Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2015, 09:37 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Confirmed even 250ISO may not be enough with Microphen
ID-11/D-76 is a better developer for fine grain structure and image tonality. Microphen is better for pushing, but if you aren't doing that then there is little reason to use it. For ISO 400 B&W pan films XTOL is a popular choice for the speed, minimal grain and tonality it offers, and it is less likely to blow out the highlights than microphen*. though it is said that XTOL suffers from sudden, unexplained exhaustion without apparent cause - personally I have never had this happen to me.

* Microphen is too active. For IR work, if you nail the exposure you are going to have a lot of the tonality on the right of the midtone, so the ability to preserve highlights is crucial. Fortunately the film highlight shoulder is far more forgiving than linear digital in this regard.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-28-2015 at 10:32 AM.
12-28-2015, 07:05 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
ID-11/D-76 is a better developer for fine grain structure and image tonality. Microphen is better for pushing, but if you aren't doing that then there is little reason to use it. For ISO 400 B&W pan films X-TOL is a popular choice for the speed, minimal grain and tonality it offers, and it is less likely to blow out the highlights than microphen*. though it is said to suffer from sudden exhaustion without apparent cause - personally I have never had this happen to me.

* Microphen is too active. For IR work, if you nail the exposure you are going to have a lot of the tonality on the right of the midtone, so the ability to preserve highlights is crucial. Fortunately the film highlight shoulder is far more forgiving than linear digital in this regard.
Never detected any difference between developers myself except for contrast v time at 20c, I normally only use PQ for eczema.

Nor a sudden death syndrome in Microphen or ID 68.

But you won't be able to easily nail exposure in far red/near infra red shots instead you need to bracket and hope.
12-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Never detected any difference between developers myself except for contrast v time at 20c, I normally only use PQ for eczema.

Nor a sudden death syndrome in Microphen or ID 68.

But you won't be able to easily nail exposure in far red/near infra red shots instead you need to bracket and hope.
I agree that bracketing is essential for best results. But there is a significant difference in developers, especially if you print 16x20" or larger.

From years of trial and error I have personally found that I can get optimum results (balance of speed, price, grain, contrast/tonal range) with:

ID11 for Ilford Pan, FP4+, HP5+, Kentmere 100 and 400
DD-X for Ilford Delta 100 and 400
D-76 for Plus-X and Tri-X
Tmax Developer for Tmax 100 and 400

But because I assign students to many different films and shoot many different stocks depending on the subject, I favor Xtol as the best overall.
Many of the excellent developers mentioned in other posts but not here are more specialized and will outperform Xtol in certain ways, usually grain.

As for Ilford SFX 200, I've shot only perhaps 5 rolls and do not have an opinion on which developer would be best suited. If I had to guess, I'd start with ID-11.
12-29-2015, 07:38 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I agree that bracketing is essential for best results. But there is a significant difference in developers, especially if you print 16x20" or larger.

From years of trial and error I have personally found that I can get optimum results (balance of speed, price, grain, contrast/tonal range) with:

ID11 for Ilford Pan, FP4+, HP5+, Kentmere 100 and 400
DD-X for Ilford Delta 100 and 400
D-76 for Plus-X and Tri-X
Tmax Developer for Tmax 100 and 400

But because I assign students to many different films and shoot many different stocks depending on the subject, I favor Xtol as the best overall.
Many of the excellent developers mentioned in other posts but not here are more specialized and will outperform Xtol in certain ways, usually grain.

As for Ilford SFX 200, I've shot only perhaps 5 rolls and do not have an opinion on which developer would be best suited. If I had to guess, I'd start with ID-11.
There is only a nats whisker between ID11 and D76.
-- ID-11 D76 Variants --
Grain is so subjective 16x20 blind on different subjects might be difficult, but I accept I'm biased as I like grain.
Tmax and Microphen are not worlds apart either and will soften the toe of the Tmax films.
I tell people any developer is ok but fix by inspection is necessary or refix when you think you have Bromide drag.
And use HCA and over wash.

12-29-2015, 11:15 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There is only a nats whisker between ID11 and D76.
-- ID-11 D76 Variants --
Grain is so subjective 16x20 blind on different subjects might be difficult, but I accept I'm biased as I like grain.
Tmax and Microphen are not worlds apart either and will soften the toe of the Tmax films.
I tell people any developer is ok but fix by inspection is necessary or refix when you think you have Bromide drag.
And use HCA and over wash.
Yes only a gnats whisker, unless you're a female gnat attracted to a male gnat that is well whiskered. The difference is subtle and most can't tell in a blind test between Plus-X and FP4+, for example.

Wouldn't it be cool if the next generation of Silver Efex Pro 2 not only included the simulated tonal responses of various B&W films, but also developers with customization for temperatures, etc? I find that software extremely helpful in deciding what film I may want to use on my next subject...mostly the tonal range responses as the grain structures are distinctive.
12-29-2015, 03:32 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
What RF did you get?

How does rollei compare to hie? I have been using the hie and IR ektachrome I have stored in the freezer. I don't know if I can get the IR ektachrome processed any more.
I got a Petri racer. Decent camera, super annoying to load.

I've never tried HIE, before my time sadly!
12-29-2015, 06:25 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I got a Petri racer. Decent camera, super annoying to load.

I've never tried HIE, before my time sadly!
Fixed 45mm lens? Funky shutter button? Is it easy enough for IR?