Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2016, 07:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Lomo Lady Grey 400 ISO cassettes and SP 23102 cassette chamber!

Lomo Lady Grey 400 ISO cassettes and SP 23102 cassette chamber seem to be incompatible.
Spool end of cassette I tried in 'new' SP did not enter baseplate hole of SP properly.

A vernier calliper of ones that worked ok gave 1.08-1.09cm, the failing Lomo 1.12cm.
It was not obvious the cassette had not bottomed in the baseplate recess until the sprocket shaft started to chew perforations out of film.

The vernier calliper may not be calibrated.

The film is rebadged Tx or Tmax, although not edge printed as Kodak, the DX code is 010764, the code is next to the aluminium foil ISO squares, for auto cameras.

The Lomo brick shop staff confessed to film type after I confessed to home souping film. They are all very professional.

The SP wind on is rather smoother than my K1000s,(- no apostrophe).

02-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

What is "SP 23102" ?
02-27-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
What is "SP 23102" ?
As near as I can tell, the Spotmatic...
02-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The camera says

Asahi
Pentax
Above the mount

Spotmatic
Above the self timer

SP
2856xxx
On top plate

On bottom plate

A Spotmatic from about '70 I think...

If you have one be careful with Lomo cassettes...

03-04-2016, 09:13 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Lomo Lady Grey 400
So now the big question might be where Lomography is sourcing the current verion of LG 400 from. Do they indicate a country of origin? It is unusual for a film canister of "western" origin to not fit a Japanese body made in the last 55 years. I have only had that problem with one of my bodies, namely using modern canisters in my Kiev 4A (1961 vintage). The chamber was made for a somewhat shorter canister than current standards shoving the film a little low between the rails.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-04-2016 at 09:22 PM.
03-05-2016, 01:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Lady Grey is T-Max 400. I use it quite a lot (though not in an SP I think) as it's the easiest 400 B&W film for me to find around here. I've never had any problem with it not loading properly into a camera.

135 cassettes are a standard size but manufacturing errors are always possible. I'd also say it may be worth bearing in mind that older cameras tend to have less refined film transport systems and also may be suffering from age, though again, I've never experienced any problems.
03-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Lady Grey is T-Max 400. I use it quite a lot (though not in an SP I think) as it's the easiest 400 B&W film for me to find around here. I've never had any problem with it not loading properly into a camera.

135 cassettes are a standard size but manufacturing errors are always possible. I'd also say it may be worth bearing in mind that older cameras tend to have less refined film transport systems and also may be suffering from age, though again, I've never experienced any problems.
Confirm it is Kodak TMax400 rebadged and edge marked different.
My SP works perfectly with Ilford and Agfa Vista(Fuji) cassettes.

The Lomo is ok in the K1000, the K1000 has a bigger bottom plate hole.

The post was to indicate if your SP does not load Lomo lady grey don't blame the SP, the Lomo/Kodak spool end is too big to enter the SPs bottom hole. The cassette does not fit!

I've also had reloadable cassettes that would not accept the 'Kodak' spools.

03-05-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
So now the big question might be where Lomography is sourcing the current verion of LG 400 from. Do they indicate a country of origin? It is unusual for a film canister of "western" origin to not fit a Japanese body made in the last 55 years. I have only had that problem with one of my bodies, namely using modern canisters in my Kiev 4A (1961 vintage). The chamber was made for a somewhat shorter canister than current standards shoving the film a little low between the rails.

e.

Steve
The DX code on the cassette is a Kodak code. The Lomo outer box says made in the USA...
The diameter of the outer spool is too large for my SP that accepts all the other spools I have to hand.
The 135 cassettes should be compatible with the DIN from '30 on physical dimensions I got very small scatters on other commercial plastic spool ends.
I'll check the '65 Kiev I have to hand next. Thanks for the prompt.

Noel
Note
I tend to rattle through a cassette of film, like it was digital, but I also had a bag of other film (HP5+) to hand, so I was not inconvenienced. It might be different for the rest of you.

The SP is in a bad way cosmetic, areas of chrome pitted mirror coating lifting but is way smooth to wind on close to a Leica M2! My K1000s are like USSR WWII T34 tank turrets by comparison, but they all work ok for me.

Last edited by Xmas; 03-05-2016 at 09:03 PM.
03-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
The DX code on the cassette is a Kodak code. The Lomo outer box says made in the USA...
I guess that solves it!

I tried several recent make Kodak cassettes in my SP 23102 last night with no problems on any of them. Have you contacted Lomography about this?

Steve
03-07-2016, 03:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I guess that solves it!

I tried several recent make Kodak cassettes in my SP 23102 last night with no problems on any of them. Have you contacted Lomography about this?

Steve
No because it was at a brick shop not web.
I don't record batch numbers throwing the outer box into a recycle bag immediately
And it is a Kodak problem with spool acceptance they have not done a Demming like most USA and Ja companies.
And it is only likely to affect SPs which locate on the reel end the pukka thing to do.

My only interest was stopping other users from the panic attack I got when my SP started to chew sprocket holes.

I'll load the film into a K1000 instead.

Kodak lost the plot when they let green boxes into every pharmacy, and ignored ten patents.

Lomo need to be more careful.