suffer from sudden exhaustion without apparent cause - personally I have never had this happen to me.

* Microphen is too active. For IR work, if you nail the exposure you are going to have a lot of the tonality on the right of the midtone, so the ability to preserve highlights is crucial. Fortunately the film highlight shoulder is far more forgiving than linear digital in this regard.
Never detected any difference between developers myself except for contrast v time at 20c, I normally only use PQ for eczema.

Nor a sudden death syndrome in Microphen or ID 68.

But you won't be able to easily nail exposure in far red/near infra red shots instead you need to bracket and hope.
12-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Alex645's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kaneohe, HI
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,267
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Never detected any difference between developers myself except for contrast v time at 20c, I normally only use PQ for eczema.

Nor a sudden death syndrome in Microphen or ID 68.

But you won't be able to easily nail exposure in far red/near infra red shots instead you need to bracket and hope.
I agree that bracketing is essential for best results. But there is a significant difference in developers, especially if you print 16x20" or larger.

From years of trial and error I have personally found that I can get optimum results (balance of speed, price, grain, contrast/tonal range) with:

ID11 for Ilford Pan, FP4+, HP5+, Kentmere 100 and 400
DD-X for Ilford Delta 100 and 400
D-76 for Plus-X and Tri-X
Tmax Developer for Tmax 100 and 400

But because I assign students to many different films and shoot many different stocks depending on the subject, I favor Xtol as the best overall.
Many of the excellent developers mentioned in other posts but not here are more specialized and will outperform Xtol in certain ways, usually grain.

As for Ilford SFX 200, I've shot only perhaps 5 rolls and do not have an opinion on which developer would be best suited. If I had to guess, I'd start with ID-11.
12-29-2015, 07:38 AM   #49
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 482
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I agree that bracketing is essential for best results. But there is a significant difference in developers, especially if you print 16x20" or larger.

From years of trial and error I have personally found that I can get optimum results (balance of speed, price, grain, contrast/tonal range) with:

ID11 for Ilford Pan, FP4+, HP5+, Kentmere 100 and 400
DD-X for Ilford Delta 100 and 400
D-76 for Plus-X and Tri-X
Tmax Developer for Tmax 100 and 400

But because I assign students to many different films and shoot many different stocks depending on the subject, I favor Xtol as the best overall.
Many of the excellent developers mentioned in other posts but not here are more specialized and will outperform Xtol in certain ways, usually grain.

As for Ilford SFX 200, I've shot only perhaps 5 rolls and do not have an opinion on which developer would be best suited. If I had to guess, I'd start with ID-11.
There is only a nats whisker between ID11 and D76.
-- ID-11 D76 Variants --
Grain is so subjective 16x20 blind on different subjects might be difficult, but I accept I'm biased as I like grain.
Tmax and Microphen are not worlds apart either and will soften the toe of the Tmax films.
I tell people any developer is ok but fix by inspection is necessary or refix when you think you have Bromide drag.
And use HCA and over wash.

12-29-2015, 11:15 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Alex645's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kaneohe, HI
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,267
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
There is only a nats whisker between ID11 and D76.
-- ID-11 D76 Variants --
Grain is so subjective 16x20 blind on different subjects might be difficult, but I accept I'm biased as I like grain.
Tmax and Microphen are not worlds apart either and will soften the toe of the Tmax films.
I tell people any developer is ok but fix by inspection is necessary or refix when you think you have Bromide drag.
And use HCA and over wash.
Yes only a gnats whisker, unless you're a female gnat attracted to a male gnat that is well whiskered. The difference is subtle and most can't tell in a blind test between Plus-X and FP4+, for example.

Wouldn't it be cool if the next generation of Silver Efex Pro 2 not only included the simulated tonal responses of various B&W films, but also developers with customization for temperatures, etc? I find that software extremely helpful in deciding what film I may want to use on my next subject...mostly the tonal range responses as the grain structures are distinctive.
12-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #51
Pentaxian
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,892
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
What RF did you get?

How does rollei compare to hie? I have been using the hie and IR ektachrome I have stored in the freezer. I don't know if I can get the IR ektachrome processed any more.
I got a Petri racer. Decent camera, super annoying to load.

I've never tried HIE, before my time sadly!
12-29-2015, 06:25 PM   #52
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 647
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I got a Petri racer. Decent camera, super annoying to load.

I've never tried HIE, before my time sadly!
Fixed 45mm lens? Funky shutter button? Is it easy enough for IR?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
b&w, black, camera, film, filter, filter on film, infra, ir, ir filter, red, white
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax-A 135mm f2.8 quality on film cameras Lititz Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 03-09-2015 05:13 PM
Tips on using flash? Zephos Photographic Technique 20 03-02-2015 08:05 AM
Tips for using an "A" lens on my K500 ripper2860 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 16 05-29-2014 10:43 PM
Tips and tricks on using a monopod 6BQ5 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 8 09-15-2013 08:40 AM
Using an IR filter on MF jct us101 Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 02-18-2009 02:29 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:41 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top