Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 03:36 PM   #106
Forum Member
Pentaxis's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 89
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Just curious if any of you folks around these parts are thinking of picking up a K-1. I was on the fence but certainly considering it. Having a good look at this morning's specs and quick hands-on previews, not to mention the price has me thinking that perhaps I will retire my (admittedly very infrequently used) K-3 and pick up this guy and THEN be done with the digital race.

If Pentax had never built/released a digital full-frame I intended, very sincerely, that the K-3 was to be my last digital purchase, as I shoot my film bodies more and more, probably 95% of the time over the last two years with no plan for changing that ratio for many reasons everyone here can relate to or otherwise understand. But I'm now genuinely considering this body. Though I don't shoot digi often at all any longer, it would certainly be nice to use all my glass in a non-cropped digital.
I only just found this thread and I seem to be among kindred spirits here. It's reassuring to find out I am not the only minded toward the analogue, simple, aesthetic and elegant aspects of our beautiful hobby, or profession.

My simple input is:
- For "special occasions" I have three Pentax M series cameras that are pretty, elegant, compact, lightweight and functional (i.e. do the job.).
- I have three M-series lenses that are also pretty, elegant, compact, lightweight and functional.
- For everyday snapping I have a ten year old digital point and shoot (Olympus Stylus Mju) that is delightfully compact. It goes everywhere with me.
- I would, for the future, like a technologically "dumbed-down" digital full frame SLR, so I could use my three lenses as nature intended. In other words, the camera would NOT have, or need, any of the following features: no autofocus functionality (therefore no focussing points in the viewfinder), no camera back display (therefore I could use a case), no astrotracker, no shake reduction (therefore no motors and no "fat" sensor plane),no LCD in viewfinder, not even GPS.

Losing all these features should mean a more slimmed-down, svelte , cheaper body, should it not?

Put simply, I envisage a digital counterpart to an ME Super.

05-19-2016, 06:18 PM   #107
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,161
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
Put simply, I envisage a digital counterpart to an ME Super.
Most of us are holding out for a digital version of the LX, but a MEsD might be OK.


Steve
05-19-2016, 10:05 PM - 3 Likes   #108
Site Supporter
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 4,423
I'll wait for the digital equivalent of the Pentax KX or KM, thanks - not to be confused with the Pentax k-X or k-M!

I have a hunch that a digital K1000 would appeal to many potential buyers.

Chris
05-20-2016, 06:42 AM   #109
Site Supporter
jcdoss's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,804
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I have a hunch that a digital K1000 would appeal to many potential buyers.
I resemble that remark!

05-20-2016, 10:44 PM   #110
Forum Member
vrolok's Avatar

Join Date: May 2014
Location: Caesaraugusta
Posts: 88
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I have a hunch that a digital K1000 would appeal to many potential buyers.

Chris
Sort of Leica M-D but a wee cheaper!
05-21-2016, 01:51 AM   #111
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,573
QuoteOriginally posted by vrolok Quote
Sort of Leica M-D but a wee cheaper!
Yes that would be the idea!
05-24-2016, 12:56 AM   #112
Site Supporter
arnold's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,193
Well I went and did it. With the Australian dollar weakening, and assuming the next shipment having a price increase, along with the dwindling supply, I drove to the camera store 30 minutes away and bought one. A K1 with a five year warranty. I doubt I will use most of the features, but so far I am impressed with the low light performance (who needs a flash?) and the use of knobs to get to many settings thus bypassing the the menu. Noticeably heavier than the K5, so not for easy touring. My 35mm Limited shoots full fame at all apertures, but the 15LtD, as expected, is cropped.
05-24-2016, 04:00 AM   #113
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,573
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Well I went and did it. With the Australian dollar weakening, and assuming the next shipment having a price increase, along with the dwindling supply, I drove to the camera store 30 minutes away and bought one. A K1 with a five year warranty. I doubt I will use most of the features, but so far I am impressed with the low light performance (who needs a flash?) and the use of knobs to get to many settings thus bypassing the the menu. Noticeably heavier than the K5, so not for easy touring. My 35mm Limited shoots full fame at all apertures, but the 15LtD, as expected, is cropped.
How is MF with this guy?

05-24-2016, 05:37 AM   #114
Site Supporter
arnold's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,193
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
How is MF with this guy?
I tried my A50/1.4 and A70-210, and they were fine. A split image would be the best, but with a bit of practice you can be spot on. If you shoot at best JPEG and also raw, you had better have big hard drives as the files are big. This is a heavy camera with that A70-210 zoom, but it is excellent in low light and low speeds.
05-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #115
Senior Member
rt22306's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 164
..and yesterday while in the camera shop with a FF Nikon in my hands (the D750), in walks a guy with an Olympus OM-1n he wants cleaned, inspected, lubed, made ready to rumble as he's going back to film...

I walk out with the Nikon after saying goodbye to the $0 balance on my VISA. I plan to update my K-5IIs later though.
05-25-2016, 02:19 AM   #116
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 359
QuoteOriginally posted by rt22306 Quote
..and yesterday while in the camera shop with a FF Nikon in my hands (the D750), in walks a guy with an Olympus OM-1n he wants cleaned, inspected, lubed, made ready to rumble as he's going back to film...

I walk out with the Nikon after saying goodbye to the $0 balance on my VISA. I plan to update my K-5IIs later though.
I'm still looking for a S1a cheap.
Last one was a middle series SP with autoTukmar 40GBP, I can leave a battery out and pretend.
05-25-2016, 03:03 AM   #117
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,573
QuoteOriginally posted by vrolok Quote
Sort of Leica M-D but a wee cheaper!
Yes, that would be the target.

It appears the Russkies (KMZ) is aiming at something similar:

The Russian Zenit Camera is Coming Back... to Battle Leica in Luxury
05-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #118
Site Supporter
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,863
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Yes, that would be the target.

It appears the Russkies (KMZ) is aiming at something similar:

The Russian Zenit Camera is Coming Back... to Battle Leica in Luxury
Film or digi? I wasn't clear from the article. Cool news either way really.
05-30-2016, 12:24 PM   #119
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,573
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Film or digi? I wasn't clear from the article. Cool news either way really.
I assume it's film.

And I hope they wont' make anything like the last film Zenit that came out:




They have released some new lenses though.
05-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #120
Site Supporter
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,863
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I assume it's film.

And I hope they wont' make anything like the last film Zenit that came out:




They have released some new lenses though.
To be fair - there were a lot of cameras with that... um.... aesthetic released around that time.
But, yes: ew.

---------- Post added 05-30-16 at 12:27 PM ----------

I'd reckon with Cosina Voigtlander halting production, there is a bit of a market, if a small one.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, bargain, chris, drop, dslr, film, flickr, forum, foto, frame, funds, k-1, k-3, kevin, kodak, lens, lenses, pages, pentax, pf filmies, photography, price, purchase, roll, roll film, shots, sony, stage, time, tx
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking of using some work lights, any suggestions? bladerunner6 Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 22 12-23-2014 06:07 AM
Thinking of getting B+W Clear UV filter for k-50 kit lens, any advice or experience? Hexism Pentax K-30 & K-50 21 12-05-2014 05:24 PM
Pentax K-3 review, thinking of buying a K3? Aboudd Pentax K-3 7 09-22-2014 07:43 PM
Question Hey Adam! Any Chance of More PF T-Shirts? wtlwdwgn Site Suggestions and Help 2 04-03-2014 12:31 PM
Thinking of trading a K-5 II for a K-30 memo90061 Pentax K-30 & K-50 36 05-19-2013 10:12 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:15 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top