Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2016, 04:37 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
You only need to be vain?
Or a primate with longer arms in proportion for better perspective?

But I've known cameras hang up when the self timer fails - my SPs have been ok so far, and my K1000 are immune, each feature is a failure mode waiting to happen.

The market says K1000 are better cameras there are more of them about and they cost more, supply and demand?
You have some strong opinions. K1000's go for $50 used around here if you wait for them.

04-11-2016, 05:14 AM   #62

Supply and demand netted me GBP25 (US$40?) for a Polaroid - I somehow doubt it's a better camera than a £10 Pentax MV.

It is all getting a bit, erm, robust at times this, isn't it?
04-11-2016, 05:59 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Your Kx one was unreliable?
No. My father has had my KX trouble free for a year or two now. Been meaning to pick up an autoknips for a fair number of my older cams that don't have a timer. This entire thread reminded me to finally do it.
04-11-2016, 06:39 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
No. My father has had my KX trouble free for a year or two now. Been meaning to pick up an autoknips for a fair number of my older cams that don't have a timer. This entire thread reminded me to finally do it.
If you need a self timer for low vibration release then you need a SLR that flips the mirror at release then runs timer and takes the shot later when the mirror vibration has died away.

Some do...

04-11-2016, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Woah! What are those self timer triggers called? I would LOVE to get one for my 645 and K1000!

Edit - found them http://www.ebay.com/sch/Remotes-Shutter-Releases-/64345/i.html?_nkw=self-timer
04-11-2016, 11:18 AM - 2 Likes   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The main problem with K1000's is the variation in versions over its long production run.

The MIJ first ones were as well built as a KM and are good "featureless" cameras. (Though I still don't like them very much)
The build quality went down hill fast to the end MIC ones, that were mostly plastic junk.

When you see a K1000 for sale they are mostly all lumped together price wise, unless you can see which version you are getting in the online ad I would avoid buying one altogether.

So in the end get a KM or KX, only one MIJ version existed.

Phil.
04-12-2016, 12:53 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The main problem with K1000's is the variation in versions over its long production run.

The MIJ first ones were as well built as a KM and are good "featureless" cameras. (Though I still don't like them very much)
The build quality went down hill fast to the end MIC ones, that were mostly plastic junk.

When you see a K1000 for sale they are mostly all lumped together price wise, unless you can see which version you are getting in the online ad I would avoid buying one altogether.

So in the end get a KM or KX, only one MIJ version existed.

Phil.
The OP wanted advice on buying a film camera...

Always inspect physically is the golden rule...
I've only seen one MIJ K1000 and it was not worth buying,...
Both mine are MIC they both suffer from stiff wind on but have otherwise been reliable and have seen physical abuse.

I prefer using an unmetered M42 but they are less prevelant.

04-12-2016, 01:35 AM   #68
Veteran Member

A little window into the inflated price and popularity of the K1000, as told by the up-to-date used inventory price list at a shop nearby to me...
  • PENTAX - ESPIO 95S CAMERA $49 3866xxx
  • PENTAX - IQ Zoom 120 mi CAMERA $99 3680xxx
  • PENTAX - IQ ZOOM 140, POINT AND SHOOT CAMERA $39 3550xxx
  • PENTAX - K1000 CAMERA $189 8188xxx
  • PENTAX - K-1000 CAMERA $189 6233xxx
  • PENTAX - K-1000 CAMERA $ 7006xxx
  • PENTAX - K-1000 CAMERA $189 7712xxx
  • PENTAX - K-1000 CAMERA $189 6536xxx
  • PENTAX - K-1000 CAMERA $189 6228xxx
  • PENTAX - ME CAMERA $ 1114xxx
  • PENTAX - ME Super CAMERA $169 3461xxx
  • PENTAX - MX CAMERA $159 9237xxx
  • PENTAX - PENTAX K 1000 CAMERA $200 6264xxx
  • PENTAX - PENTAX ME SUPER CAMERA $159 2003xxx
  • PENTAX - PENTAX ME SUPER 35MM FILM SLR CAMERA $129 3760xxx
  • PENTAX - PENTAX ME SUPER W/ 35-70MM F3.5-4.8 CAMERA $169 3831xxx
  • PENTAX - PROGRAM PLUS CAMERA $149 1602xxx
  • PENTAX - Spotmatic SP CAMERA $169 2802xxx
  • PENTAX - Super Program CAMERA $149 1117xxx
  • PENTAX - SUPER PROGRAM CAMERA $129 1170xxx
  • PENTAX - ZX-30, WITH 28-70MM LENS CAMERA $69 3428xxx
  • PENTAX - ZX-7 CAMERA $69 3046xxx
  • RICOH - RICOH KR-10se W/ 70-210MM LENS CAMERA $149 5321xxxx

All of these are CLA'd before sale and do not include glass.
04-12-2016, 06:36 AM   #69
Veteran Member

The ME Super would be one to consider for a beginner because it offer both Av & manual. The LEDs are easy to see and understand, the buttons offer quick shutter changes. It does lack DOF, but normally a beginner wouldn't use it anyway. More importantly, they are plentiful and fairly inexpensive.

Some random thoughts having just gone through the search for the right film camera(s)
04-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A little window into the inflated price and popularity of the K1000, as told by the up-to-date used inventory price list at a shop nearby to me...

All of these are CLA'd before sale and do not include glass.
I don't see these as inflated prices for 2016 on a classic camera that is slowly vanishing and has been CLA'd by a retail shop. Like cars or any retail outlet, they do need to pay rent, employees, insurance, utilities, etc, and can't compete price wise with
private party internet sales in which there is much more risk. It also means the original owners that sold those cameras may have gotten a little better deal from the shop as a trade-in or outright sale. If KEH is cheaper, it's because of their volume and their probably offering less credit to the seller.

Whenever there is a steal or deal, it's exactly that, and those retail used prices are fair, not any more inflated than the price of most used items that have been "pre-owned" but cleaned up and tested by a dealership. Wouldn't it be great if there were a Kelley Blue Book for cameras with categories like Used, Trade-in, New, and then you could enter your zip code, actuations/shutter count, condition, special features, etc?
04-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^ Camera Blue Book?

There is!! McKeowns Camera Price Guide
04-12-2016, 11:13 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I don't see these as inflated prices for 2016 on a classic camera that is slowly vanishing and has been CLA'd by a retail shop. Like cars or any retail outlet, they do need to pay rent, employees, insurance, utilities, etc, and can't compete price wise with
private party internet sales in which there is much more risk. It also means the original owners that sold those cameras may have gotten a little better deal from the shop as a trade-in or outright sale. If KEH is cheaper, it's because of their volume and their probably offering less credit to the seller.

Whenever there is a steal or deal, it's exactly that, and those retail used prices are fair, not any more inflated than the price of most used items that have been "pre-owned" but cleaned up and tested by a dealership. Wouldn't it be great if there were a Kelley Blue Book for cameras with categories like Used, Trade-in, New, and then you could enter your zip code, actuations/shutter count, condition, special features, etc?
You misunderstand me. I fully appreciate and expect the mark-up over "private sale" pricing. (These guys do pretty good work and stand behind each camera they service and sell.)
I was merely pointing out the number of K1000 bodies available and the higher price they command over EVERY other Pentax body in the inventory.
04-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
The ME Super would be one to consider for a beginner because it offer both Av & manual. The LEDs are easy to see and understand, the buttons offer quick shutter changes. It does lack DOF, but normally a beginner wouldn't use it anyway. More importantly, they are plentiful and fairly inexpensive.

Some random thoughts having just gone through the search for the right film camera(s)
I disagree with you. You point to exactly the two things I didn't like with my ME Super. The buttons made changing shutter speed a fiddly operation. I really regretted that it didn't have a wheel instead, and usually chose to use the auto mode.

The other thing I missed, especially when I was a beginner, was the DOF preview. IMO the possibility to see what changing the aperture is doing with the DOF is more important for a beginner than for a more experienced photographer.

It was pure coincidence that I happened to buy a Pentax ME Super. I just found it on a shelf along with other used equipment in a camera store back in 1990 or something. I knew nothing about Pentax or any other camera maker back then, and was lucky that I found a quality camera, and not happebed to buy a piece of junk.

If I'd had the opportunities that the internet is giving me with searching around the world for the best alternative, I'd probably go for a KX or KM, like some here have recommended.
04-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
I disagree with you. You point to exactly the two things I didn't like with my ME Super. The buttons made changing shutter speed a fiddly operation. I really regretted that it didn't have a wheel instead, and usually chose to use the auto mode. The other thing I missed, especially when I was a beginner, was the DOF preview. IMO the possibility to see what changing the aperture is doing with the DOF is more important for a beginner than for a more experienced photographer. It was pure coincidence that I happened to buy a Pentax ME Super. I just found it on a shelf along with other used equipment in a camera store back in 1990 or something. I knew nothing about Pentax or any other camera maker back then, and was lucky that I found a quality camera, and not happebed to buy a piece of junk. If I'd had the opportunities that the internet is giving me with searching around the world for the best alternative, I'd probably go for a KX or KM, like some here have recommended.

My thoughts were based on from recently wanting to get back into film, knowing little about Pentax SLR's and searching for the one that fit my style. Starting with a KX in Dec, then 2 MXs and recently a ME Super & Super Program. The KX and a MX needed to be overhauled, the prism was cracked in the KX. So have way more into them than their worth. The others just needed CLA, seals/bumper replaced. So the problem with suggesting a KX is finding one in decent shape or parts to have it repaired and keep in mind there wasn't a lot of KX's made compared to the later M series cameras. I got lucky that Advanced Camera had the parts and a great tech to repair it.
I agree, the KX is a fine camera, but maybe not something a beginner wants to spend the money and time acquiring - the reason for my suggest. The ME Super seems easier to find, considerably less expensive and usually in working condition just needing the light seals & mirror bumper replaced. DOF is a good feature, but not necessary for good photos.

FWIW, my favorite right now is the ME Super & FA43......to each his own

I'm no expert, but again just my thoughts on trying to find the one to learn with......
04-12-2016, 04:19 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You misunderstand me. I fully appreciate and expect the mark-up over "private sale" pricing. (These guys do pretty good work and stand behind each camera they service and sell.)
I was merely pointing out the number of K1000 bodies available and the higher price they command over EVERY other Pentax body in the inventory.
I see...yes, I agree with you. Back in the day, the K1000 was my go to camera whenever roughing it in the desert, mountains, etc. I over-reacted to the word "inflated" (prices).