Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

*ist?

anyone have an *ist film camera? how do you like it? are they fairly well built, rugged enough for professional use?

07-02-2008, 05:04 AM   #2
DAP

Never owned one, but for what it is worth I can tell you that the *ist was kind of a stripped down (crippled lens mount) entry level model when it was first introduced (kind of the Pentax version of the rebel) - it was definately not marketed as a Pro camera. That being said I'm sure the photos that the camera takes will be just as good as from any Pro camera.

If you are looking for a durable camera for professional use you might want to check out the MZ-S or PZ-1p
07-02-2008, 05:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the ist and enjoy the camera. Very small, nicely built and a good set of features. It is the crippled mount but far from an entry level camera. It's not a Pro model so for rugged use and long life, you should choose one of the many Pentax Pro bodies.
07-03-2008, 05:32 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an *ist and it is a mid-range model.

It does have the so-called 'crippled-K mount' but it will work fine with all lenses that have an A setting or the FA-J lenses.

From what I know of it, the design of this model was used as the basis for the Digital *ist bodies. The layout of the camera camera controls are exactly the same excepting the back (no digital preview of course) and the AF and metering systems are the same.

I've used the *ist a number of times and it was my main Pentax AF body before I moved to the MZ-S and Z-1. I can definitely back up the comments by DAP and say that these two models are pretty much the best that Pentax has to offer for AF bodies.

With decent lenses the *ist will not disappoint you. I've used mine a few times with the Sigma 50-500 'Bigma' and have always had cracking shots. To me, the metering has always been spot on as has the AF.

If you get one, please replace the crummy FA-J lens that is supplied with it as it's junk. It lets the camera down.

BTW, this model is tiny. I've found it to be too small even for my small hands. I use it with the BG-20? grip and its a bit better. However, if you want a small camera add in a DA-40 and your set for a fantastic pocket P&S with all the facilities that an SLR can offer you.

Last edited by Trawlerman; 07-03-2008 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Additonal
07-03-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i'm really contemplating getting one of these.. hmm...
07-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one and I love it. I use my DA 40mm with my *ist 35mm for a super small SLR combo. The camera body is TINY. It's smaller than the *ist DL/K100D.

It also has a few conveniences that I don't get on my K100D (but are present on the K10D/K20D) like the focus area dial. Since the digital body layouts are so similar to it, I didn't have any trouble with the interface.

My biggest complaints about it are that it has a crippled mount and it doesn't support stop down metering at all. Also, the shutter is pretty loud on it.
07-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
haha, i'm used to a very loud shutter, Igowerf. if you've ever used a minolta, you'll know what i'm talking about.

how much smaller than the k100d would you say it is? uncomfortably smaller? or just slightly noticeably smaller? i see that it's really light, compared to what i have now, which is fairly nice.. but i'm afraid that it's achieved by using a subpar chassis..

07-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've attached four shots in comparison to my *ist DL. The first two shots are just the camera bodies and the second shot has the *ist 35mm with the BG-20 grip.

Without the grip, the *ist 35mm is probably too small for people with large hands. It's manageable without the grip, but with the grip, it feels just about perfect for me.
Attached Images

07-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
awesome, your shots have sealed the deal.. i am now looking for a reasonably priced *ist to replace my minolta!