Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #16
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll try to pull one apart and get you that picture this afternoon....

03-18-2016, 05:45 AM   #17

Original Poster
Cool, I'd be shooting in the dark (ahem) with mine so would be good to see some pix.
03-18-2016, 06:39 AM   #18
Marketplace Reseller

Pics taken. Will post them later today when I do my next pic dump from my camera.
03-18-2016, 10:29 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Marketplace Reseller

OK, so here are a few pics taken to show you the switch that goes bad, frequently causing the X-Sync problem.

In order to get to the switch, first peel off the tiny black plastic cover on the front of the self-timer. A very tiny screwdriver or spudger might help with this.

Underneath the cover is a standard-direction JIS type screw. Remove the screw and the timer handle will pop right off. This is the only component you need to remove to get the leatherettes off.

Peel both the left and right leatherettes off. They are pretty easy to remove, especially if you start from one of the outer corners.

Once you've peeled them off, you will see 2 screws on either side of the front plate. Remove all 4.

Now you are ready to access the camera innards. Remove the front plate by tilting the bottom forward and gently pulling out.

Be careful of the brown and yellow metering wires which stay attached at at the top. If you are handy with a solder pen, you can desolder them, but if you decide to keep them attached, be very careful not to break the wires as you work on the interior.

Underneath the screw points, you will see 4 copper washers. I advise removing them prior to going any further, since they can fall into the body and become difficult to retrieve.

All right, so now we have access to the X sync switch. It's this little guy in the upper left corner. The way it works is the shutter mechanism flicks a little post behind the back half of the switch against it, causing it to close the circuit and fire the flash. Tarnish on this switch is what usually causes the X sync to stop working.

The switch is held in by two small JIS screws facing the top of the camera:

If you remove these, you can carefully maneuver the switch out of the body:

Carefully polish both interior surfaces of the switch with some fine grained sandpaper. Be careful not to enlarge the gap between the sides of the switch. Most of the time, this will fix the x-sync problem. If it doesn't, there is likely a fault somewhere else in the wiring.

Some tips on reassembly:

1. It helps to put a small dab of grease on the washers to keep them from falling in when you are re-seating them. I recommend using tweezers unless you have exceptionally small fingers

2. The self timer detaches with the front plate and can be a bit fiddly to get seated properly. I recommend testing the timer before replacing the leatherette, or you might end up just having to peel it right back off again.

3. I find it easiest to get the top of the front plate slid back under the top plate first and gently rock it downward back into place.

4. Avoid pinching the metering wires with the plate when you reassemble.

Last edited by dcshooter; 03-24-2016 at 05:44 AM. Reason: typos
03-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #20

YES!
Now both x-syncs work!
Thanks alot dcshooter !

-skebat