Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2016, 06:27 PM   #121
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
How did you already get tomorrow's edition?

03-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And then there is the thrill and satisfaction of getting it right, with a 4x5 speed graphic and paper, not film negative.

04-01-2016, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #123
Forum Member

Hopefully this will be readable...
Attached Images

04-06-2016, 12:28 AM - 2 Likes   #124

Original Poster
Although a self-professed minimalist, I'm finding it really challenging not to buy more gear than I actually need.

On one hand, I love the idea of using only a single body and lens in order to allow the tactile element of the craft to reach the point of automaticity. I find that when I'm constantly switching bodies or lenses there's always that settling in period before it becomes second nature.

On the other hand, there's a part of me which wants to branch out and experiment with various focal lengths and camera bodies to find something ergonomically perfect for my hands, and also to expand my horizons. But admittedly, part of it is hedonistic 'GAS'.

In the process of buying and trying almost every 35mm Pentax body from the 1957 AP to the K2 DMD, I came to realise a couple of things:

1. Automatic Exposure is not for me. Photography is all about capturing light, and the decision of how much light to capture should be left up to my own judgement, not electronics.

2. Light meters get in the way of the 'decisive moment'. For me, it's really important to shoot intuitively, which means to be immersed in the moment. I find that moving needles, aperture windows or flashing lights in the viewfinder distract me from the task at hand. All I need to see is the framing and the focus, and that's all my '58 K gives me.

So this whole process of experimentation has brought me full circle, but with a renewed awareness of my craft. It reminds me of that great quote by T.S Eliot, "We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

04-06-2016, 01:21 AM   #125
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RR84 Quote
Although a self-professed minimalist, I'm finding it really challenging not to buy more gear than I actually need.

On one hand, I love the idea of using only a single body and lens in order to allow the tactile element of the craft to reach the point of automaticity. I find that when I'm constantly switching bodies or lenses there's always that settling in period before it becomes second nature.

On the other hand, there's a part of me which wants to branch out and experiment with various focal lengths and camera bodies to find something ergonomically perfect for my hands, and also to expand my horizons. But admittedly, part of it is hedonistic 'GAS'.

In the process of buying and trying almost every 35mm Pentax body from the 1957 AP to the K2 DMD, I came to realise a couple of things:

1. Automatic Exposure is not for me. Photography is all about capturing light, and the decision of how much light to capture should be left up to my own judgement, not electronics.

2. Light meters get in the way of the 'decisive moment'. For me, it's really important to shoot intuitively, which means to be immersed in the moment. I find that moving needles, aperture windows or flashing lights in the viewfinder distract me from the task at hand. All I need to see is the framing and the focus, and that's all my '58 K gives me.

So this whole process of experimentation has brought me full circle, but with a renewed awareness of my craft. It reminds me of that great quote by T.S Eliot, "We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
Well sir, I cannot recall reading anything as well put as your comprehensive commentary. Thank you very much, I could not have said it better myself. Your vocabulary is, well, "Most Impressive."

Adios,

Tony
04-06-2016, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #126
Veteran Member

Maybe we need's threads with a title like 'why are you still using a D camera?'

Posted on the other forums?
04-06-2016, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #127

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Well sir, I cannot recall reading anything as well put as your comprehensive commentary. Thank you very much, I could not have said it better myself. Your vocabulary is, well, "Most Impressive."
Thank you Tony for the kind words.

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote

Somehow I doubt it would be well received. They're a sensitive bunch.

Last edited by RR84; 04-06-2016 at 04:52 AM.
04-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Somehow I doubt it would be well received. They're a sensitive bunch.
Ok maybe but then a query of how many of them are using eg Auto Takumars (on adapters) for the single coated signature, pastel colours or adaptive compression.

Cause I do that on E6, C41 and mono, a lot of the time...

Are we disinterested in what they do?

Normally people giggle at my film cameras...

04-06-2016, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #129
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote

I confess...I still use a D camera because I am weak and crave immediate reward...

Steve
04-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I confess...I still use a D camera because I am weak and crave immediate reward...
Such lack of artistic integrity, Steve.
04-06-2016, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #131
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Such lack of artistic integrity, Steve.
Mea culpa! Mea culpa! Mea maxima culpa!

Steve
04-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #132
Pentaxian

It depends on the camera.
I agree the Pentax MX puts the meter too "in your face"; for me it interferes in composition.

But my Nikon F Photomic FTn meter readout was small and shifted far outside the viewing area.
I could consult it if desired or easily ignore it, the ideal arrangement IMO.

The photographers focusing screen is much like the artists canvas, and ideally should be free of distractions.

Chris
04-06-2016, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #133
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
It depends on the camera.
I agree the Pentax MX puts the meter too "in your face"; for me it interferes in composition.

But my Nikon F Photomic FTn meter readout was small and shifted far outside the viewing area.
I could consult it if desired or easily ignore it, the ideal arrangement IMO.

The photographers focusing screen is much like the artists canvas, and ideally should be free of distractions.

Chris
Personally, I welcome the KX blue flag in my peripheral vision, and when the black needle lines up. It isn't really in my way, I don't need to adjust until the light changes, and if I do want to check the exposure it's just a flick of my eye to the right. The little needle in the lower margin of the DP-1 VF on my F2a must be deliberately looked down toward.

By contrast, there's so much going on in the K-3 viewfinder that it feels like flying a drone copter.
04-07-2016, 03:31 AM   #134
Veteran Member

All I need to see is the framing and the focus, and that's all my '58 K gives me.
..."[/I]
Most of my shots are with a wide, prefocused at the typical distance between people, instinctive point, if you use the finder you get a different shot.

But I'd like my S1a back sold it in '76... Waaaaaah
04-07-2016, 07:51 AM   #135
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Personally, I welcome the KX blue flag in my peripheral vision, and when the black needle lines up.
Yep still my all time favourite, blinking lights in newer models can be annoying!

Phil.