Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 76 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
6x6 slides even E6 are superlative when projected.

70mm cine theatres must be good too.
At the other end of the size scale, I did start off shooting Kodachrome 126 with my Instamatic.

Phil.

01-13-2016, 12:36 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
All the Super8 stocks are transparency/slide films, not negatives, and are E-6 processed. Color neg stock starts with 16mm and up.
Sorry, that's not been true for quite a few years.

The only transparency Super 8 for projection is Tri-x black and white. All the colour stocks are negative. E6 Super 8 went away with all the rest of Kodak's E6 portfolio. Colour negative Super 8 is intended to be scanned, as an origination medium.

Super 8mm Products | Motion Picture Film

As for who shoots Super 8 ... it's film students, it's artists working in motion picture, and it's professional shooters seeking a different look (music videos, clips for use in documentaries or dramatic films that were shot on other formats.) Kodak's goal is to ensure there is an accessible format available for all of the above users, building a constituency of shooters who are familiar with film and understand the process.

Super 8mm Filmmaking Intensive | Liaison of Independent Filmmakers of Toronto

-- correction -- it looks like Wittner still offers a reversal colour film, based on Agfachrome
01-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You're right, I stand corrected. Plus-X, Adox and Fomapan are also available as reversal stock.
01-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
At the other end of the size scale, I did start off shooting Kodachrome 126 with my Instamatic.

Phil.
I've got some kchrome 25 slides from 110 cameras.

01-13-2016, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When someone finally markets an affordable large sensor digital that is truly as simple to operate as a classic manual 35mm film camera I'm in.
Until then I'll stick exclusively to film.

Chris
01-13-2016, 06:16 PM - 2 Likes   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
When someone finally markets an affordable large sensor digital that is truly as simple to operate as a classic manual 35mm film camera I'm in.
Until then I'll stick exclusively to film.

Chris
I agree. Although you can get a Nikon Df refurbished for under $2300, I wish Nikon (or Pentax) would come out with a FM2 or LX equivalent for under $500. I like analog style dials and aperture rings, and I think there would be a huge market for this type of retro interface. I say Nikon and Pentax only because all my lenses mount them.
01-13-2016, 09:25 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree. Although you can get a Nikon Df refurbished for under $2300, I wish Nikon (or Pentax) would come out with a FM2 or LX equivalent for under $500. I like analog style dials and aperture rings, and I think there would be a huge market for this type of retro interface. I say Nikon and Pentax only because all my lenses mount them.
I agree with you. The Fuji XT-1 has a great set of dials - it's similar to my Pentax ZX-5N, which is the most efficient interface I've ever used. I'd buy a full-frame digital ZX-5N-type camera, even if autofocus and the sensor were not of the latest generation - those things aren't the most important to me.

A lot of people think we're stupid for wanting such cameras, though.

01-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
I've got some kchrome 25 slides from 110 cameras.
Oh my that's about half the frame size of a 126 slide!

How was your 110 camera's meter for various lighting conditions? My Instamatic under exposed a lot if the lighting was not even throughout the shot.

Phil.
01-14-2016, 10:53 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Oh my that's about half the frame size of a 126 slide!

How was your 110 camera's meter for various lighting conditions? My Instamatic under exposed a lot if the lighting was not even throughout the shot.

Phil.
HiPhil

I used two

Rolli A110
Minolta mk1 zoom

The meters on both were ok for Kchrome 25, I think, as this was 1971 summer hols.

Noel
01-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I still shoot my 645 now and then. I like the FOV, makes lenses seem wider than on the 645D and Tri-X or Velvia are fun to shoot with.
I mostly shoot digital but I like film now and then for variety and for the look.
01-15-2016, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish Nikon (or Pentax) would come out with a FM2 or LX equivalent for under $500. I like analog style dials and aperture rings, and I think there would be a huge market for this type of retro interface
I've agreed with this kind of opinion before. I also think there is a place for an analog controlled (preferably like LX) digital backed camera; using K-mount of course.
01-17-2016, 10:11 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
I've agreed with this kind of opinion before. I also think there is a place for an analog controlled (preferably like LX) digital backed camera; using K-mount of course.
Leica did a digital back the DMR
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leica_R8-R9
01-25-2016, 09:16 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great info Xmas, thanks for posting. I was not aware of that one. However, I have to continue to wish -now a camera of this type for which I can afford some lenses.
01-26-2016, 02:57 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RR84 Quote
In an age where photography has become so automated and convenient, why do you still choose to shoot fully manual vs AE, AF cameras? Is it nostalgia, an unwillingness to adapt to newer technologies, or perhaps something deeper than that?

If so, please mention which manual Pentax body if your preferred weapon of choice and why (SV, SP, KX, MX etc).
I mis read your post, sorry:
I take photos with a wide at 2m or less instinctive point prefocused, preset shutter speed and aperture, don't really need the delay of a SLR but can tolerate, don't want an auto focus somewhere else.
Yes I could use an auto focus lock camera and tolerated more delay but it is simpler using a simple camera: K1000.

I do have a Nikon F3 but only use it in manual.

Sometimes more is less.

Eg DX code reading is ok until your film manufacturer stops it... as Foma is rumoured.
01-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shoot film manual

I travelled around the world about two dozen times with a Sears version of something like the K1000 or Ricoh equivalent using mainly 50mm f 1.4 lens, Sears brand. I shot entirely manual because that was the only choice. There was either no light meter, or it was not working--cannot remember which. I just used sunny 16 and learned how much to back down for darker environments. I hardly ever totally missed a shot although there were occasional over/under exposures, but generally no more than 1-2 stops. When you shoot this way, you get used to relying upon your own instincts. Today's cameras, film or digital, have huge amounts of technology available, and I use it, but sometimes I wonder how necessary all of it is. I still use my MZ-S in manual mode, and of course it has a built in light meter which is a great help. I find that I get addicted to the technology, and that I am less willing to trust to my own instincts. I will say that using a manual camera with no light meter assistance, entirely in manual mode, works better if you are using your camera quite regularly.