Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #46
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by icemendicant Quote
I've actually just bought this LX, which is why I joined the forum and looked for LX related articles - small world!

Well, thanks Russell, for your quick and friendly emails on eBay. I've been looking for one of these in 'new old stock' condition for a long time and was very pleased to get this. I certainly don't begrudge you your windfall - I simply bid what I thought this is worth, and what it took to make sure I won the auction. It's always nice to see someone have a bit of good luck so I hope you manage to get your 31mm lens and have something left over - did you mention you have a baby on the way? Many congratulations!

As for what I'll do with the camera... well, it will certainly get some use from me. Although I am a bit of a collector - particularly 1970's and 80's manual SLRs - I couldn't let something as lovely as this go unused. So it will get a few nice lenses, and I'll probably ask Luigi to make it a black leather half-case, and then it will be out and about getting some gentle but regular use. By lucky chance there was even a new flash sync cover going on eBay at the same time as this auction.

I'm new to Pentax cameras, unless you count our family Optio WP digicam ;-) so would be grateful for any advice as to the real gems of the Pentax K lenses. I have my eye on a 24mm f/2.8, just because I really like that focal length, but any other pointers would be appreciated.

All the best,

Dan
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy that system and post lots of pictures here to show off. Loweels advice on the lenses is solid. I'll also note my favourite flash, even today but with my LX is the AF400T and there is one on Ebay now at $99.00 They used to sell for $599 here.

I also had an M SMC 100mm Macro f4 and the M SMC 20mm f4 with my LX. Both excellent lenses if you can locate them.

07-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'll also note my favourite flash, even today but with my LX is the AF400T and there is one on Ebay now at $99.00 They used to sell for $599 here.

I also had an M SMC 100mm Macro f4 and the M SMC 20mm f4 with my LX. Both excellent lenses if you can locate them.
Peter is quite right, the AF400T is superb – and cheap nowadays. As a more portable alternative the AF280T is great and robustly build. I bought mine together with my LX and it still works fine after nearly 25 years.

Ben
07-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #48

Original Poster
Congratulations, and Welcome!

QuoteOriginally posted by icemendicant Quote
I've actually just bought this LX, which is why I joined the forum and looked for LX related articles - small world!

Well, thanks Russell, for your quick and friendly emails on eBay. I've been looking for one of these in 'new old stock' condition for a long time and was very pleased to get this. I certainly don't begrudge you your windfall - I simply bid what I thought this is worth, and what it took to make sure I won the auction. It's always nice to see someone have a bit of good luck so I hope you manage to get your 31mm lens and have something left over - did you mention you have a baby on the way? Many congratulations!

As for what I'll do with the camera... well, it will certainly get some use from me. Although I am a bit of a collector - particularly 1970's and 80's manual SLRs - I couldn't let something as lovely as this go unused. So it will get a few nice lenses, and I'll probably ask Luigi to make it a black leather half-case, and then it will be out and about getting some gentle but regular use. By lucky chance there was even a new flash sync cover going on eBay at the same time as this auction.

I'm new to Pentax cameras, unless you count our family Optio WP digicam ;-) so would be grateful for any advice as to the real gems of the Pentax K lenses. I have my eye on a 24mm f/2.8, just because I really like that focal length, but any other pointers would be appreciated.

All the best,

Dan
Dan,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the camera. I would also recommend the K or M 100mm f4 Macro if you like to do macro work as Peter pointed out. I shot the pics in the auction with the M version and it is one of my favorite lenses. Very sharp.
Thanks for the kind words and yes, I have ordered my FA31 and the rest will go in the baby fund for daughter #2. As listed in the auction, 10% of the proceeds are going to the "Greyhound Friends for Life" non-profit (incredible dogs, but that is another story) and I have also donated to this board.
The camera is shipped and you have an e-mail with all of the details. I am glad that you will use the camera. I seriously considered keeping it and using it myself but I couldn't afford to keep it and feed my LBA (lens buying addiction) so I had to make a hard choice.
Please do show us some photos with the setup when you are up and running!

Russell
07-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #49
Inactive Account

Thank you for the kind welcome

Thanks Lowell, Peter, Ben and Russell for your welcome and advice. Lowell, I have spotted a K 50/1.2 on eBay which I'll keep an eye on, and I will certainly look out for the flashguns as well, and the other lenses as time goes by... I know what you mean about LBA

I'll certainly post some pictures from the LX once I have put a few rolls through it.

All the best for now!

Dan