Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2016, 04:47 PM - 3 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
First Film photos

I'm late to the game having shot digital for quite a while. I purchased my first film camera this year and here are a few shots from my first roll. All shots taken with the S-M-C Takumar 35mm f/3.5. Shot on Fujifilm 200 film, processed and scanned by Walgreens.

Initial thoughts:
-IQ is surprisingly good and film does have a look that is slightly different from digital
-I really enjoy the feel of shooting with a film camera
-colors need a little bit of tweaking in shadow areas (this may have more to do with the particular film)
-the Tak 35 is a really nice lens, especially for the money.

[c][/c]

[c][/c]

[c][/c]

[c][/c]

[c][/c]

01-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm in my late 30's and my only experience with film is using a few P&S cameras from time to time when I was younger, so I've also been curious about dabbling in film. Thanks for sharing your experience! You're right, the pictures definitely have a different look. It would have been kind of cool if you had taken your DSLR along and done back-to-back comparison shots to really illustrate the difference.

So between paying for film and development/print costs, what does it cost you each time you click the shutter?
01-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I'm in my late 30's and my only experience with film is using a few P&S cameras from time to time when I was younger, so I've also been curious about dabbling in film. Thanks for sharing your experience! You're right, the pictures definitely have a different look. It would have been kind of cool if you had taken your DSLR along and done back-to-back comparison shots to really illustrate the difference.

So between paying for film and development/print costs, what does it cost you each time you click the shutter?
This film is around $3 a roll
Processing was around $13.50

About $1.50 a shot. There are cheaper ways to process, especially if you do your own developing. I haven't tried that yet.
01-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
About $1.50 a shot.
Really !?
This film is around $3 a roll Processing was around $13.50
because from your $3 + $13.50 / per roll I got roughly $0.45 / per shot ( $16.50 / 36 )...

01-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

-colors need a little bit of tweaking in shadow areas (this may have more to do with the particular film)
Congrats.

Don't forget, there is no auto white balance in the camera. Shadows typically have blue cast for a film color balanced for daylight. And if you're picking that up, you would also on a digital camera that's set to a daylight color temperature.
01-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #6

ah i'm super glad someone posted this; I burned through my first 36 in 6 years today. i learnt on film, before progressing onto a k-r (because dev costs were too high and I couldn't dev my own). since then, broke both the k-r and the original k1000, bought a k10d (downgrade) and a spotmatic recently.

the spotmatic plus 55mm tak is everything i ever needed, and apart from the need to overexpose slightly (london winters) everything works as well as a 40 year old camera could.

i'll post some pics tomorrow once I get a cd drive.

btw - film/dev costs in london - found a super cool film shop on tottenham court road that sold me a roll of t-max 400 for a fiver so 7 dollars. dev costs came to 9 quid, so about 13 dollars. 56 cents per shot, or 39 pence. not great, tbh
01-22-2016, 08:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter

If printing I'd adjust, 1 and last seem a little magenta, 2nd and 3rd seem a little blue and magenta, maybe make changes in software for printing. The mini labs just use auto settings hence no attempt to correct colour.
01-23-2016, 05:45 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
If printing I'd adjust, 1 and last seem a little magenta, 2nd and 3rd seem a little blue and magenta, maybe make changes in software for printing. The mini labs just use auto settings hence no attempt to correct colour.
Thanks for the suggestions.

---------- Post added 01-23-2016 at 06:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Really !?

because from your $3 + $13.50 / per roll I got roughly $0.45 / per shot ( $16.50 / 36 )...
There are only 24 shots on this particular film

01-23-2016, 06:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Congrats.

Don't forget, there is no auto white balance in the camera. Shadows typically have blue cast for a film color balanced for daylight. And if you're picking that up, you would also on a digital camera that's set to a daylight color temperature.
So what would people do if they were going in and out of doors? Did the average person actually know enough to buy and use the appropriate filters? My family only used P&S cameras, and I don't remember anything like that.

Like most families, we probably kept a roll of film in the camera, and used it sparingly. So the same roll would probably be used at various times in various lighting conditions. But I don't remember any special consideration being made for outdoor/daytime pictures, vs indoor/night pictures.
01-23-2016, 08:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

But I don't remember any special consideration being made for outdoor/daytime pictures, vs indoor/night pictures.
Perhaps so. I still shoot film but not color very much. I'd say if your scene has a good mix of daylight you won't notice blue in shadows especially in the proximity of mid-day. But if much of the scene is in a shadow, clearly the dominating color temperature is not daylight anymore. And then there is the differences in color films and brands. So it was a generalization.

EDIT:

I'd also note my BW film experience shows evidence of blue in the shadows. If you get into BW film chances are you'll be shooting with colored filters to re-define how the gray scale tones are reproduced on that medium. And a red filter is known for darkening skies (blue) for example. The deeper the blue sky the darker it renders on the film. And shooting with a red filter you'll also notice your shadows get extra deep too suggesting it is also cutting out the shorter wave lengths of blue in the shadows.

Last edited by tuco; 01-23-2016 at 08:53 AM.
01-23-2016, 08:54 AM   #11
Site Supporter

So what would people do if they were going in and out of doors? Did the average person actually know enough to buy and use the appropriate filters? My family only used P&S cameras, and I don't remember anything like that.

Like most families, we probably kept a roll of film in the camera, and used it sparingly. So the same roll would probably be used at various times in various lighting conditions. But I don't remember any special consideration being made for outdoor/daytime pictures, vs indoor/night pictures.
Use a skylight filter at all times and that will solve most "temperature" issues shooting colour film.

Phil.
01-23-2016, 04:29 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Use a skylight filter at all times and that will solve most "temperature" issues shooting colour film.

Phil.
What's the best source for these filters? I've only used b&w filters on digital to avoid degrading image quality.
01-23-2016, 11:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter

What's the best source for these filters? I've only used b&w filters on digital to avoid degrading image quality.
Pentax made some really nice SMC Skylight filters that you can get used for a good price, otherwise get the B&W MRC Skylight (KR 1.5).

KEH or B&H are good place to look as well as eBay.

B+W 52mm Skylight KR-1.5 (1A) MRC Filter 66-073371 B&H Photo

Phil.
01-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for the info Phil