Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Puncture Holes in Film

I recently backed out a roll of film from a body I was not using. It was on "1," and so I figured I would just rewind it and load it into another body. I rewound too far, and had to have someone at the camera shop pull out the leader for me. They use a machine to do this (as I gather most labs do) and it left a few puncture holes on the leader of the film (toward the middle of the frame). This morning, I loaded this film into one of my manual bodies. It loaded normally. However, will the puncture holes cause any problems (i.e. when rewinding, etc.), or will it be okay? Also, can the shutter (or something else) be damaged by the holes? If necessary, I can just rewind the film, and dispose of it.

Thanks,
Glen

06-29-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
Inactive Account

As long as the puncture's edges aren't protruding in any way, it should be fine.
06-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just rewound again, and checked the puncture holes. It looks like it is one hole with some scratches around it. The hole protrudes slightly. I think I may just chuck this roll of film--better safe than sorry. Though, I checked the the shutter, pressure plate, etc., and all looks good...just the two minor marks on the plate that there already there.

Thanks,
Glen
06-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Puncture should be on the inside of the film as it winds, so the edges won't come in contact with the rest of the film as it is wound around the spool.

06-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
I think I may just chuck this roll of film--better safe than sorry.
You shouldn't have to chuck the whole roll. Just cut off the leader part with the punctures, it makes the roll 1 or 2 frames shorter that's all.
06-29-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Keep the roll as it can be handy to have one to test the winding mechanism of any old cameras you may pick up in the future.