Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any PF Filmies Thinking of Snagging a K-1?

Just curious if any of you folks around these parts are thinking of picking up a K-1. I was on the fence but certainly considering it. Having a good look at this morning's specs and quick hands-on previews, not to mention the price has me thinking that perhaps I will retire my (admittedly very infrequently used) K-3 and pick up this guy and THEN be done with the digital race.

If Pentax had never built/released a digital full-frame I intended, very sincerely, that the K-3 was to be my last digital purchase, as I shoot my film bodies more and more, probably 95% of the time over the last two years with no plan for changing that ratio for many reasons everyone here can relate to or otherwise understand. But I'm now genuinely considering this body. Though I don't shoot digi often at all any longer, it would certainly be nice to use all my glass in a non-cropped digital.

02-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Not really, plan on shooting film as long as I can. The last few years or so alot of what has come has been more "glitter than gold", and what has been "gold" hasn't really been that exciting enough for me to fully get into digital, at least to me.
02-18-2016, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I think as long as we have photography as a hobby, we'll never be done purchasing cameras. Be it new, used or otherwise.
02-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I think as long as we have photography as a hobby, we'll never be done purchasing cameras. Be it new, used or otherwise.
That may be more astute than my possibly-deluded viewpoint.

02-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes. And if another good film camera comes along I'll buy that, too.
02-18-2016, 02:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Unless you do your own film developing, you will miss the post processing (fun) part of digital RAW file. I am sure you still use film because you find it more challenging and intriguing than digital version of photography. For me, there is no turning back....besides, I can waste many many shots with DSLR without breaking the bank whereas I can not afford to do the same with film. Nevertheless, I can understand and wish you the best fun you have with film.
02-18-2016, 02:09 PM - 5 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nope not I, never owned a digital camera and never will.

I do however hope that the new K-1 is a big success and those FF is coming threads on the forum finally cease to exist.

Phil.

02-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
... For me, there is no turning back....besides, I can waste many many shots with DSLR without breaking the bank...
Anyone still shooting film today most likely does so for other reasons than you mention. It's not about cost vs number of shots etc. That is old thinking and long in our past.

And I can tell you I don't waste a lot of shots shooting film. I waste a lot of shots shooting digital because it is so easy and therefore I get lazy and I can't equate my digital habits to my film at all. Now if that is the case for you then perhaps you never mastered film or are into sports photography or similar.
02-18-2016, 02:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'd love to have a digital camera on which I could use my old primes in the same way as I do on film cameras. However, as far as I can tell the K-1 mount is still crippled, so it won't work in the same way.

I'll stick with my K3 and little Fuji X-M1 and my ever-growing multitude of film cameras.
02-18-2016, 02:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Unless you do your own film developing, you will miss the post processing (fun) part of digital RAW file. I am sure you still use film because you find it more challenging and intriguing than digital version of photography. For me, there is no turning back....besides, I can waste many many shots with DSLR without breaking the bank whereas I can not afford to do the same with film. Nevertheless, I can understand and wish you the best fun you have with film.
Anyone still shooting film today most likely does so for other reasons than you mention. It's not about cost vs number of shots etc. That is old thinking and long in our past.

And I can tell you I don't waste a lot of shots shooting film. I waste a lot of shots shooting digital because it is so easy and therefore I get lazy and I can't equate my digital habits to my film at all. Now if that is the case for you then perhaps you never mastered film or are into sports photography or similar.
Agreed with Tuco.

That said, I began with film, moved to digital almost exclusively and then slowly back again to film. This happened for a myriad of reasons, not least of which was not *wanting* to deal with the thousands of images digitals allow me to accumulate without a moment's thought. THAT said, I find my digital shooting these days is greatly aided by the practices re-established in my shooting and workflows in film. But all of this is covered ad-nauseam in other threads here and throughout the PF.

I'm just wondering if folks here, PF film shooters (of which I consider myself one by and large) are considering this camera specifically since it's like nothing that Pentax has offered in the past, and arguably checks a few boxes of "reasons to shoot digital" (again or for the first time) previously left unchecked by Pentax offerings.
02-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It does look intriguing, especially the possibility of full frame 43mm Limited.
That's a lot of money though... and I'd probably get bored with it
For $1800, you could buy a Hasselblad with 80/2.8, a scanner, and 120 rolls of Ektar...
I downloaded one of the K-1 RAW samples and played with it. It does make an awful nice file...
02-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Perfectly understood. I am not into sports photography, but rather into event/stage photography. It will be almost not feasible to do film as the performers would not buy that if I can only have a few shots carefully planned.
02-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Perfectly understood. I am not into sports photography, but rather into event/stage photography. It will be almost not feasible to do film as the performers would not buy that if I can only have a few shots carefully planned.
For archival quality stage production shoots, I'd agree that current digital tech is a huge advantage. Does depend on the aesthetic however and that said, I can get some *outstanding* stage shots with a roll of Cinestill 800T, especially pushed a stop or two. Case in point:

---------- Post added 02-18-16 at 02:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
For $1800, you could buy a Hasselblad with 80/2.8, a scanner, and 120 rolls of Ektar...
Now THAT is arithmetic that's difficult to argue with.
02-18-2016, 03:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Sure, stage/event is an area I'd grab a digital over film if I only could carry one camera. But I'd still like to get it a go with BW film if there was enough light and it was for fun.
02-18-2016, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

60 Minutes did a segment on a concert photographer last Sunday and he shots both film and digital. (Not sure if he still shoots film on stage)

Capturing music's "in-between" moments - CBS News

He has a funny story of shooting at a Madonna concert and finding out there was no film in the camera!

Phil.