Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #1

My E-Bay LX - Incredible

Last week, I took a chance on a minimal listing for a Pentax LX and FA-1 finder that was listed with this discription:

Listing Title: PENTAX LX BODY with VF in BOX
Description: This is a very clean goood working order in open box PENTAX LX body only. Buyer to pay shipping charges of $18.00 to continental US, I accept PAYPAL , Money order or cashier check.
Picture: Stock pic of low quality.
Seller Feedback Rating: 100%

It was listed with buy it now for $189 plus shipping so I took a chance. What I received was a LX body new in the box with a matching new FA-1 finder. Both items are in all of the original packaging, brand new, never been used, including all accessories and manuals.
I am in a quandry now because I wanted a good LX to use and enjoy but what I received is, I believe, a collectors item. The seller confirmed to me that the camera has never been used and sat in a shop unsold. I can't bring myself to take the protective plastic sheet off of the film platten and load a roll of film.
What should I do with this beauty?

Attached Images

07-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Collectible LX

Sp you're the one.

I would keep it as is, but then I have a hard time selling a lens that I don't even use. I certainly wouldn't use it.

If I had to sell it to pay for a user I would expect 5 times what you paid.
07-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What a quandary! Maybe you could sniff around for a collector?

As for me, I know what I would do. I always wanted an LX, but was dirt poor at the time. I would treat it as if it was 1985 and I had just walked into the camera store and plunked down my money and walked out with a new treasure. I would use it and grin every time I pressed the shutter and moved the precision wind lever. I would revel at being able to use such a wonderful precision tool.

What a treat for you.

Now, if you are still having a hard time deciding, you can just send the camera to me. I will cover your initial investment plus all shipping expenses plus another $50 for your trouble.

Steve
07-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #4

New old camera...

Collecting anything can be tricky. No matter what the "appraised value" might be...you've still got to find someone who will pay you that amount for it.

However, I'm biased. I only buy cameras I intend to use. I would have ripped open the box, and put a dozen rolls through it by now. To me, that sounds like a whole lot more fun than trying to find someone who will pay you "big bucks" for it because they want to add it to their collection of Pentax cameras.

But then, that's just me. I still bulk load my B&W.

07-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

As for me, I know what I would do. I always wanted an LX, but was dirt poor at the time. I would treat it as if it was 1985 and I had just walked into the camera store and plunked down my money and walked out with a new treasure. I would use it and grin every time I pressed the shutter and moved the precision wind lever. I would revel at being able to use such a wonderful precision tool.

What a treat for you.

Now, if you are still having a hard time deciding, you can just send the camera to me. I will cover your initial investment plus all shipping expenses plus another $50 for your trouble.

Steve
The temptation is great to do just that - but once done there is one fewer NIB LX in the world.

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Film Guy Quote
Collecting anything can be tricky. No matter what the "appraised value" might be...you've still got to find someone who will pay you that amount for it.

However, I'm biased. I only buy cameras I intend to use. I would have ripped open the box, and put a dozen rolls through it by now. To me, that sounds like a whole lot more fun than trying to find someone who will pay you "big bucks" for it because they want to add it to their collection of Pentax cameras.

But then, that's just me. I still bulk load my B&W.
If in fact I COULD find the right collector and was able to realize a significant gain, I would turn right around and get another LX, plus additional system components that I couldn't afford before. I would then send the entire kit to Eric and have him make it perfect - and thus get the same thrill with more stuff!

But then I don't have the camera - and I'm trying very hard not to scream with frustration since I have a saved ebay LX search. I swore off new purchases
07-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The temptation is great to do just that - but once done there is one fewer NIB LX in the world.
Yes, that is my hesitation exactly.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If in fact I COULD find the right collector and was able to realize a significant gain, I would turn right around and get another LX, plus additional system components that I couldn't afford before. I would then send the entire kit to Eric and have him make it perfect - and thus get the same thrill with more stuff!

But then I don't have the camera - and I'm trying very hard not to scream with frustration since I have a saved ebay LX search. I swore off new purchases
Yes, I am thinking that I would rather have a FA31 for use on my current film bodies and keep looking for a user LX to have CLA'd.
You would have had to be very quick on the Buy It Now button to have beat me out on this one. I searched and it was the first listing on the page. Must have been up for less than 5 minutes. Right place at the right time I guess.

Russell
07-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

What a treat for you.

Steve
Steve, wow a $50 dollar profit? I don't know if I can pass up an offer like that!
I can certainly see your point of view on using the camera. It is an amazingly watch like precision tool.

07-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #8

Original Poster
More Photos

Here are a couple more shots for your viewing pleasure, or displeasure, depending on your point of view.

Last edited by felix68; 06-14-2009 at 11:59 PM.
07-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I understand the feeling very much. Having owned 2 of these magnificent tools, I would hesitate for a moment before loading the first roll. But only for a moment. I'm with Steve on this.

Why not put it under glass or sell it to a collector? Because this is as others have said, a precision tool designed for one purpose only. To take pictures and do it as well or better than any camera ever built. To deny this camera to opportunity to fulfill it's purpose would be a huge mistake. If I were a collector, I'd value a worn out, well used camera that had taken 153,247 shots before the shutter wore out. That camera goes under glass.

There is one other significant reason. LX's are known for having mirror bucket issues when not used. Many will be aware that the 'sticky mirror syndrome' has been common. It happens 90% of the time because the camera was left sitting around and not used.

Last argument. (Pardon me to the female members but the reverse would also apply). So if you were 'given' an unlimited relationship with Julia Roberts or Angilina Jolie (pick your own favourite). Would you pass her on to another suitor or ....

Last edited by Peter Zack; 07-09-2008 at 04:08 AM.
07-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
Here are a couple more shots for your viewing pleasure, or displeasure, depending on your point of view.
Argggghhh...the pain, the pain is growing worse!!!
07-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
Forum Member

What a Beautiful Camera....

Nice find, this is one of those 1 in a million find.
I got a supposedly inoperative MX from KEH for 12 bucks, it turns out it works perfectly. But my score pales in comparison to yours.
I've owned several LX's and they are truly something special.

Congrats!
07-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just use the damn thing, it's only a camera. And it's not like it's worth tens of thousands of dollars, hardly more than $400.. Yes, I do like it very much and I am happy for you but, come on. USE IT!
07-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Keep it... use it... enjoy it....

You have paid a VERY low price for a GREAT user camera... a new one.

If you do as you say, sell it and try to get another LX CLA'd, you will forever be comparing that camera to the new one you let get away.

You've paid so little for this camera, save a few more pennies to get your accessories. Don't get rid of the camera. I fear only regret lays down that path.
07-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Keep it... use it... enjoy it....

You have paid a VERY low price for a GREAT user camera... a new one.

If you do as you say, sell it and try to get another LX CLA'd, you will forever be comparing that camera to the new one you let get away.

You've paid so little for this camera, save a few more pennies to get your accessories. Don't get rid of the camera. I fear only regret lays down that path.
Your completely right: There is no comparisson to using a new camera the first time. I can still remember the excitement, when I bought my LX, just a couple of months after its initial release. I sold off my complete Yashica (FR-1 and FR) equipment, just to be able to afford the LX with the M 50/1.4 Then I went to the dealer and got this beauty with the unique velvet sachet... I used it the same day, ofcourse. So should you - and enjoy the mechanical precision

Ben
07-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Last argument. (Pardon me to the female members but the reverse would also apply). So if you were 'given' an unlimited relationship with Julia Roberts or Angilina Jolie (pick your own favourite). Would you pass her on to another suitor or ....
Yes, but neither of them are hardly "new and unused," please pardon the vulgarity

IMO...I would treat it like I did with my K10. Unbox it, handle it, treat it like a museum piece. Carefully remove the plastic, and admire it. Touch it in every way possible, and enjoy its lines and virgin paint.

Then get out and use it, but treat it like it's the only one you'll ever have. That way, it lasts and lasts...and still looks good Make it feel special, and it will make you feel great inside.