Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2016, 08:09 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Got a ESII

Last night at the local photography club donations of film cameras from the last year or so were brought in for us to grab. Very few in the club are the least bit interested and I knew ahead of time that there was some Pentax stuff. It was also decided ahead of time that a full system Bronica GS-1 (6X7) was too good to just give away so it would become the club's and people could book it out. There was a Horseman 6X7 which my so called friend grabbed out of my hands when I showed it to him. I had no intension of keeping it anyways which is why I showed it to him as with having three formats of large format and owning Holgas, Dianas and Hasselblads my medium format needs are well taken care of. There were a lot of Nikkor lens and two cameras a F and a F3. We told one member who is getting into film to take the F3 as she already has Nikon cameras and my friend decided that since no one else was interested in the near mint F he would take it to join his F2, 2 F3s and one or two F4 (he might also have a F5).

The Pentax was a ESII, black with no brassing at all. For lenses there were two Takumars, both the newest SMC versions, the 55 1.8 and the 100 f4 macro both with lens hoods and caps. The other lenses for it were a Sun 85-210, a Vivitar 28 wide angle and a Mamiya Sekor 55 1.8. There were also a auto bellows and extension tubes. I would have perferred for it to have all been K mount but it all came home with me along with a Manfrotto 055 tripod with a 029 three way pan head in need of some repair. I already have a 055 and a newer 029 head plus had bought but not picked up another 029 head so now my medium and large format needs are well taken care of and both my wife and I can shoot at the same time on sturdy tripods.

I am not sure what I am going to do with it all as I hardy shoot 35mm film anymore. I will give the ESII a try out and see if I want to return to a screw mount system as both my wife and I had Spotmatic Fs as our first cameras. The ESII could end up mostly sitting on the shelf or I might give it to my nephew who has his mother's Spotmatic that does not work but he does have some lenses from it. I will also try out the two Takuamars on my digital and my MZ5n as I have the adapter which I have never used before. I am not interested in the non Pentax lenses but if I give the camera to my nephew I will give him those lenses. I also know someone who once offered me his Spotmatic and a couple of lenses so maybe I will pursue that as would like a wide angle Pentax if for no other reason than the filter size being the same and I still have filters from when we started.

A camera, 5 lenses, bellows and a decent tripod are not bad for free and worth much more than my yearly membership fee. I have already shot with the same model of Bronica so may never borrow it but do expect to be called to assist others wanting to use it.

If I do decide to use the MZ5n as a fully manual camera with those two lenses I also have a 28 2.8M version 1 so I would have the full system I would need of for a fully manual camera.

I will take photos of the gear this weekend or next week to add to this thread.

02-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter

That's great. It sounds like you got some nice lenses too!
02-13-2016, 03:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm very fond of my ES and ESII despite their limitations. Eric did a wonderful job restoring the ESII which was bought as a non-functioning "spares or repair" item.

I wish I knew where people were who gave stuff away like that!

Cheers, Kris.

---------- Post added 02-13-16 at 10:58 AM ----------

Here is mine...

Pentax ESII with a Superlite II and a SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8 lens par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

K.
02-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I'm very fond of my ES and ESII despite their limitations. Eric did a wonderful job restoring the ESII which was bought as a non-functioning "spares or repair" item.

I wish I knew where people were who gave stuff away like that!

Cheers, Kris.

---------- Post added 02-13-16 at 10:58 AM ----------

Here is mine...

Pentax ESII with a Superlite II and a SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8 lens par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

K.
Nice I like the flash as well. Have you tried the Autorobo flash with your ES bodies, it came out around the same time as the ES Series?

Phil.

---------- Post added 02-13-16 at 08:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
I will take photos of the gear this weekend or next week to add to this thread.
Yes please!

Phil.

02-13-2016, 01:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nice I like the flash as well. Have you tried the Autorobo flash with your ES bodies, it came out around the same time as the ES Series?

Phil.

---------- Post added 02-13-16 at 08:33 AM ----------

Yes please!

Phil.
No, I don't have one of those. I'll keep an eye out...
02-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check carefully the version of the Vivitar using the Great Bestiary. It may be a much sought Komine close focus version that you may well want to hold on to. Or may not be.
02-13-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have a black ES ll, wit the 55 mm F 1.8 Takumar. Great camera, uses 4...yes 4 batteries. Bought mine new in '74 (I think). I had a Pentax S1a (still have) at the time and was trying to decide whether to get the black ES ll or a NOS Nikon F Photomic.

I went with the ES ll, as I found the Pentax viewfinder brighter/clearer and the idea of having electronic automation..if I so chose...was very appealing back then. I also thought the black ES ll looked very elegant, but also found the Photomic F with it's large odd shaped top very appealing too. Think the ES ll went for about $ 364 CAD, the Photomic F about $ 450 CAD....both with standard lenses. The extra 80 odd dollars was a consideration, but not a big one for me then.
02-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Check carefully the version of the Vivitar using the Great Bestiary. It may be a much sought Komine close focus version that you may well want to hold on to. Or may not be.
Thanks but just the run of 5he mill T93

---------- Post added 02-13-16 at 04:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have a black ES ll, wit the 55 mm F 1.8 Takumar. Great camera, uses 4...yes 4 batteries. Bought mine new in '74 (I think). I had a Pentax S1a (still have) at the time and was trying to decide whether to get the black ES ll or a NOS Nikon F Photomic.

I went with the ES ll, as I found the Pentax viewfinder brighter/clearer and the idea of having electronic automation..if I so chose...was very appealing back then. I also thought the black ES ll looked very elegant, but also found the Photomic F with it's large odd shaped top very appealing too. Think the ES ll went for about $ 364 CAD, the Photomic F about $ 450 CAD....both with standard lenses. The extra 80 odd dollars was a consideration, but not a big one for me then.
I believe we paid 279 CAD for our black Spotmatic F in 74 but our second one was less as my wife was working at McBain Camera and bought it directly from the distributor.

---------- Post added 02-13-16 at 04:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Thanks but just the run of 5he mill T93

---------- Post added 02-13-16 at 04:47 PM ----------

I believe we paid 279 CAD for our black Spotmatic F in 74 but our second one was less as my wife was working at McBain Camera and bought it directly from the distributor.
We bought a 5 pack of batteries for 1.99 this afternoon, the battery compartment had to be cleaned of corosion but now the meter works. I hope I am feeling better tomorrow so I can take it for a walk, have it loaded with a 24 exposure Arista 400.