Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2016, 05:46 AM   #31

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Did you aquire this just recently? Think I saw the eBay listing.

Fun with such findings, regardless. Part of the fun with old stuff like this
It wasn't on ebay - I picked it up just last month on the domestic market when I was travelling through Japan. The seller was so nice, he even threw in a 105/2.8 Takumar gratis which is a mighty lens.

03-07-2016, 06:00 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As you may realize, the Leica, and especially it's lens, is a very desirable collector's item, the sort of lens that makes Leica aficionados go bleary-eyed.
I was under the impression that "super" was added to the name of several Takumars when auto-diaphragm was added (I had a 135mm f3.5 Takumar that was pre-set, later a "Super Takumar" 135 f3.5 that had auto diaphragm). There may have been some change in the lens formula, but I'm not sure of that.
03-07-2016, 06:10 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
As you may realize, the Leica, and especially it's lens, is a very desirable collector's item, the sort of lens that makes Leica aficionados go bleary-eyed.
I was under the impression that "super" was added to the name of several Takumars when auto-diaphragm was added (I had a 135mm f3.5 Takumar that was pre-set, later a "Super Takumar" 135 f3.5 that had auto diaphragm). There may have been some change in the lens formula, but I'm not sure of that.
'

You had a three steps:

1. Presets were named just Takumar, there were presets made far into the 60's as well. Even as the Auto- and Super were out. For instance the 135mm f3.5 came in a 46mm filter dia, chrome and silver, and then later a all black version was released, 49mm filter dia, but still as a preset.
  2. Semi-automatic were called Auto-Takumar
  3. Automatic were named Super Takumar, later even S-M-C Takumar. But one exception, the first 55mm f1.8 with auto diaphragm were also named Auto-Takumar, just to make us confused.
03-07-2016, 06:13 AM   #34
Pentaxian

... the first 55mm f1.8 with auto diaphragm were also named Auto-Takumar, just to make us confused.
I have one of those and yes I was confused...!

03-07-2016, 06:34 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

'

You had a three steps:

1. Presets were named just Takumar, there were presets made far into the 60's as well. Even as the Auto- and Super were out. For instance the 135mm f3.5 came in a 46mm filter dia, chrome and silver, and then later a all black version was released, 49mm filter dia, but still as a preset.
  2. Semi-automatic were called Auto-Takumar
  3. Automatic were named Super Takumar, later even S-M-C Takumar. But one exception, the first 55mm f1.8 with auto diaphragm were also named Auto-Takumar, just to make us confused.
Yes: My preset was black (focus ring) and brushed-gray. My "Super" was all black and fully auto, not the cock-lever system. But, was the optical design the same? As I recall, the Super had a significantly lager front element. BTW, I recently spotted a few of the preset versions on EBAY, identical to mine, at least one in remarkably clean condition. Mine, together with the Asahi Pentax S body and other stuff, was stolen while it was still in use. I replaced it with either a Heiland or Honeywell Pentax, forget which, then the 1st version of the Spotmatic which is sitting in a drawer.
03-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Yes: My preset was black (focus ring) and brushed-gray. My "Super" was all black and fully auto, not the cock-lever system..
Hi

Sorry I was a not to exact on the Takumar presets. The 135mm came in two versions, chrome and black (1957-1961), and an all black (1961-1962).

The preset, Auto-tak and Super Tak were all the same optical design except for the filter diameter.

The semi-automaics, called Auto-Takumar, (except for the noted 55mm one), was found in focal lengths 35mm, 55mm, 85mm, 105mm and 135mm.
03-10-2016, 04:06 AM   #37

Just noticed a Pentax K for sale on ebay in Japan for 180 USD with a 105/2.8 Takumar. Condition is a bit so-so.

09-08-2016, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

Interesting thread.

I have just been extremely lucky tonight. I managed to pick up a Pentax K with zebra 55mm lens (original plastic cap) and, wait for it, the original box, owners manual and receipt of purchase. But it doesn't end there. Takumar 135/3.5 with original case and box and, oh, it gets better. Among the manuals and other interesting paperwork, an extra manual. A Pentax S Owners Manual ....... (no camera)
09-08-2016, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I have just been extremely lucky tonight. I managed to pick up a Pentax K with zebra 55mm lens (original plastic cap) and, wait for it, the original box, owners manual and receipt of purchase. But it doesn't end there. Takumar 135/3.5 with original case and box and, oh, it gets better. Among the manuals and other interesting paperwork, an extra manual. A Pentax S Owners Manual ....... (no camera)
SCORE !!
Pictures Please
09-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have just been extremely lucky tonight.
Lucky indeed as original paperwork - particularly one dating this far back, are very rare. But consider us all from Missouri - the Show Me State, as we will need to see some proof of this haul!
09-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting thread.

I would love to buy the S manual if you want to sell it.

Please post some pics.
09-08-2016, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

I will definitely share through photos. Allow me the weekend to arrange the loot for family photos.

Baard-Einer, sorry, the S manual is being held tight as I already have an S without its manual - Oh and on that note I think I scored an AP manual too, I will post photos for everyone to comment.
09-10-2016, 03:53 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Veteran Member

Pentax K Camera P0rn

X posted from the camera p0rn thread

The brochure (I originally thought it was a Pentax AP manual) shows a black AP ...... now that must be a rare camera - has anyone seen this?

Enjoy

09-10-2016, 09:35 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

The brochure (I originally thought it was a Pentax AP manual) shows a black AP ...... now that must be a rare camera - has anyone seen this?

Enjoy
Looks even better in pictures. Have a chance to exercise it yet to make sure everything works as it should?
09-10-2016, 10:38 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Enjoy

[/url]
There are pictures of a black Ap elsewhere on the forum. They exist but not seen often for sale.

That booklet on the right looks neat. Never seen one like that before.

The K looks good. Envying that box. And really cool that you have the original recite.