Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2016, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
I like it here, more about photography rather than the endless debates about minuscule details of technology
Sure, now you can participate in endless debate about minuscule details of film photography.

... which to be fair, is far more worth it. But when the inevitable debate *between* the two (digi & film) arrives before you.... walk away. Just walk away.

04-12-2016, 10:24 AM   #92
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
I'd placed my pre-order for the K-1 a couple days after it was available, but right now I'm very close to cancelling, why ?......because I've rediscovered film.
Although I'm not at the same level as you are, I've also re-discovered film, although in my case it's kind of a full-on discovery since I never used film other than a few disposable cameras 20 years ago. I'm really getting into developing at home, and just ordered a C-41 kit and some color film for the first time.

I'm not far enough down the road that I'd cancel my pre-order, however I can see how the two pursuits are different enough that one could interfere with the other in some ways. Anymore, I always carry a digital and a film camera with me..... just in case.

I have to credit the K-1, or the heretofore lack thereof, for getting me into film in the first place. Had it not been for the gaping expanse of time with no "digital solution for full frame," then I'd probably have never been curious enough to pick up that first film body in the first place.
04-12-2016, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #93
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I'm not far enough down the road that I'd cancel my pre-order, however I can see how the two pursuits are different enough that one could interfere with the other in some ways. Anymore, I always carry a digital and a film camera with me..... just in case.

For me the two formats compliment each other, which is why I carry both also. The decision to cancel the K-1 came down to I already have a perfectly good digital with the K-3II, so I can focus on film rather than be distracted with a new shiny toy.
04-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #94
Pentaxian

I'd love to have the same field of view on digital as on film, especially as I have a lot of old lenses, but the size and weight of a FF DSLR is considerable. I'm going on a trip this week and even the K3 isn't making it into the bag due to weight (granted I'm taking the 645 a a 35mm SLR). A FF DSLR wouldn't stand a chance.

04-14-2016, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

I don't need a FF, but neither do I need all the film cameras I own. A couple of Qs and a K5 meet all my digital needs. And yet, there is something more than need that can motivate one. The emotion of 'want'. What are the reasons to want a K1? Satisfying a hunger for the further-est achievement of Pentax design, enjoying incremental gains in perfection you may likely never notice. Using lenses on the format they were designed for in regard to angle and depth of field. Is this all worth twice the cost of a K311 which already puts out pictures of remarkable quality? I am still deciding.
05-17-2016, 10:46 AM   #96
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Still will not be buying a K-1 in the foreseeable future, but nonetheless find myself in that subforum a fair bit lately.
05-17-2016, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Me.

I already opened a thread annoying a lot of digital people with my analogic questions.
05-17-2016, 04:46 PM - 2 Likes   #98
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Me.

I already opened a thread annoying a lot of digital people with my analogic questions.
Yeah I just read that thread and my head is still spinning. Using a DSLR, whether is FF or cropped, would drive me absolutely nuts! (My Pentax P5/50 is too complicated)

You are a brave man if you buy a K1. I'm too old and set in my ways to use a DSLR, it would take all the fun out of photography for me.

Phil.

05-17-2016, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #99
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Still will not be buying a K-1 in the foreseeable future...
How long is that, these days?

---------- Post added 18th May 2016 at 09:53 AM ----------

I already opened a thread annoying a lot of digital people...
Digital people! There's a modern concept. When I last looked, I was still analogue (except for my fingers and toes).
05-17-2016, 05:40 PM   #100
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote

---------- Post added 18th May 2016 at 09:53 AM ----------

Digital people! There's a modern concept. When I last looked, I was still analogue (except for my fingers and toes).
Oh, I'll definitely wait til a good old price drop at the very earliest, but it's really cool that it's being so well-received.
05-17-2016, 06:48 PM   #101
Pentaxian

I might start looking at K-1's after the K-2 is introduced...

Chris
05-18-2016, 12:14 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yeah I just read that thread and my head is still spinning. Using a DSLR, whether is FF or cropped, would drive me absolutely nuts! (My Pentax P5/50 is too complicated)

You are a brave man if you buy a K1. I'm too old and set in my ways to use a DSLR, it would take all the fun out of photography for me.

Phil.
I just asked them if with the K-1 I can set manually the shutter speed, aperture, have open metering (like the SPF) and take a pictures. Some answers were confusing at best.

Yes, they are confused people IMO. The concept of "split screen" to manual focus is confusing for some of them.
05-19-2016, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #103
Site Supporter

Some answers were confusing at best.
And some were brilliant? Please tell me my answers were brilliant

Steve
05-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
And some were brilliant? Please tell me my answers were brilliant

Steve
Of course your answers are brilliant!

Still have to understand if with a A lens I'll have the privilege to have open metering (something the Spotmatic users had since 1973) in that jewel of digital technology that is the K-1.
05-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #105
Site Supporter

Apparently, my answer was not brilliant enough

Still have to understand if with a A lens I'll have the privilege to have open metering (something the Spotmatic users had since 1973) in that jewel of digital technology that is the K-1.
Yes: "A", "F", "FA", "DA", and "D FA" are fully supported for all exposure modes and for P-TTL flash automation.

Steve