Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #1

K1000 repair question

Hello,

Just a quick question for people here who know more about K1000 repair than I do (and I think this covers just about everybody on this forum ).
To make my long story short, I ended up with a K1000 that came attached to a lens I bought from Craiglist. It was supposed to work "just fine", but obviously it doesn't. Working the film advance lever does not advance film and does not cock the shutter. The lever feels very loose. Does anybody have any idea what to look for when and if I take the camera apart? I got the official repair manual, but it is not very helpful... I like to be able to use the camera as a refreshing alternative to my MF rig, but given what I paid, I am not too worried about ruining it either.

Thanks in advance!

Maria

02-11-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I can't help you with your repair question, unfortunately, but if you can't get yours fixed, I'll sell you mine. It's in excellent working condition, and has only one cosmetic flaw, the front right side of the camera is missing the skin covering, and shows the bare metal.

I don't know if the hot shoe works, because I don't have a flash, but the exposure meter is dead-on accurate, and it takes great pictures. All the mechanical parts work smoothly.

I don't have it listed for sale, but I'd be willing to part with it if you're interested.
02-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. Your description sounds like a frequent problem with the Chinese version of the K1000. They used a plastic top and bottom cover and changed some of the internal component materials. The film advance stem was changed to a pot metal like material and does break. If you have repair experience and tools, its no problem. The challenge is getting the replacement part. Eric Hendrickson is a retired Pentax employee that got all their repair stock. You can find him on the internet. He's not been answering his phone lately. Otherwise, check Gene Pate in Ft Wayne. If it hasn't been retimed lately, you might consider just sending it in. Good luck and let us know how you do.
Dave....
02-11-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
msp

Original Poster
Thanks to both of you! Dave, I am afraid you nailed the problem, and this opens a whole new can of worms. This camera appears to be very old and beat up (assembled in Hong Kong, but metal top and bottom plates - late '70s or early '80s, perhaps?). I got the bottom plate off and did not see anything wrong. The top is not coming off anytime soon, though - the screws are old, stripped and stuck. I do not have the tools to handle this properly, so my repair adventure will have to wait. Oh, well... I wanted the lens and the lens is what I got .
All in all, my own stupidity is to blame. I think I know a lot more about this camera than the poor soul who sold it to me. Before the sale, she took it to Wolf's Camera to be looked at. Folks there assured her that the camera is fine and "just needs a battery to run." She faithfully conveyed the message to me, I figured that they meant the exposure meter battery (nothing new) and drove off. Nope. I think they thought it needed a battery to pull film... There is a funny side to just about every story.

Maria

Matt - Thanks for you kind offer. I'd love to take you up on it, but I have just blown my budget by aquiring a K10D, so any other photo purchases will have to wait for a while.

02-12-2007, 05:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by msp Quote
Matt - Thanks for you kind offer. I'd love to take you up on it, but I have just blown my budget by aquiring a K10D, so any other photo purchases will have to wait for a while.
No problem. I acquired my K1000 the same way you did--it was attached to the lens I wanted, an SMC Pentax-M 1:1.4 50mm.

It is a Chinese-made K1000, so it is subject to the same breakdown problems yours has, but at this time it functions flawlessly.

I don't intend to use it much, so if at some point in the future you are interested in buying it, just let me know.