Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2016, 07:18 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Just put the prism back unless you are unlucky the missing coating won't show,...
I plan to clean the missing coating area and put the silver chrome decal on it, do you think it work ?

01-31-2016, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nplong Quote
I plan to clean the missing coating area and put the silver chrome decal on it, do you think it work ?
That might work but you are going to see the boundaries between the sliver coating and the decal. There will probably be differences in light transmission as well.

Why not just return the camera to the seller and buy a different one?
01-31-2016, 08:04 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
That might work but you are going to see the boundaries between the sliver coating and the decal. There will probably be differences in light transmission as well.

Why not just return the camera to the seller and buy a different one?
I just buy this 25usd with lots of item, and seller told me about this as well. I thinks I can just open and clean the prism, lol
now I am buying another 25usd k1000 body to exchange the prism.
01-31-2016, 07:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

That is termed shooting the Eskimo girl and raping the bear.
If you clean the prism and put it back it should be ok!
Try it you will be amazed!

Google 'total internal reflection'

You are more likely to destroy two cameras!

01-31-2016, 10:19 PM   #20

Original Poster
That is termed shooting the Eskimo girl and raping the bear.

Google 'total internal reflection'

You are more likely to destroy two cameras!
Sorry, I dont understand you clearly.
I has cleaned the dirty glue on the top of prism and put it back, but there is not much different.
02-01-2016, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Based on the OP's description of the problem, the issue is internal to the pentaprism. I've seen this before and short of having access to the sort of precision lasers used in eye surgeries, it cannot be cleaned. Getting the second "as is" body will not be a total loss as that second body can be used for other parts that may be needed in the future. And you can't beat the price compared to paying for new parts or sending it out for repairs.

I'm not an eye surgeon, nor a camera repair whiz, but I think anyone with patience and a bit of care can do this repair.
02-01-2016, 03:20 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Based on the OP's description of the problem, the issue is internal to the pentaprism. I've seen this before and short of having access to the sort of precision lasers used in eye surgeries, it cannot be cleaned. Getting the second "as is" body will not be a total loss as that second body can be used for other parts that may be needed in the future. And you can't beat the price compared to paying for new parts or sending it out for repairs.

I'm not an eye surgeon, nor a camera repair whiz, but I think anyone with patience and a bit of care can do this repair.

thank you. I am sure that I can repair this problem when I got an replacement. But I still don't see any "as-is" k1000 in the price range 30usd (include shipping - I am from Thailand).
Now I am starting take picture with this sign in center of viewfinder. It is a little hard for me to focus since this is my 1st SLR camera
02-01-2016, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Sorry, I dont understand you clearly.
I has cleaned the dirty glue on the top of prism and put it back, but there is not much different.
You are correct I did not explain completely, sorry.
The 'glue' from the foam destroys the top coat on the prism which in turn destroys the 'silver' of the mirror. It is still there but stops working properly.
So if the prism does not work as is : you remove the top coat and silver down to optical glass on all the area that are damaged and try again. I use the plastic tip from a ball point pen as a scraper. Then clean the glass exposed like lens surface...

I've done lots of OM prisms their view finders are indistinguishable from new although the prisms look sad.

Google the text 'total internal reflection'

It is always good to repair cameras without cannibalism.

Last edited by Xmas; 02-01-2016 at 03:46 AM.
02-02-2016, 12:14 AM   #24

Original Poster
Dear Xmas, thank you very much for take your time and reply kindly.
I am very interested in your solution and I will do it on my free time this week.
I just wonder about your words: "That is termed shooting the Eskimo girl and raping the bear."
What does it means? Is it the words to compare something? If you have time please explain to me. Thanks.

Now I have a roll of film inside the camera, if I open the camera's top now, is it destroy the film?
02-02-2016, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter

Now I have a roll of film inside the camera, if I open the camera's top now, is it destroy the film?
I think light will leak in if the camera is loaded during this repair. Not positive, but why risk it?

Make note of what shot you are on. Push in your rewind button. Gently and slowly turn your rewind knob clockwise. When you hear some noise and feel a bit of sudden resistance as the film comes off the advance spool, stop rewinding. You can open the camera now and remove the film. With tape or a black marker, write what shot you were on the film. When it comes time to reload the film, put on the lens cap and set the shutter speed to 1/1000" at f/16. Block any light that can enter the viewfinder too. Advance the film until you get to the shot where you had stopped earlier.
02-02-2016, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

I think light will leak in if the camera is loaded during this repair. Not positive, but why risk it?

Make note of what shot you are on. Push in your rewind button. Gently and slowly turn your rewind knob clockwise. When you hear some noise and feel a bit of sudden resistance as the film comes off the advance spool, stop rewinding. You can open the camera now and remove the film. With tape or a black marker, write what shot you were on the film. When it comes time to reload the film, put on the lens cap and set the shutter speed to 1/1000" at f/16. Block any light that can enter the viewfinder too. Advance the film until you get to the shot where you had stopped earlier.
The important points are

Rewind slowly and carefully
Note number on cassette
and add one to number of frames so you have a blank one instead of a partially overlapped pair.

If you do wind the film back into cassette Google '35 mm film extractor' you can make a film extractor out of a length of scrap film, better than store bought!

---------- Post added 02-02-16 at 10:25 AM ----------

"That is termed shooting the Eskimo girl and raping the bear."
What does it means? Is it the words to compare something? If you have time please explain to me.
You were supposed to shoot the bear, and ... it is a rude sexist joke.
I had not detected your mother tongue was not English sorry.

The problem with the total internal reflection is you might need to alter the position of the hold down mechanism, the OM prisms foam is not near the hold down points so they are easy to fix.

I use two K1000 in street shooting cause they are cheap and changing film takes so long one with 28mm one with 35mm.

They are both from 2nd production run so may not have foam problems. It would be useful for people if you took smartphone shots of repair.
02-02-2016, 08:07 AM   #27

Original Poster
Hi, I just open my camera again and tried to clean the prism as Xmas said, but I cannot remove all of the dirty and silver at the destroyed areas.
This is what I can do

and this is when I put it back to the camera

I think I cannot do anything with this anymore.
02-02-2016, 08:57 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Hi, I just open my camera again and tried to clean the prism as Xmas said, but I cannot remove all of the dirty and silver at the destroyed areas.
This is what I can do

Yes, I had almost the exact same shape on my bad pentaprism, except it was black. I had to replace the entire prism from another camera.
02-03-2016, 03:18 AM   #29
Veteran Member

This is what I can do

Use more effort!
02-03-2016, 10:41 AM   #30

Original Poster
Do anyone know pentaprism in pentax ME and pentax k1000 is the same one or not? I found an pentax ME they sell very cheap but I am not sure about the size of pentaprism.