Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
k1000 - light meter stuck on +

Hey, just dusted off this k1000 that i bought 6 years ago, and the first thing i did

was change the battery because the light meter was stuck in the middle.... Once i

changed the battery the light meter seemed to work normally. But now it seems to

always be stuck in the + position in the top part of the camera... every once in

while it will adjust when i change the aperture/shutter speed. and some times it

will move after ive taken the shot.... but for the most part it just stays in the top +

position. anyone else ever had this happen, i was thinking maybe the light sensor in

front might get dirty... i dont know i tried wiping it off but no result..

any help would be appreciated

06-30-2008, 10:52 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Try moving the ISO dial from minimum to maximum ISO several times, and then move the stop down coupler (it's part of the lens mount) through it's full range of movement several times as well. Do it briskly, as the idea is to clean off any corrosion that might be on thise components.

See: Features and Operation of the Original K-Mount for a guide to the stop down coupler's location.
06-30-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Try moving the ISO dial from minimum to maximum ISO several times, and then move the stop down coupler (it's part of the lens mount) through it's full range of movement several times as well. Do it briskly, as the idea is to clean off any corrosion that might be on thise components.

See: Features and Operation of the Original K-Mount for a guide to the stop down coupler's location.
thanks a lot for this wheatfield, i think it works now.... thats awesome... i didnt now this camera had that function.... appreciate the help...
07-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hand held light meter replace internal?

Actually the meter is still jacked up..

Hey this question goes out to anyone. I went out and bought a Sekonic digital light meter... could this be used instead of the internal light meter?

if so, is there a thread with a tutorial on using a light meter outside. Because i have not found one on this board and online, ive only found tutorials on studio usage.

-ripper

07-09-2008, 05:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The camera has full manual settings for both shutter and aperture, so you can certainly use it with the internal light meter in a non-functional condition.

I have a Sekonic L-208 light meter that I use with my cameras which don't have their own meters.

On sunshiny days and with color negative film, you can use the "Sunny 16" rule of thumb and skip the use of a light meter altogether.
07-09-2008, 05:54 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The camera has full manual settings for both shutter and aperture, so you can certainly use it with the internal light meter in a non-functional condition.

I have a Sekonic L-208 light meter that I use with my cameras which don't have their own meters.

On sunshiny days and with color negative film, you can use the "Sunny 16" rule of thumb and skip the use of a light meter altogether.
cool thanks.
07-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mike, What is the "Sunny 16" rule?

07-10-2008, 07:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Sunny 16 rule
07-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
Inactive Account

The light meter circuit in the K1000 is a balanced bridge system. There are two light sensors and two variable resistors. One resistor is coupled to the shutter speed/ ISO speed control, the other is coupled to the lens opening. There are two reasons the meter will 'peg'. One is that one of variable resistors has some corrision on its wiper contact. Moving that wiper back and forth will sometimes wear off the corrision. The second reason the meter pegs is because you have selected a ISO film speed / shutter combination that is not in the circuit's range. Selecting a ISO 3200 film and 1 second shutter will kill the metering circuit, as an example. There's nothing wrong with the camera. The light meter just doesn't cover all possible combinations.
Dave....
07-19-2008, 11:51 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgmaley Quote
The light meter circuit in the K1000 is a balanced bridge system. There are two light sensors and two variable resistors. One resistor is coupled to the shutter speed/ ISO speed control, the other is coupled to the lens opening. There are two reasons the meter will 'peg'. One is that one of variable resistors has some corrision on its wiper contact. Moving that wiper back and forth will sometimes wear off the corrision. The second reason the meter pegs is because you have selected a ISO film speed / shutter combination that is not in the circuit's range. Selecting a ISO 3200 film and 1 second shutter will kill the metering circuit, as an example. There's nothing wrong with the camera. The light meter just doesn't cover all possible combinations.
Dave....
thanks for the info, probably the first reason you mentioned in my case. Ive been using iso 400 film. so i guess ill try to move that wiper back and forth. just got to find it first. thanks again for this info.
09-20-2016, 06:11 AM   #11

Light meter stuck + position.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? I am pretty good with fixing cameras but i never attempted to fix pentax k1000 light meters. I have one that the meter is stuck on + position and I have 2 bodies that the metering is just super off (it does not move when i change ISO or aperture. Thank you
Any help? thank you
10-22-2016, 10:51 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by 2ipper Quote
Hey, just dusted off this k1000 that i bought 6 years ago, and the first thing i did

was change the battery because the light meter was stuck in the middle.... Once i

changed the battery the light meter seemed to work normally. But now it seems to

always be stuck in the + position in the top part of the camera... every once in

while it will adjust when i change the aperture/shutter speed. and some times it

will move after ive taken the shot.... but for the most part it just stays in the top +

position. anyone else ever had this happen, i was thinking maybe the light sensor in

front might get dirty... i dont know i tried wiping it off but no result..

any help would be appreciated
I have this same problem on my pentax k5... Have you fixed yours yet?
01-04-2017, 07:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Strip to axcess easier variable resistor, flood with electrical contact cleaner note not WD40!
Operate variable mechanism to each end of range blow our fluid with air can or blower bulb leave to dry out then try meter you may need to do each variable resistor, several times, be patient.

There are maintenance manuals and circuit diagrm available on web.

Cause I use only mono I use sunny side/16 or Weston meter.