Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2016, 04:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Ilford xp-2 ?

So thinking of shooting film a bit and was thinking of running thru a few rolls of Ilford xp-2. I've used it before...a while ago and like it and the ease of processing.Have a local shop near me. I'm probably going to run it through my spotmatic or a k1000. My question is seeing on how its designed for c41 processing does it still benefit from lens filters like (yellow,green and red) like normal black and white does?

Thanks,
AL

01-24-2016, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes it does...I would recommend dark green for portraits and orange for outdoors.

Y2:

Green:

01-24-2016, 05:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Yes it does...I would recommend dark green for portraits and orange for outdoors.

Y2:

Green:
Thankyou Cuthbert!
01-24-2016, 10:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
XP2+ Super is definitely a panchromatic emulsion, but I have found that it is generally lower contrast than most B&W films. I've found that a yellow #K2, #Y52, or #8 filter will give me a tonal range and contrast more similar to other 400 ISO emulsions without a filter.

I have also found that if you shoot it at ISO 200, the contrast is more similar to other 400 ISO films shot at 400, and going down to ISO 50 produces amazing sharpness and lack of apparent 'grain'.

If you do use an orange or deep red filter, I have found on some cameras that it will tend to underexpose 1-2 EVs and you should compensate. This is also mentioned on page 2 from Ilford's pdf:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/201142711321939.pdf

With all that said, IF you're going to scan it as a TIFF or DNG file and then PP on PS or Nik's Silver Efex Pro 2, then I'd default to ISO 400 and not use any filters. When scanning, I don't set to gray scale, but rather color RGB so that Silver Efex Pro 2 will recognize it. In other words, on VueScan I call it a color negative and not a b&w negative.

01-25-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote

<snip>

With all that said, IF you're going to scan it as a TIFF or DNG file and then PP on PS or Nik's Silver Efex Pro 2, then I'd default to ISO 400 and not use any filters. When scanning, I don't set to gray scale, but rather color RGB so that Silver Efex Pro 2 will recognize it. In other words, on VueScan I call it a color negative and not a b&w negative.
Confirmed

Both XP2 and BW400CN should be scanned with 'digital ICE' enabled as they are not inherently grainy.
Normal mono film will upset any simple scheme so the scanners low level noise reduction needs to be disabled.

Scanning XP2 as colour negative is the simplest way of achieving this, ideally there should be an explicit control eg it may be better to scan Kodachrome slides with ICE off!

XP2 can be shot at 800 if you like the pushed look or at 50 if you like 16x20 wet prints.

XP2 is way useful if you have a local mono lab and want a quick turnaround!
02-05-2016, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Dark green for portraits is not common. And often not too faltering for woman with red lipstick. It can make their lips render black and "goth-looking" depending how red it is. And it can augment red blemishes and what not. Green filter darkens the red color. Yellow-Green is a classical portrait filter. It darkens red/pink lips on Caucasian skin enough to contrast the tones.