Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I didn't think it could be done!

Well, Eric told me yesterday that I finally wore out my old K1000. The film transport gears are worn down to the point where the advance sprockets no longer stay in time with the take up reel.

I have owned the camera since 1984 and have used it steadily since I bought it. It has never given me any trouble whatsoever until just recently when the film take up started to bind up. I have no idea how much film has been put through the camera since I picked it up used in a Reno Pawnshop but I know that I personally have shot a lot of film in it.

Has anyone here managed to wear their camera out? Not break it, actually wear out parts to the point where they no longer work properly.

02-14-2016, 12:44 PM   #2

Impressive, Pioneer. I hope I can get same mileage with my old LX.
02-14-2016, 12:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the auto-wind on my Z-1 (PZ-1) gave up the ghost (I could feel it 'swell' and stop inside the hand-grip) after several hundred rolls of film - never counted - between 500 and 1000, I guess - it was in was about ten years old - and there's more strain on automated camers
02-14-2016, 12:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Well, Eric told me yesterday that I finally wore out my old K1000. The film transport gears are worn down to the point where the advance sprockets no longer stay in time with the take up reel.
Curious as to which generation K1000 this is: made in Japan, assemble in Hong Kong or made in China?

02-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Eric told me yesterday that I finally wore out my old K1000. The film transport gears are worn down to the point where the advance sprockets no longer stay in time with the take up reel.
well that is spectacular, you wore out a camera widely held to be nigh on indestructible.

My grandfathers Leica M3, purchased new (circa 1956) had to have a substantial segment of its film transport and shutter gears replaced in 2006, Good thing Leica has a 50 year policy of keeping parts for older camera repairs.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-14-2016 at 02:55 PM.
02-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Curious as to which generation K1000 this is: made in Japan, assemble in Hong Kong or made in China?
Made in Japan. I don't know exactly when it was made though obviously it was before 1984. That was when I bought it along with the M50/2 that still works fine. I always figured that it was some student's camera since the pawnshop was a few blocks down Virginia St from the U of Nevada.

---------- Post added 02-14-2016 at 03:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
well that is spectacular, you wore out a camera widely held to be nigh on indestructible.

My grandfathers Leica M3, purchased new (circa 1956) had to have a substantial segment of its film transport and shutter gears replaced in 2006, Good thing Leica has a 50 year policy of keeping parts for older camera repairs.
I always thought the shutter would die first but evidently not.

Eric is installing some new parts and says that it should work good as new when finished.

I have a 57 M3 that I love but it has certainly had a couple of repairs done to it over the years. The K1000 has always amazed me because I certainly did not treat it very nicely, particularly in its early years. And mid-state Nevada is not known to be a gentle environment for anything, let alone cameras.

Last edited by Pioneer; 02-14-2016 at 04:54 PM.
02-14-2016, 06:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mechanically the K1000 is a Spotmatic series camera. Compared to the competitors of the time - Nikkormat, Canon FT series, Minolta SRT etc, the Spotmatic is way more durable. It is not uncommon to see a well used 23102 Spotmatic working well after 45 years of use. That being said, everything that has parts rubbing against each other wears. Transport gear replacement is more common than shutter part replacement, though. I would call it a happy end for a good friend.

02-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That's incredible!
02-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have owned the camera since 1984 and have used it steadily since I bought it. It has never given me any trouble whatsoever until just recently when the film take up started to bind up. I have no idea how much film has been put through the camera since I picked it up used in a Reno Pawnshop but I know that I personally have shot a lot of film in it.

Has anyone here managed to wear their camera out? Not break it, actually wear out parts to the point where they no longer work properly.
You need to start saving pennies for a 'new' body?
02-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice, that's impressive!
02-15-2016, 12:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Mechanically the K1000 is a Spotmatic series camera. Compared to the competitors of the time - Nikkormat, Canon FT series, Minolta SRT etc, the Spotmatic is way more durable. It is not uncommon to see a well used 23102 Spotmatic working well after 45 years of use. That being said, everything that has parts rubbing against each other wears. Transport gear replacement is more common than shutter part replacement, though. I would call it a happy end for a good friend.
I had wondered what that number on my SP was...

'23102 Spotmatic'
02-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
You need to start saving pennies for a 'new' body?
Nah, Eric or his help will be able to get mine up and running again.

I know it may be heresy, but I am actually thinking that it may be time to give some shutter time to my K2. I had it cleaned up and re-skinned a few years ago but have not been giving it much exercise.
02-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Nah, Eric or his help will be able to get mine up and running again.

I know it may be heresy, but I am actually thinking that it may be time to give some shutter time to my K2. I had it cleaned up and re-skinned a few years ago but have not been giving it much exercise.
Hi

I had seen that you had sent it off for repair. But can you bear to be without one?
I have two...

Noel
02-15-2016, 06:27 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Hi

I had seen that you had sent it off for repair. But can you bear to be without one?
I have two...

Noel
Well...

If you promise not to tell anyone...

Shhh...

I am pretty sure I have another in the drawer somewhere.
02-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well...

If you promise not to tell anyone...

Shhh...

I am pretty sure I have another in the drawer somewhere.
Your info is secret squirrel I've been 'bad' too.
Sat last I bought a sad SP off a street market stall rusty chrome (!) everywhere with a takumar semi auto 55/2 from an earlier era perfect optics good mechanicals.
Meter was kaput but ok now.
Needs new foam as well but has a c41 in it while I find craft knife...
I normally use single coated lenses and mono.