Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2016, 08:05 AM   #91
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dkevin Quote
Nah..you haven't lost me yet..although a few of the side-roads have left me dizzy and disoriented. I have gotten a few good ideas from the answers provided. I am gonna try them out and see where my future of photography lies. I did enjoy the way my K-1000 made me slow down and see the world around me. I am too easily absorbed into the hectic flow of daily life...taking pictures (especially with an all-manual camera) makes me stop and see the small things I usually miss. I am grateful for all your input and will continue to check in to see where the thread wanders from here.
Ah so, gwasshoppa!

Seriously, it is wonderful to see the world with new eyes, isn't it? No money, no skills, no nothing required except intention.

It's one of the reasons I went back to film for fun and challenge. Every frame cost money and inconvenience. I noted earlier about the dilution of value of images since the digital revolution. It isn't just the sheer number of them, but also how we approach every possible situation. Think it through or just shoot a burst, something will come out right, right? If not, we can correct them in PS.

My second SLR was a Vivitar, I think it was a rebranded K-1000.

01-17-2016, 10:12 AM   #92
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
next month I'm going to fly 8,000 miles roundtrip to Winnipeg, Manitoba
Winterpeg in February?

It was -35C (-31F) windchill a couple days ago, hope you have a good pair of long-johns!

http://mytoba.ca/news/cold-cold-and-more-cold-in-winnipeg-forecast/

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 01-17-2016 at 10:29 AM. Reason: added link
01-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #93
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Winterpeg in February?

It was -35C (-31F) windchill a couple days ago, hope you have a good pair of long-johns!

Extreme cold warning for Winnipeg - MyToba.ca

Phil.
Yeah, I won't be going to Manitoba for the weather, although I envy shots I've seen there of everything from the Northern Lights, sun dogs, and polar bears. My daughter just finished her BFA degree from Emily Carr University of Art & Design and although she considered BC cold, the rest of Canada considers Vancouverites as the lucky ones. Coming from Hawaii, I always find the flights freezing cold, so I won't be wearing my shorts, slippers, and t-shirt.

Last edited by Alex645; 01-17-2016 at 02:30 PM.
01-17-2016, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dkevin Quote
I am re-entering the world of 35mm and I need some recommendations for 35mm film (brand and speed). I have K1000 cameras and am taking most (if not all) of my photos outside in the less-than-sunny beautiful Northwest US. I am trying to learn how to scan and edit my own pictures. So, I guess my question is, what brand of film do you prefer for shooting? I probably will not enlarge the pictures beyond 8x10. I don't know if I have provided enough information in order to allow suggestions to be made...if not, let me know what I have left out and I will fill in the blanks...Thanks for your help!
The Kodak Portra lineup available in 160, 400 & 800 speeds are very versatile and offer huge latitude for exposure. Feel free to err on the overexposure side and you should not have any issues of getting very good results.

Larger version -> Kodak Portra 400 latitude

In practical application, below is a particularly wide exposure range of light in one frame. In post processing, you can get useful details in both under and over exposed areas.

Larger version -> Kodak Portra 400

Given your small print target, you can use even the grainiest films and just post process to your taste. Below are some examples of different films that I have used.

Larger version -> Kodak Portra 160

Larger version -> Kodak Portra 400

Larger version -> kodak Portra 800

High ISO Fuji Press 1600 with and without grain reduction in post.

Larger version -> Fuji Press 1600

If you want a fine film, there is Kodak Ektar 100.

Larger version -> Kodak Ektar 100

There is the superfine Velvia.

Larger version -> Fuji RVP

And of course you can perform some typical post effects like stitching.

Larger version -> 4 frame stitch Kodak Ektar 100

01-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #95
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
My daughter just finished her BFA degree from Emily Carr University of Art & Design
Excellent place for photography courses, I've take a few courses their myself just to use the large dark room!

ECUAD is moving next year to a new location a couple KM to the east, so hopefully they keep their great dark room.

Phil.
01-18-2016, 06:27 PM   #96
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
There is the superfine Velvia.
Marvelous result!
01-18-2016, 09:30 PM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Marvelous result!
Thanks!

That shot convinced me of the phenomenally high resolving qualities of the Pentax M 50mm f4 macro lens.