Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 50 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2016, 02:28 AM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I agree.
Printing-Out Processes « Pop – Printing-Out Process « AlternativePhotography.com

Who needs a scanner enlarge on to 8x10 X-ray film and contact print frame...

04-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Not only do I agree with these statements, Jamey, but I also think that the "legacy glass is outresolved by sensor" argument is likely false for most lenses. The results I've seen from the use of these lenses on FF Sony e-mount cameras looks quite good to me... look at pinholecam's posts in this thread.
Agreed - he's got some M20/4.0 shots that are fantastic as well. SMC Pentax-M 20mm F4 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

---------- Post added 04-04-16 at 05:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Not me. I bought my first full frame K1000 back in 1984 and finally wore out the film transport gears a couple of months ago. I just got it back from Eric and it is as good as new, all for $65 + shipping cost to get it to him. I just loaded up another roll of TriX. It might take me another 30 years to wear it out again.

I am not sure I'll be able to do that with the K-1 not to mention that, as much film as I have used in the K1000 since 1984 until the roll I loaded today, I doubt that the K1000 has cost me as much over the past 32 years as it will cost me to buy the K-1 tomorrow.
This is the thinking I've come around to in the past weeks since posting this question. I think at the very least I'm going to hold off for at least a year, likely more.... that is if my K-3 isn't enough for me and, as I've suspected since buying it, I really don't think that's going to happen. It may well be the last digi I buy. But we'll see what prices look like down the road.

For now I'm more apt to follow Colton further down the hole...

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I paid $800 for my 500cm with A12, WLF, and 80/2.8
With a bit of looking it shouldn't be difficult to find a kit for that price,
$200 should be plenty for an Epson V550 or V600.
That leaves you with $800 to spend on film.
This math is sound. As is the sentiment.
04-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
This math is sound. As is the sentiment.
Don't agree pre spotmatic, bulk film, free enlarger, ... contact frame, Salt print, toned,
04-04-2016, 08:54 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Don't agree pre spotmatic, bulk film, free enlarger, ... contact frame, Salt print, toned,
What? OK... sure. Yes, it can be even cheaper.

04-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #80
Veteran Member

I'd placed my pre-order for the K-1 a couple days after it was available, but right now I'm very close to cancelling, why ?......because I've rediscovered film.

It's not the money, it's paid for, but because I'm having so much fun shooting & developing b&w. Doing film has made me realize I have so much more to learn. Even photos with my K-3II have gotten much better since doing film.

Maybe it's crazy cancelling my order, but right now I'd rather work with what I have than buying the latest.....

Just need a little nudge now to help push the cancel button......
04-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by longbow Quote
I'd placed my pre-order for the K-1 a couple days after it was available, but right now I'm very close to cancelling, why ?......because I've rediscovered film.
It's not the money, it's paid for, but because I'm having so much fun shooting & developing b&w. Doing film has made me realize I have so much more to learn. Even photos with my K-3II have gotten much better since doing film. Maybe it's crazy cancelling my order, but right now I'd rather work with what I have than buying the latest.....
Well.... You've come to the right place for a nudge. I'd simply say, get and shoot with whatever it is that excites you. I'll admit the K-1 is still appealing to me but I've held off for the time being because of finances and, quite simply and honestly, because I'm reasonably certain that, like most digital purchases, it will see a month or two of use and then languish on a shelf or in a drawer. Two grand is a lot to have sitting on a shelf or in a drawer. But still... it IS a full frame digital Pentax body and I'm happy it's finally arriving.
04-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are wanting to buy a K-1 just to try your legacy Pentax lenses on, then I would "push" the cancel button.

Unless you have a "reason" to get a FF DSLR, your film cameras and cropped K-3II will do just fine.

Phil.

04-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Well.... You've come to the right place for a nudge. I'd simply say, get and shoot with whatever it is that excites you. I'll admit the K-1 is still appealing to me but I've held off for the time being because of finances and, quite simply and honestly, because I'm reasonably certain that, like most digital purchases, it will see a month or two of use and then languish on a shelf or in a drawer. Two grand is a lot to have sitting on a shelf or in a drawer. But still... it IS a full frame digital Pentax body and I'm happy it's finally arriving.
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
If you are wanting to buy a K-1 just to try your legacy Pentax lenses on, then I would "push" the cancel button.
Unless you have a "reason" to get a FF DSLR, your film cameras and cropped K-3II will do just fine.
Phil.
Thanks, I knew this was the place to come for wisdom & knowledge

Didn't have any legacy lens when I ordered it. Intended to just shoot my FA Ltds for film, only recently have picked up some "M" & "A" series lens. That said, still use the FA Ltds for most of the my film, just can't beat'em especially the FA43.

It's just that I keep asking myself as impressive the K-1 seems to be, just doesn't seem it'll be a benefit right now and would probably be a distraction from I trying to do with film.

As my wife said, I can always get it later......I love my wife, she's awesome
04-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I knew this was the place to come for wisdom & knowledge

Didn't have any legacy lens when I ordered it. Intended to just shoot my FA Ltds for film, only recently have picked up some "M" & "A" series lens. That said, still use the FA Ltds for most of the my film, just can't beat'em especially the FA43.

It's just that I keep asking myself as impressive the K-1 seems to be, just doesn't seem it'll be a benefit right now and would probably be a distraction from I trying to do with film.

As my wife said, I can always get it later......I love my wife, she's awesome
I imagine you're in a similar position I was about 3 or 4 years ago. When I shot film almost 2 decades ago I shot Nikon and stopped because the best part of my entire kit was stolen and I never reinvested (just out of college, very broke and it was just too huge of a loss which was not insured - live and learn).... I got into Pentax DSLRs around late 2006 I think and since then have slowly been accumulating better glass. At one point I bought a K1000 because it had a lens I wanted and the camera sat in a drawer for months. Eventually I shot it. And then shot it some more. And then bought an MX. And then another. And an LX and on and on.... All that time, even before the K1000, I had always opted for FA and legacy glass for both price and the HOPE that a full-frame Pentax would be released.

Well, for the past more than 3 years I've steadily drifted entirely back to film and in 2015 I took out my K-3 only twice for any serious shooting (ironically, other than those two times, it's most frequent use was for photographing film bodies and lenses either for posting here and elsewhere, or for re-selling on Craigslist/Ebay etc) and the transformation has been complete. Now that a Pentax FF is nearly here I'm a bit nonplussed at the idea now.... which is sort of hilarious, but when considering the depth of the Pentax film camera heritage, as well as every other format and camera variety I've dabbled in or plunged headlong into otherwise, it isn't really surprising at all. That's my 2 bits.
04-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #85
Veteran Member

It's done !!

The only Pentax Full Frame for me right now is the original 35mm, the DSLR one will have to wait.

Thanks for the nudge
04-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's done !!

The only Pentax Full Frame for me right now is the original 35mm, the DSLR one will have to wait.

Thanks for the nudge
I suppose then we can expect to see you about.
04-11-2016, 11:25 PM - 1 Like   #87
Pentaxian

It's done !!

Thanks for the nudge
At worst you can order one later on and the price will have come down some and they'll have hopefully fixed whatever bugs are in the release firmware.

First time I've seen someone on this forum be grateful to their spouse for advising them not to buy photographic gear....
04-12-2016, 06:21 AM   #88
Veteran Member

I suppose then we can expect to see you about.

I like it here, more about photography rather than the endless debates about minuscule details of technology

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
At worst you can order one later on and the price will have come down some and they'll have hopefully fixed whatever bugs are in the release firmware. First time I've seen someone on this forum be grateful to their spouse for advising them not to buy photographic gear....

That's kind of what I figured, really don't have time to deal with a new camera right now anyway. My wife helps keep me in check - a good thing !!
04-12-2016, 07:02 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm very conflicted about the K-1, actually. On the one hand, it would be cool to get a DSLR body compatible with my hodgepodge of mostly old-and-cheap lenses. On the other hand, it's really overkill, and a very expensive camera by my standards. On the third hand, the Q7 actually outperforms 35mm film in many ways and is proving adequate for most of my needs.

I still enjoy shooting film, and I like the results I get from it, but the cost and hassles of processing are significant.
04-12-2016, 07:52 AM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's done !!

Thanks for the nudge
Good choice, your FA Ltds are perfect for film cameras.!

Phil.