Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2016, 01:30 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Along with the universal need for everyone to have a camera with a 50 megapixel sensor, 15fps motordrive and capable of photographing a black cat in a coal cellar at night with no 'noise'...
I clearly reside in a different universal post code.

02-26-2016, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
I don't understand the whole 'legacy glass may be outresolved by such and such sensor' ideas.... in art, and in music it is often the imperfections that make the art what it is... the noise off a vintage synth or amp.... the characteristic vingette on certain lenses.

People make plugins to emulate these imperfections :-)

I love the color cast that the K24 puts into the picture... Not sure that some soft corners don't help a picture in a large number of cases, etc.
Not only do I agree with these statements, Jamey, but I also think that the "legacy glass is outresolved by sensor" argument is likely false for most lenses. The results I've seen from the use of these lenses on FF Sony e-mount cameras looks quite good to me... look at pinholecam's posts in this thread.

Further, many of today's lenses are digitally corrected at the time of the shot, so we never really know how good these lenses might actually be.

The only aggravation I've had with some of my K/M lenses on APSC so far has been the purple fringing, which thankfully now is a fix that involves one or two clicks in Lightroom.

Oh, and though I wouldn't call myself a "filmie" since I'm kind of new to film, I've pre-ordered a K-1 and intend to follow through.

Cheers!
JCD
02-26-2016, 07:03 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bibz Quote
I'm keen to shoot old lenses on it to find out those weaknesses! I very rarely put subjects way in the corner. It's a great tool to add importance or drama, but you can stop down/crop. I don't want a super high contrast super pin sharp everything. I want it different and unique. Modern lens design does everything for the technical and nothing for the art imo.
Well when you multi coat a modern glass low number of air to glass surface lens you get a different signature from an old multi surface single coated lens.

The old lens adaptively compresses the tonal range and pastels the colours.
I got a auto tukmar (55mm /2 '57) as new optically on a junk SP '70 for 40£ last week for my K1000 kit with an adapter. But the sad SP was as easy to use as the K1000 and works ok, as an ugly sister.

I use mono (film) only but the compression adaptively flashes my shadows helping my fixed ISO a bit.

With a digital sensor with sharp cut offs compared with film soft toe and shoulders you sometimes need compression?
02-27-2016, 04:48 AM - 3 Likes   #64
Pentaxian

The fact that I enjoy shooting with my film cameras (alongside digital) will not stop me from (eventually) buying a K-1, but when I eventually get it, the fact that I own a K-1 will not stop me from enjoying shooting with film. Each brings its own special thing to the table.

02-28-2016, 02:30 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Having played with a K-1 yesterday I'm in the "really want one but how can I afford it camp..." I won't stop shooting film, too much fun, but the K-1 is great. Having my 28mm shift have it's true angle-of-view would be great. K.
03-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
For $1800, you could buy a Hasselblad with 80/2.8, a scanner, and 120 rolls of Ektar...
tell me where can I get this deal...

(when you put it like this K-1 sound expensive... )
03-25-2016, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
tell me where can I get this deal...

(when you put it like this K-1 sound expensive... )
I paid $800 for my 500cm with A12, WLF, and 80/2.8
With a bit of looking it shouldn't be difficult to find a kit for that price,
$200 should be plenty for an Epson V550 or V600.
That leaves you with $800 to spend on film.

03-25-2016, 12:56 PM   #68
Veteran Member

As I progressed as a photographer. From a Cheap canon with the two kit lenses to my k50 then to a full film set-up.

I have found film more enjoyable and meets the needs of what I threw at it everytime. I shoot film at every concert and event I photograph. I just cant get the look of delta 3200 with a digital.
O and wet printing a negative is where film shines. So i have no need for a fancy digital camera just a roll of b&w film, some paper, my darkroom and a nice camera and lens combo ( and sometimes auto focus). I got all I need for my photography.

So no k1 for me
03-25-2016, 01:03 PM - 3 Likes   #69
Pentaxian

Not me. I bought my first full frame K1000 back in 1984 and finally wore out the film transport gears a couple of months ago. I just got it back from Eric and it is as good as new, all for $65 + shipping cost to get it to him. I just loaded up another roll of TriX. It might take me another 30 years to wear it out again.

I am not sure I'll be able to do that with the K-1 not to mention that, as much film as I have used in the K1000 since 1984 until the roll I loaded today, I doubt that the K1000 has cost me as much over the past 32 years as it will cost me to buy the K-1 tomorrow.

I am not a Luddite, I was an early adopter of the Q system and use it a lot. It is small and very handy and does everything I need.
03-25-2016, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in the "really want one but how can I afford it camp..."

Wait a year or two and buy one used for a fraction of the current price for new.

Chris
03-26-2016, 02:09 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Wait a year or two and buy one used for a fraction of the current price for new.

Chris
I always wait at least six months with any new product (not just cameras) so that the early adopters can find all the bugs...

K.
03-26-2016, 03:07 AM   #72
Pentaxian

I always wait at least six months with any new product (not just cameras) so that the early adopters can find all the bugs...

K.
You're evil, LOL. Benignly and sensibly evil, but evil all the same. (And yeah, it takes one to know one. Unless I win Ricoh's Facebook competition, I'm sitting on my hands on this.)
03-26-2016, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote

I am not a Luddite, I was an early adopter of the Q system and use it a lot. It is small and very handy and does everything I need.
Ned Ludd was much misunderstood ...
03-26-2016, 06:06 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Waited for too long, about 4 years ago I started to play with old 6x7 rollfilm cameras, film processing and scanning.

By now I have more or less lost interest in the K-mount, and my Pentax digital cameras and K lenses are mostly unused.

I have a little M4/3 Olympus set up to produce lower res 1600 pixel jpgs for the family photos.
I like the jpgs from it for they are smaller size, quality is OK, and I just upload without any processing.

Otherwise I prefer the RB67.

So today I am going out with the K-01 to an indoor exhibit. I have the SMC Pentax -M 1:3.5 28mm on it as I have never really used this lens.

Last edited by wombat2go; 03-26-2016 at 06:14 AM.
03-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Ned Ludd was much misunderstood ...
I agree.