Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 06:33 PM   #1

P3 acting up. Looking for help.

Hello all

I am having trouble with my p3 film camera. When its powerd on the light meter works as it should but when I press the triger all the way down the meeter disappears and it dose not take a shot and I can't get the light meter to show back up. Powering off and back on fixed it for one shot but know I still can't get a photo off. Has fresh batters role and a half ago.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Adam

02-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Akiy Quote
Hello all

I am having trouble with my p3 film camera. When its powerd on the light meter works as it should but when I press the triger all the way down the meeter disappears and it dose not take a shot and I can't get the light meter to show back up. Powering off and back on fixed it for one shot but know I still can't get a photo off. Has fresh batters role and a half ago.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Adam
It could be several things. My first suggestion is to get on the fleabay, and get another one.
Once you have a good replacement, then I would try some contact cleaner, lighter fluid, or spray brake cleaner on the shutter button, after taking out the film and batteries.
spray, drip, or whatever down and around that button and press it repeatedly, then let it dry out for a day, and try it again.
If it does not work, oh well, if it does, yay.

Those P3 bodies are very cheap to find nowadays.

It would not take much coffee or soda dripping round that button to make a sludge that prevents the switch working.
Then again, it may just be a worn out switch, or a bad switch that finally failed.

In any case a repair is likely to cost more than the body is worth on the market, get another one.
02-20-2016, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This behaviour happened to mine. In my case, the cap of the battery compartment (which acts as one of the terminals) had developed some mild corrosion which, when gently scrubbed off, fixed the issue. It recurred once adn the same fix did the trick.

That doesn't mean it is the only possible cause, but it is the most immediately rectifiable.
02-20-2016, 08:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
Update and more qustions I pressed the film rewind button and tried to shoot agen and it worked. Any more ideas?

02-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Update and more qustions I pressed the film rewind button and tried to shoot agen and it worked. Any more ideas?
Umm, the P3 does not have a film rewind button.
Are you sure you have a P3??

Pentax P3/P30 - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

---------- Post added 02-21-16 at 11:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
This behaviour happened to mine. In my case, the cap of the battery compartment (which acts as one of the terminals) had developed some mild corrosion which, when gently scrubbed off, fixed the issue. It recurred once adn the same fix did the trick.

That doesn't mean it is the only possible cause, but it is the most immediately rectifiable.
After I posted, I realized I had forgotten about the battery cap and inner terminal, yep, both should be cleaned.
02-21-2016, 07:03 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
Umm, the P3 does not have a film rewind button.
Are you sure you have a P3??

Pentax P3/P30 - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

---------- Post added 02-21-16 at 11:04 ----------

After I posted, I realized I had forgotten about the battery cap and inner terminal, yep, both should be cleaned.

my p3 has a rewind button I double checked the manual. Battery terminal is shinny clean.
02-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

my p3 has a rewind button I double checked the manual. Battery terminal is shinny clean.
Hmm, your rewind button. Is that a small recessed button on the bottom, that releases the winding lever so that you can rewind using the manual crank that you unfold from the top?

If so, then ok, I guess that is a rewind button. Some motor drive cameras have a button that rewinds the film using a motor, which is what I call a rewind button. But yeah, I have to admit,the release button is also called a rewind button.

So, hmm, you pressed that and it started working again? weird. If that was my camera, I would order up a replacement asap, because once the body starts acting wonky like that, it's likely on its last leg. I would not trust it.

Good luck!
02-21-2016, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
I would try some contact cleaner, lighter fluid, or spray brake cleaner on the shutter button, after taking out the film and batteries.
spray, drip, or whatever down and around that button and press it repeatedly, then let it dry out for a day, and try it again.
If it does not work, oh well, if it does, yay.
Ive cut Mike's advice a bit electrical contact cleaner is best option.
Also wipe battery + and negative contacts and camera + and negative contacts cotton bud (a qtip?) soaked in contact cleaner as well. Leave 24 hours and repeat.

A eg K1000 is expensive cause they are going to last longer... And you can use them in rain, not recommended bit like beating wife or other partner.