Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 09:51 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I think as long as we have photography as a hobby, we'll never be done purchasing cameras. Be it new, used or otherwise.
What he said...

Hobby aspect aside, I have been wanting a FF K-mount option in digital from the first time I realized that decent wide-angles were a scarce item for APS-C. One of the reasons I started shooting film again was to have access to a format that I found more intuitive than my crop-sensor camera.

Steve

(...thinking about a yard sale to fund the purchase...perhaps letting out the spare room?)

02-19-2016, 10:06 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
It looks promising but the tiny viewfinder magnification
Yep...almost the same as an MZ-S...

Apparently manual focus was not a priority.

Steve
02-20-2016, 07:10 AM   #33

I'm into tech a whole lot so its very appealing to me. After my k30 lay dormant most of last year I got the digital bug back for some experimentation. The k1 just lends itself to that kind of shooting so I would gladly add one eventually. Also for the full goodness of the quirky old lenses I love finding and hunting down. So many russians I haven't tried! Hopefully sooner rather then later. Also I'm a gear whore, so I doubt there are many things I'd go out of my way to avoid shooting lets be honest here

My expectations are still sound though. Without pixel shift its still kind of a digital mess. And Its not gonna be a 6x7. Nothing really is is it.
02-20-2016, 10:09 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I also wonder what the longest real exposure time will be in aperture priority mode. Will it be like the LX?

Another is actual dynamic range.

02-20-2016, 11:12 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also wonder what the longest real exposure time will be in aperture priority mode. Will it be like the LX?

Another is actual dynamic range.
Everyone is also assuming the old film lenses will be as good on the new digital FF body as they were on the Pentax SLR cameras they were designed for.

Something tells me there will be disappointments when the entire corner to corner image of these lenses is reviled on a FF digital sensor. (There are already issues on the cropped bodies which will be amplified even further)

Phil.
02-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Everyone is also assuming the old film lenses will be as good on the new digital FF body as they were on the Pentax SLR cameras they were designed for.

Something tells me there will be disappointments when the entire corner to corner image of these lenses is reviled on a FF digital sensor. (There are already issues on the cropped bodies which will be amplified even further)

Phil.
That's a distinct possibility.
02-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

Phil.
No doubt there may be quality issues with older lenses. Whether it is attributable to the lens in it's original condition or due to deterioration over the years - or the sensor itself, is something we will find out.

For instance I have tested the resolution of my Pentax M Macro 50mm f4 lens using Kodak Techpan developed in Technidol and it outresolves a Nikon D800 so I am curious how it will perform on the K-1.

Larger version Kodak Techpan ISO12233

02-20-2016, 12:57 PM   #38
Pentaxian

For instance I have tested the resolution of my Pentax M Macro 50mm f4 lens using Kodak Techpan developed in Technidol and it outresolves a Nikon D800 so I am curious how it will perform on the K-1.
I've never been able to test lenses on 120 roll film edge-to-edge. I can't scan my negatives flat enough with my gear. One day I'd like to get a drum scanner or similar. I posted a Tech Pan shot on 120 roll a while back. The film has a steep characteristic curve with deep shadows and highlights falling off fast. I never liked as a general purpose film.
02-20-2016, 01:14 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I've never been able to test lenses on 120 roll film edge-to-edge. I can't scan my negatives flat enough with my gear. One day I'd like to get a drum scanner or similar. I posted a Tech Pan shot on 120 roll a while back. The film has a steep characteristic curve with deep shadows and highlights falling off fast. I never liked as a general purpose film.
Try PanF+, Delta 100 or Tmax 100
Try and get an enlarger you still may be able to still get a 6x6 or 6x7 free.

---------- Post added 02-20-16 at 08:15 PM ----------

No doubt there may be quality issues with older lenses. Whether it is attributable to the lens in it's original condition or due to deterioration over the years - or the sensor itself, is something we will find out.

Larger version Kodak Techpan ISO12233
All the lens tests for the wides in the database will need to be redone?
02-20-2016, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

I understand you have to process in Technidol to tame it somewhat. It is a very contrasty film with very narrow latitude though even when shooting it at ISO25 and using Technidol. But it is ultra sharp and very high resolving.

02-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #41
Pentaxian

I understand you have to process in Technidol to tame it somewhat.
Right, I forgot to mention that. Yeah it was Technidol and hugely responsible. I never shot it enough to try it with another developer because if I couldn't find a development time in something else I'd didn't experiment much in that regard back then.

I know scanning is not the best measure here and I can't say what all Lightroom does on export that might augment grain but I showed highly cropped sections of modern tabular 400 grain next to TP and they were pretty close.
02-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I know scanning is not the best measure here and I can't say what all Lightroom does on export that might augment grain but I showed highly cropped sections of modern tabular 400 grain next to TP and they were pretty close.
Unfortunately I don't know if there is a scanner that will resolve what Techpan can achieve. In my testing, I had to optically magnify my results using my bellows setup.
02-20-2016, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

@LesDeMess what do make of these. I picked that TP shot and 400TMY shot because I knew I used a tripod on them.

TP 6415

400TMY @ EI 100

02-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #44
Pentaxian

@LesDeMess what do make of these. I picked that TP shot and 400TMY shot because I knew I used a tripod on them.
Looks very good but of course TMAX has considerable latitude due to it's low contrast.
02-20-2016, 02:52 PM - 2 Likes   #45
Veteran Member

I don't understand the whole 'legacy glass may be outresolved by such and such sensor' ideas.... in art, and in music it is often the imperfections that make the art what it is... the noise off a vintage synth or amp.... the characteristic vingette on certain lenses.

People make plugins to emulate these imperfections :-)

I love the color cast that the K24 puts into the picture... Not sure that some soft corners don't help a picture in a large number of cases, etc.