Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

If the finances work out I'll be going for it. I'm still shooting a couple of rolls of film a week as I always have, but I also find myself using my K-7 more and more, and it's getting on a bit - the lack of high ISO performance is beginning to irritate me.
I'll be taking my Z-1p and 645 for film when I go to study in Japan for a year from September, and I want to have a digital camera that will give me the same quality and experience, so if I can afford it I'll be waltzing into Yodobashi Camera the day I arrive and availing myself of a K-1 body to match with all the brilliant lenses I love so much on my film cameras. I really wasn't planning to until I saw the specification and price - it's turned out to be a significantly more attractive proposition than I thought it would be.

02-18-2016, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
For archival quality stage production shoots, I'd agree that current digital tech is a huge advantage. Does depend on the aesthetic however and that said, I can get some *outstanding* stage shots with a roll of Cinestill 800T, especially pushed a stop or two. Case in point:

Now THAT is arithmetic that's difficult to argue with.
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Sure, stage/event is an area I'd grab a digital over film if I only could carry one camera. But I'd still like to get it a go with BW film if there was enough light and it was for fun.
@chickentender and tuco, agree with you both whole-heartedly (although my stage performance are usually associated with dances). I wish sometimes that I do it just for the love of it myself, but in reality it is not always the case; And I do admire you courage to stick with film and do what you enjoy the most. Here is another example of my thoughts on stage photographer I just posted.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/314370-people-its-not...ou-can-do.html
02-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
... it's turned out to be a significantly more attractive proposition than I thought it would be.
That's largely where I'm at currently.
02-18-2016, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My inner cheapskate just whispered to me

Nah, looks way too complicated for me. I wonder how many pages are in the instruction book?
So not surprisingly I don't expect to be buying any dSLR, new or used, anytime soon.

But I was thinking for anyone so inclined now may be a very good time to pick up a bargain
on a used Pentax APS-C dSLR from someone desperate for funds to purchase a new K-1...

Chris

02-18-2016, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Unless you do your own film developing, you will miss the post processing (fun) part of digital RAW file. I am sure you still use film because you find it more challenging and intriguing than digital version of photography. For me, there is no turning back....besides, I can waste many many shots with DSLR without breaking the bank whereas I can not afford to do the same with film. Nevertheless, I can understand and wish you the best fun you have with film.
Doesn't sound like this question was posed with you in mind so I won't address each of your points. Likewise, enjoy whatever you use.
02-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't find the K-1 appealing anymore. I have no interest in new AF lenses, as my collection of manual lenses does all I need. While waiting for the FF Pentax I picked up an A7, and with a Voigtlander adapter it works fine for my Pentax lenses.
I find the Leica SL more interesting - again for my old manual Leica reflex lenses.
02-18-2016, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Low light family indoor evening type portraits etc is why I want the K1. And the fact I have a 43/77 :-)

It is way out of my toy budget now so I will buy it 12 months after it is released, used...

Actually the reason I got into film in the first place was because of B&W and I won't stop doing that ever. Digital stuff looks too perfect and clean. I love the grit and texture of Tri-X pushed to 1600.

Not sure if I would still shoot color 35mm if I had a K1, however.
02-19-2016, 09:13 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Probably this is in the wrong sub forum any one interested in DSLRs is somewhere else?

02-19-2016, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I bought a Pentax FF back in October. Cost me 35 bucks.
02-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I don't think its the wrong forum as the population shooting film here is presumably as close to 100% as it can be, where in any other forum it would be approaching 0%...
02-19-2016, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

I never adapted to APS-C. I mean, people act like its the standard but it hasn't been around that long as far as I know and most of my life has been the full 35mm frame with the exception of a few years with APS-C. So the full frame is what I wanted in digital too and I sure in hell was not going to wait for a specific vendor to make it either.

I'd like a better digital FF platform for shooing some of my old-school K-mount than I have now with my F-mount and perhaps I'll pick up a used K-1 when the next generation comes out and the price is significantly reduced. I was going to get a used Sony for that when it got cheaper but this K-1 looks like waiting for too.
02-19-2016, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Any PF Filmies Thinking of Snagging a K-1?
Yep, I put in my pre-order early this morning.
And I will continue to enjoy shooting with my Pentax film cameras too (SV, ESII, K2, LX, MZ-S ...) even after receiving the K-1
Just received 10 more rolls of Kodak Ektar 100.

Last edited by Moe49; 04-07-2016 at 02:08 PM.
02-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Nope. I have a K5iis and it is still a wonderful camera. I have no problem putting the 35mm on it knowing it will be a normal lens even if it is wide angle on my film cameras or that my 50 mm is normal on the film and a short tele on the digital. Other than the lens being the same field of view with the K1 I see no reason why film shooters would think differently about it over the other K series cameras.

I already obtained three cameras this year, first a K01 that I got converted to infrared and it's on it's way here now, the second is a ESII with 5 lens that was given to me last week and the third is a Reisen container that will become a pinhole camera.
02-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
I don't think its the wrong forum as the population shooting film here is presumably as close to 100% as it can be, where in any other forum it would be approaching 0%...
Thanks - That's precisely why I posted it here. It was a question specifically for PF "Filmies".

---------- Post added 02-19-16 at 03:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I never adapted to APS-C. I mean, people act like its the standard but it hasn't been around that long as far as I know and most of my life has been the full 35mm frame with the exception of a few years with APS-C. So the full frame is what I wanted in digital too and I sure in hell was not going to wait for a specific vendor to make it either.

I'd like a better digital FF platform for shooing some of my old-school K-mount than I have now with my F-mount and perhaps I'll pick up a used K-1 when the next generation comes out and the price is significantly reduced. I was going to get a used Sony for that when it got cheaper but this K-1 looks like waiting for too.
That's been precisely my thinking. Nearly purchased a Sony a couple times over the few years but every time I've used one it just never floated my boat. I'd been thinking I'd wait for the next-gen-release price drop as well, but truthfully now I think the first big price drop or bundle might push me into the pool.

I've had several APS-C cams over the past decade but use them less and less.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 02-19-2016 at 04:57 PM.
02-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It looks promising but the tiny viewfinder magnification and continued use of the crippled K-mount are not encouraging.