Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #1

M42 to K mount adapter

I recently purchased an M42 screwmount lens for my KX, but the adapter I got off ebay doesn't seem to mount the lens properly. When the lens is attached to the body it does not line up how a k mount would normally and appears about 15-20 degrees counterclockwise. (Geeze, I don't know how to explain this well). Is this going to affect focusing at all?

I know I should have bought the genuine adapter, but it was 99 cents!

07-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
The best way to know if the offset will have any effect on focus (or anything else) is to shoot some pictures. Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to be direct.

For what it's worth, I have two M42 lenses, and have genuine Pentax adapters on both. On one, the red focus hash mark lines up like any of my other lenses, the other points to about 11:00 o'clock (viewed from the front of the body). No focus issues with either.
07-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

As long as you are using a flush mount adapter without the flange, I doubt you will have any focusing issues because of the slightly counter clockwise rotation. I have at least 1 lens of my 5 m42's that has the same issue that you are describing. But it focuses just fine. Only way to be 100% sure is to go out and snap a few shots with it.
07-04-2008, 01:01 AM   #4
Banned

my s-m-c takumar 135 3.5 has the same issue and I use a genuine pentax adapter. it has showed absolutely no effect on focusing or anything else.

07-04-2008, 04:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess the question is: does it focus to infinity?
If the answer is yes then do not worry about it, you focus with your eyes not with the alignment of the adapter so where the marks are is quite inconsequential
07-04-2008, 05:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. And yes, it does not focus to infinity, so I'll have to try and find a better adapter. Apparently B&H has a decent one. Of course, I'd rather have the genuine Pentax adapter.
07-06-2008, 10:33 AM   #7

Genuine adapters are usually available at main (downtown) Vistek location. I've bought 2 there and they were in stock both times.

Pentax Mount Adapter K 35mm Cameras 30120 - Vistek Canada Product Detail

Call first to be sure, or just order it online.

07-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

sounds like the same adapter I got off flea bay. if the lens is not flush you wont get infinity. The aperature settings are off set. So I got a proper adapter which makes the lens fit flush to the body.

However, I have kept the incorrect one, as it gives a slight macro effect on my M42 lenses.
07-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
Forum Member

I only have genuine adapters, and my m42 lenses mount the way you're describing: "slightly to the right" as I'm looking down at them. No issues with focusing, though. Well, other than "it's hard to focus with a manual lens and a regular screen."
07-09-2008, 04:28 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hey all,

Thanks for the responses. I'll be picking up a genuine adapter from either Vistek or Henry's sometime this week. For some reason I just assumed neither company would be able to find a genuine adapter for me, but apparently they stock them. I guess that should've been the first place to look before ebay. Oh well, lesson learned. Fortunately I've been able to use my FA 50 1.4 in the meantime.