Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 03:36 PM   #106
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Just curious if any of you folks around these parts are thinking of picking up a K-1. I was on the fence but certainly considering it. Having a good look at this morning's specs and quick hands-on previews, not to mention the price has me thinking that perhaps I will retire my (admittedly very infrequently used) K-3 and pick up this guy and THEN be done with the digital race.

If Pentax had never built/released a digital full-frame I intended, very sincerely, that the K-3 was to be my last digital purchase, as I shoot my film bodies more and more, probably 95% of the time over the last two years with no plan for changing that ratio for many reasons everyone here can relate to or otherwise understand. But I'm now genuinely considering this body. Though I don't shoot digi often at all any longer, it would certainly be nice to use all my glass in a non-cropped digital.
I only just found this thread and I seem to be among kindred spirits here. It's reassuring to find out I am not the only minded toward the analogue, simple, aesthetic and elegant aspects of our beautiful hobby, or profession.

My simple input is:
- For "special occasions" I have three Pentax M series cameras that are pretty, elegant, compact, lightweight and functional (i.e. do the job.).
- I have three M-series lenses that are also pretty, elegant, compact, lightweight and functional.
- For everyday snapping I have a ten year old digital point and shoot (Olympus Stylus Mju) that is delightfully compact. It goes everywhere with me.
- I would, for the future, like a technologically "dumbed-down" digital full frame SLR, so I could use my three lenses as nature intended. In other words, the camera would NOT have, or need, any of the following features: no autofocus functionality (therefore no focussing points in the viewfinder), no camera back display (therefore I could use a case), no astrotracker, no shake reduction (therefore no motors and no "fat" sensor plane),no LCD in viewfinder, not even GPS.

Losing all these features should mean a more slimmed-down, svelte , cheaper body, should it not?

Put simply, I envisage a digital counterpart to an ME Super.

05-19-2016, 06:18 PM   #107
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
Put simply, I envisage a digital counterpart to an ME Super.
Most of us are holding out for a digital version of the LX, but a MEsD might be OK.

Steve
05-19-2016, 10:05 PM - 3 Likes   #108
Site Supporter

I'll wait for the digital equivalent of the Pentax KX or KM, thanks - not to be confused with the Pentax k-X or k-M!

I have a hunch that a digital K1000 would appeal to many potential buyers.

Chris
05-20-2016, 06:42 AM   #109
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I resemble that remark!

05-20-2016, 10:44 PM   #110
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
Sort of Leica M-D but a wee cheaper!
05-21-2016, 01:51 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vrolok Quote
Yes that would be the idea!
05-24-2016, 12:56 AM   #112
Site Supporter

Well I went and did it. With the Australian dollar weakening, and assuming the next shipment having a price increase, along with the dwindling supply, I drove to the camera store 30 minutes away and bought one. A K1 with a five year warranty. I doubt I will use most of the features, but so far I am impressed with the low light performance (who needs a flash?) and the use of knobs to get to many settings thus bypassing the the menu. Noticeably heavier than the K5, so not for easy touring. My 35mm Limited shoots full fame at all apertures, but the 15LtD, as expected, is cropped.
05-24-2016, 04:00 AM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Well I went and did it. With the Australian dollar weakening, and assuming the next shipment having a price increase, along with the dwindling supply, I drove to the camera store 30 minutes away and bought one. A K1 with a five year warranty. I doubt I will use most of the features, but so far I am impressed with the low light performance (who needs a flash?) and the use of knobs to get to many settings thus bypassing the the menu. Noticeably heavier than the K5, so not for easy touring. My 35mm Limited shoots full fame at all apertures, but the 15LtD, as expected, is cropped.
How is MF with this guy?

05-24-2016, 05:37 AM   #114
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
How is MF with this guy?
I tried my A50/1.4 and A70-210, and they were fine. A split image would be the best, but with a bit of practice you can be spot on. If you shoot at best JPEG and also raw, you had better have big hard drives as the files are big. This is a heavy camera with that A70-210 zoom, but it is excellent in low light and low speeds.
05-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #115

..and yesterday while in the camera shop with a FF Nikon in my hands (the D750), in walks a guy with an Olympus OM-1n he wants cleaned, inspected, lubed, made ready to rumble as he's going back to film...

I walk out with the Nikon after saying goodbye to the $0 balance on my VISA. I plan to update my K-5IIs later though.
05-25-2016, 02:19 AM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rt22306 Quote
..and yesterday while in the camera shop with a FF Nikon in my hands (the D750), in walks a guy with an Olympus OM-1n he wants cleaned, inspected, lubed, made ready to rumble as he's going back to film...

I walk out with the Nikon after saying goodbye to the $0 balance on my VISA. I plan to update my K-5IIs later though.
I'm still looking for a S1a cheap.
Last one was a middle series SP with autoTukmar 40GBP, I can leave a battery out and pretend.
05-25-2016, 03:03 AM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vrolok Quote
Yes, that would be the target.

It appears the Russkies (KMZ) is aiming at something similar:

The Russian Zenit Camera is Coming Back... to Battle Leica in Luxury
05-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #118
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, that would be the target.

It appears the Russkies (KMZ) is aiming at something similar:

The Russian Zenit Camera is Coming Back... to Battle Leica in Luxury
Film or digi? I wasn't clear from the article. Cool news either way really.
05-30-2016, 12:24 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Film or digi? I wasn't clear from the article. Cool news either way really.
I assume it's film.

And I hope they wont' make anything like the last film Zenit that came out:

They have released some new lenses though.
05-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #120
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I assume it's film.

And I hope they wont' make anything like the last film Zenit that came out:

They have released some new lenses though.
To be fair - there were a lot of cameras with that... um.... aesthetic released around that time.
But, yes: ew.

---------- Post added 05-30-16 at 12:27 PM ----------

I'd reckon with Cosina Voigtlander halting production, there is a bit of a market, if a small one.