Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 08:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax ZX-30

Hi Guys,
I picked up a Pentax ZX-30 about a year ago from KEH for $10.00. It sat on my shelf for about a year untill I put a FA 50mm 1.7 lens on it today.
Apparently it is all electronic and uses batteries...two CR2 for the body and a 2025 battery for the back plate (date function).
Has anyone used this or know anything about it. I can't even look through the viewfinder right now because I don't have batteries yet and the mirror is locked up.

02-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have one. I paid $13 for mine at a local shop. It's not a bad camera just not terribly feature rich: single AF point, inability to use M/K lenses. But it does have an Av mode that works without touching the aperture ring, unlike the MZ-S I replaced it with.

I mean....what do you want to know about it? The meter seems to work reasonably well and the AF seems to be accurate enough most of the time, although I only shot two rolls with the the thing just to try out an AF film camera.
02-21-2016, 09:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I have one. I paid $13 for mine at a local shop. It's not a bad camera just not terribly feature rich: single AF point, inability to use M/K lenses. But it does have an Av mode that works without touching the aperture ring, unlike the MZ-S I replaced it with.

I mean....what do you want to know about it? The meter seems to work reasonably well and the AF seems to be accurate enough most of the time, although I only shot two rolls with the the thing just to try out an AF film camera.
...same here, I never had an AF film camera and was curious about results. I have a K1000 so I can use pretty much any of my K mount lenses except the DA's.
I Ebay'd a couple of batteries for it so I guess I'll wait and see if it even works at this point.
02-21-2016, 10:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The mirror motor in that series used nylon gears. They age poorly, and the motor shaft gear cracks, letting the mirror flip up and stay. A number of years ago, replacement motors with brass gears were available at US Camera and on ebay, but the supply appears to have dried up. If you can pull the mirror down with your finger, and it flips back up when you release it, this is probably the problem. If you can find a replacement motor, it will cost more that the camera is worth to buy and have installed. Sorry to give you bad news. I have an MZ-7/ZX-7 with the same problem.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot S95  Photo 
02-22-2016, 12:17 AM   #5

In one of the many threads on the lockup problems for this series of cameras there is a link and part number for a company in Germany that sells a brass gear that is compatible. There are also DIY repair instructions in the thread. I don't have it bookmarked but you should be able to find it with the forum search tools.

I believed Eric will work on this series of cameras - whether or not he can get parts is the question.
02-22-2016, 08:25 AM   #6

Let's hope the K-1 is built better!
02-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Pentax MZ-5 MZ-10 ZX-50 SLR Replacement Mirror Motor Brass Gear New Genuine | eBay