Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2016, 03:05 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax ME fires when winding

Hello,

I picked up a Pentax ME, which is not in his best shape, with some corrosion on the brass (advice here maybe. ), an in unknown working condition. As soon as I got home I installed fresh batteries in it and it worked. All the speeds were good. But after some cleaning and some test shots without film, the camera started to act funny. It now releases when I wind the lever. As soon as I finish the wind, and slightly release the lever, it fires, apparently at the indicated speed in the viewfinder. But still, this is not normal behavior. Any ideas please?

Thank you

03-04-2016, 06:33 AM   #2

Original Poster
Ok, so I found what the problem was, the timer is probably damaged, and remained somehow engaged, and after fiddling with the camera it did his last "second" and the camera returned to normal.

Also. Are there any similarities of internals between ME and ME F?
I have the latter but does not power on.
03-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I had a ME F that the internal power switch contacts below the shutter button were out of adjustment and did not make contact. if i "poked" the top one with a screw driver tip the camera would power up, for some reason I could never get them back into adjustment for more than a couple shots. I gave up on it after I found a pristen ME F on Shopgoodwill.com of all places! The ME F also has a fickle battery door, that is easy to break.
03-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yep, mine has the battery door a little loose.
Do you have a repair manual or something ( @kneemeister ), I can not find any of those.
This camera is also in mint condition, but only a display piece for now.

03-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by findlandezul Quote
Yep, mine has the battery door a little loose.
Do you have a repair manual or something ( @kneemeister ), I can not find any of those.
This camera is also in mint condition, but only a display piece for now.
I had downloaded a copy of the repair manual but dont remember where, I will check my PC when I get home tonight. Did you try to hold the battery door closed and see if it powers up. I found a junk one on ebay for a few bucks to get a new battery door for the one that had the power issues. As I said when I got the good one I stopped working on it and sold it for parts basically just for the price of shipping.

I ended up sending my ME to Eric and its as good as new, so I can never decide anymore between my ME, ME F or Super Program! Then I keep hearing my old Ricohs calling
03-04-2016, 02:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
I did, i even "taped" it in place, fresh batteries, no luck.
In my country they are very rare, might be under 5, and very few are also on ebay europe.
My only hope is to find a repair manual and start working.