Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #1

Rewind/windup problem

I own a Pentax K1000 film SLR camera. Earlier today I loaded film into it to shoot. I had turned the lever and the rewind crank was turning the canister as it should. However, as soon as I closed the camera and kept advancing, the first one or two cranks had almost too much resistance and I could hear cracking happening in the camera. Then it went back to normal and the film advanced normally through all my shots. After I shot the roll, and began to rewind the film back into the canister: but again there was a lot of resistance and cracking sounds. I think part of the problem might have been that when I rewound the film, I did not press the auto-winder button at the bottom of the model. Once I opened up the back of the camera, the film was ripped from the canister and still wrapped around the take up spool.
Does this issue sound like something that happened because i didn't press the auto-winder button, or could there be something else wrong with the camera/should I get the camera or a specific part replaced?
Thank you all! Let me know if a picture would be valuable.

02-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
You do have to press the film rewind button on the bottom of the camera in order to rewind the film. It allows the take-up spool to spin in reverse. As for the first issue, just a guess, but, it sounds like the sprocket holes may have been out of alignment.

Last edited by sundr; 02-11-2016 at 05:58 PM.
02-11-2016, 08:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for the help! Is there anything I can look for/do to fix the sprocket holes?
02-11-2016, 09:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

When you thread the film leader into the take up spool, then pin the film unto the sprocket shaft with thumb of right hand and operate the rewind knob lever with left hand until you feel the film tighten in the cassette then release thumb on shaft and operate the wind on lever until both top and bottom sprockets of film are engaged with sprocket shaft teeth.

Then close back door and wind on gently till counter gets to one. If the rewind knob is not rotating as you wind on you have a misload!

Stop at 37 or when resistance occurs earlier, or 24 depending on cassette.

Push the button, then rewind.

You need to remove all film shards from camera cause they can damage the shutter blinds and ribbons.

Loading film and rewinding is difficult I need to carry two spare bodies or a changing bag, after 60 years of failures.

With a changing bag you wind the film off the take up spool and load into all black cassette tub and seal tub with an avery label and write no cassette on label. It should still be ok if you are careful.